Ugh... Lugging all our gear through the airport.

Dallas_Lady

I only work for the vacation money
This is our first trip with the baby, and it is amazing how much stuff an 18 pound kid needs! Along with our things, we will have the take her stroller and carseat through security and onto the plane with us. I know everyone in security is going to be rolling their eyes when they see us trying to manuever all this gear through the checkpoint.

Any tips for lugging the baby gear? Sympathy perhaps? :scared:

It's not really hard. Put the baby in the stroller and the carseat on someone's back in a carseat satchel. Keep your carryons to the absolute minimum, except that you should carry food/drink/clothing for baby for 24 hours, and a spare shirt for each parent. More than one rolling carryon will be a nuisance if you are pushing a stroller and carrying a carseat; stick with a backpack if you can. No purse for Mom, either; put the essentials in the diaper bag.

Remove all extra parts from the stroller before leaving home, and put them in your checked baggage, including the hood if it comes off without tools. Do not use the stroller basket while in transit, you must fold the stroller for the security x-ray, and to gate-check it. (Fold and secure it yourself, DO NOT expect the airline to do it properly. I recommend a bungy for extra security.)

OK, more re: security: if your child doesn't walk yet, don't bother putting shoes on at all when travelling, just go w/ socks. If he does walk, bring a set of walking reins to keep him from escaping while you get through security. Also, don't dress baby in overalls that have metal fasteners; they can set off the alarm. Make sure your own shoes (Dad's too) are slip-ons. Take off all outer jackets, belts, etc. and put them in the carryon or carseat satchel before you approach security -- with the kid to wrangle it's best if you don't have to participate in the undressing sideshow. (Oh, and empty your pockets, too, the only thing in them should be your id and boarding passes.)

Get a laptop sleeve for dad's laptop, and carry it inside the daypack. Any cords, etc. can go in the checked bag. I agree that he won't get to watch anything on the plane except maybe the Wiggles, but the reason that I'm not telling you to skip it is that on your first trip w/ baby you're likely to take a gazillion photos, and he'll want it for downloading them.

It *is* still possible to pack light with a baby, but you have to redefine your definition of light. The most important thing is to let go of the idea that light = carryon only, because the carseat and the stroller make that more trouble rather than less. Check a bag, but make it one large bag for everyone. (Of course, not TOO large, you don't want to go over the weight and size limits.) I find that my definition of "light" now revolves around how many pieces we take rather than their size; if we do one carryon, the stroller and carseat, and one checked pullman, we're able to navigate any subway in the world, and that's light enough for us.

Do you have a seat on the plane for your DS? Or is he going to be sitting in laps? If it's laps, then you can just check your carseat when you check your luggage. The stroller can be checked at the gate (don't forget to get the special tag for it at the ticket counter at the gate). If you do need the carseat, I recommend one of you holding DS and maybe putting the carseat on the stroller to wheel it around. Might be easier that way.

Don't forget about any liquids in the diaper bag (including the sippy cup). That includes diaper cream and whatnot. Put it in a quart sized ziploc for security. We just bought water/milk for the sippy after we passed through security to keep things easy.

The stroller will have to go through the scanner so be sure to have it folded up and ready to go when you get to the checkpoint. And they did make us remove our DS's shoes as well, so remember that. Don't forget to breathe and smile, it will be OK!! :)

Are you traveling with a travel system infant seat/stroller combo, or a convertible (front facing/rear facing) car seat?

I have only traveled w/convertibles and a combo seat... When we used our Touriva (aka Scenera) 5pt car seat I was able to flip the f/fing "foot" down and hook it on the stroller basket and then ran a bungie cord thru the f/fing belt path and hook either ends to the sides of the stroller (so the car seat and stroller were back-to-back) This worked great and actually didn't tip the lightweight umbrella stroller over! My ds could sit in the stroller seat this way. I have also put the car seat on a metal luggage cart I bought at Target, and have just rested it on top of a small carry-on size suitcase we bought a short while ago to carry our sensitive eqmt (ie laptop, digital camera/camcorder, dvd player) in. No, we don't travel light! :)

Tips for getting thru security can be found on the TSA site as well.

A few things to remember if you're traveling w/a convertible car seat that may help you:
when putting your convertible car seat thru the X-ray machine (if this is what you're traveling with), place it front side down and it will usually fit thru the opening easier this way. If she's still using the infant carrier then this may not be an issue.

When boarding the plane, put the car seat upside down so the seat is resting on your fore arm (it will look like an upside down "L") and it will fit down the narrow aisle easier.

I'm sure you'll do fine and actually, they're probably really used to seeing families with all their "stuff". At our airport, families with young children actually get put in the priority lane so we get thru security faster, which is nice.

hth!

The only tip I can share...........smile pretty and pray alot!! ;)

It won't be as bad as you think! The first trip to WDW we lugged a double jogger, 2 carseats and a playpen along with suitcases, backpacks and 3 kids - the youngest 2 were 8 months and 27 months!!! I have to admit I was slightlyconcerned! It was a pain in the @ss having to unload them at security and remove all the shoes and stuff but that trip was soooo worth it!! We loved travelling with them so much that the next year we took them to Mexico....again a double jogger, 2 carseats and 3 kids!!

