Ugh!!!! Leg pain

wvjules

DIS Veteran
I started week 2 of the C25K last night and I was unable to run every 90 second run. I did the first one with no problem but then the front of my legs really started hurting. I *think* the pain is too low to be shin splints though. Its really frustrating. I can deal with the burning muscles and work through those but this pain is frustrating. When will my muscles adjust to this darned thing called running? I'm looking forward to the day when I'm relatively pain free!

Oh, the pain is low on my leg, almost where the the foot and leg meet but slightly higher. I'm not sure how to stretch that muscle or even in which direction to stretch it. Very Frustrating!

Do you stretch before you go out? Sometimes that front of the leg pain is actually from a lack of calf strength because it has to over compensate.

I just had a conversation like this a few months ago with someone at work who is attempting to walk more. There is a bit of a bell-shaped pain curve (for lack of a better explanation) when you start a new workout regiment. This goes for running, walking, weight training, cycling, and just about everything else. For our bodies to build stronger muscles some breakdown is needed. At first this will be a bit more painful as the muscles get used to coping with the added stress of exorcise. After a few sessions in the gym or days on the road the recovery time will shorten and the pain associated with it will be shorter.

Of course that doesn't mean you should ignore an injury but with experience you will be able to differentiate between the 'good' pain of a hard workout and the bad pain of an injury.

Do you stretch before you go out? Sometimes that front of the leg pain is actually from a lack of calf strength because it has to over compensate.

I just had a conversation like this a few months ago with someone at work who is attempting to walk more. There is a bit of a bell-shaped pain curve (for lack of a better explanation) when you start a new workout regiment. This goes for running, walking, weight training, cycling, and just about everything else. For our bodies to build stronger muscles some breakdown is needed. At first this will be a bit more painful as the muscles get used to coping with the added stress of exorcise. After a few sessions in the gym or days on the road the recovery time will shorten and the pain associated with it will be shorter.

Of course that doesn't mean you should ignore an injury but with experience you will be able to differentiate between the 'good' pain of a hard workout and the bad pain of an injury.

We stretch before and after running. I will do more calf stretching to see if that makes a difference. I really think it is growing pains so to speak. My poor body is in shock and wondering what is happening. :laughing: The pain usually ends shortly after running ends and doesn't linger into the night or following day. Walking on it doesn't hurt at all, just running. :confused3

We stretch before and after running. I will do more calf stretching to see if that makes a difference. I really think it is growing pains so to speak. My poor body is in shock and wondering what is happening. :laughing: The pain usually ends shortly after running ends and doesn't linger into the night or following day. Walking on it doesn't hurt at all, just running. :confused3

Yeah, that sounds like your muscles are saying "you want me to do what" as opposed to being injured.

Also, when in doubt as to what any muscle does or how to stretch it remember that every muscle can only pull, not push. The hamstring pulls your lower leg back and up towards it but when you straighten the leg it isn't the hamstring pushing it back down, it is the quadricep pulling the other way.

Just don't over stretch to the point of injury and if the pain starts to stick around for a while you might want to adjust to a slower increase in daily or weekly mileage.

I realize that this thread hasn't been bumped in a while, and you might not be having the problem any more, but have you made sure you're running in the right shoes for your feet? I've been having similar problems, and I'm headed off in the very near future to our local sports store that offers custom evaluation and fitting. I'm pretty sure (based on the different wear on the outside of my shoes) that I have an overpronated gate, and probably need shoes to balance that.

Just a thought.

Yes, I was properly fitted for shoes. I have Brooks Ravenna. The shin splints are now gone. I think they were just "growing pains".

Anyway, I'm off to the doctor today about a different problem. My numbing feet! Grrrr! It is so frustrating. Towards the end of my runs my toes start to tingle then the tingling/numbess spreads over the feet. It is like running with concrete boots on. And its not just one foot, its both! As soon as I stop running/walking the pain goes away. I really, really want to love running but these persistant problems are making it difficult! lol

Oh, my shoes aren't tied too tight either. They are really lose and the numbness stops even while the shoes are still on so that's not the issue.

I probably should have gotten a physical before starting this program. :laughing:

Yes, I was properly fitted for shoes. I have Brooks Ravenna. The shin splints are now gone. I think they were just "growing pains".

Anyway, I'm off to the doctor today about a different problem. My numbing feet! Grrrr! It is so frustrating. Towards the end of my runs my toes start to tingle then the tingling/numbess spreads over the feet. It is like running with concrete boots on. And its not just one foot, its both! As soon as I stop running/walking the pain goes away. I really, really want to love running but these persistant problems are making it difficult! lol

Oh, my shoes aren't tied too tight either. They are really lose and the numbness stops even while the shoes are still on so that's not the issue.

I probably should have gotten a physical before starting this program. :laughing:

I was having this same problem with my left foot and it seemed no matter how I laced my shoes towards the end this would happen. I put some small foam arch supports under my insole and it completely went away! It may be worth a try. I have good shoes but, evidently my left arch is a tad higher or something.

Dr