In 45 days will be our best trip yet........it's a surprise trip and I am soooo excited!!!:woohoo: Hubby & I will be taking our 4 daughters.....our newborn who will almost 4 months, our just turned 3 year old, our 4 1/2 year old and our 12 year old (who happens to be legally blind)....so that's 3 carseats, I decided to bring the tandem double stroller, baby in a maya wrap sling and our visually impaired 12 year old...........and I have no worries, so you will be fine. I promise you, you will actually be wonderful and no one will be staring at you with 1 child going to Orlando as there is always some crazy family like mine on most flights there that help divert everyone's attention!!!:rotfl:

Oh......my 1 tip....no diaper bag or purse - backpack!!! ;)

HAVE FUN!!!

Thanks so much! DH and I used to pride ourselves for being light packers. Hah, no anymore!

We bought a seat on the plane for her, so we will be taking the carseat on the plane. The stroller is umbrella-style and I plan to gate check that. DH has a piece of medical equipment (a CPAP for sleep apnea) that he always carried onboard. I am going to take a backpack which will serve as a combination purse/diaper bag/day pack in the parks. DH wants to take the laptop so we can watch a movie on the plane. To me that's just one more thing to carry and I don't really want to take it.

PrincessasMommy, I bow to your skills :worship:

Skip the laptop!!!! They are heavy and with all the other crap you have to take, it's just not worth it. If you are taking a convertible seat, I'd either buy a carseat bag with wheels (that is what we use) or get a luggage cart and attach the seat to the luggage cart with bungie cords. Very cheap and easy to do.

We actually check our stroller and carry my ds in a sling to the gate.

DH has a piece of medical equipment (a CPAP for sleep apnea) that he always carried onboard.

Be prepared to take the machine out and show that it works. DH travels with his and it hasn't been a problem.

When we travel we have 2 kids (2.5yrs and 10mo), 1-2 suitcases, 1 backpacking bag, travel diaper bag (also holds our snacks, my book, toys to entertain, etc), DH sachel with his CPAP machine, 2 strollers (both are gate checked; 1 big 1 medium sized), 2 carseats (1 checked, 1 carry`on). We think that security runs and hides when they see us coming!

We load up the kids in the strollers, bring the diaer bag and sachel, and strap the carseat to our back. Gate check can be tricky as we ahve to take kids out and collapse strollers, I really wish that they would ahve a "family line" as people sem to get upset when a family holds up the line.

Nah. No simpathy. You'll be just fine.

Step 1. Get a carseat dufflebag. Its really priceless for airports. (Its the perfect place to stow a removable stroller trey, if your's has one. Keeping it off the stroller will make it easier to get the baby in and out at check points.)

Step 2. Only carry on one or two more bags that are easily grabbed out of the stroller basket. Have your zip loc bag of toiletries in an outside pocket that you can find and present easily.

Step 3. Flip flops.

Now you're good to go, stress free.

Thanks so much! DH and I used to pride ourselves for being light packers. Hah, no anymore!

DH wants to take the laptop so we can watch a movie on the plane. To me that's just one more thing to carry and I don't really want to take it.

QUOTE]

Good luck with that. Judging from my experiences, your DH is living in a dream world if he thinks he'll be able to watch a movie while traveling on a plane with a baby. :rolleyes1 Maybe your baby is different & either will fall asleep or watch the movie with him, but that NEVER happened to me.

Good luck with that. Judging from my experiences, your DH is living in a dream world if he thinks he'll be able to watch a movie while traveling on a plane with a baby. :rolleyes1 Maybe your baby is different & either will fall asleep or watch the movie with him, but that NEVER happened to me.

I totally agree, I am trying to talk him out of this. I just know we'll spend the whole time trying to keep DD from attacking the laptop. I think he just wants to do it for the novelty of it.

The child will be way more impressed with the seat back barf bags, magazines, window shades, etc. than the laptop. I made that mistake before. I don't carry hardly anything for him any more because I've found that no toy, etc. is near as fascinating as all the interesting germ covered things that live on the airplane. :lmao:

When mine was that size, I pushed the car seat flipped over on the stroller, used a hip sling to tether the child to me, and pulled the rolly bag behind me. Worked wonderfully. You have to remove the child from the sling to go through security though.

We just returned 8/26 . I have a 10yo and 21 mo old. It was sort of a pain getting the baby through security. removing shoes , folding stroller etc.
We carried on way too much stuff. Next time we will travel lighter. HA HA ! we always say that. We did buy a seat for the baby and brought his car seat on. To me this was much better and safer than holding him on my lap.
just keep a good sense of humor and have a lot of patience. Get to the airport early. Those security lines can get pretty long.

Enjoy your trip!
:)

When mine was that size, I pushed the car seat flipped over on the stroller,

Me too, we piled everything up on that poor stroller. A baby is way easier to carry than a car seat is. It doesn't have to fit nicely, just so it makes it so that you can push the stroller with the carseat resting on it. It is quicker when you get to the loading area for the carryon x-raying. You could handle the backpack and baby, while DH loads/unloads the car seat and stroller from the conveyor belts. We've always taken advantage of preboarding for families with small children or folks with special needs. We get in, get the car seat installed and are seated with carryons stowed by the time the other passengers board.
Good luck to you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter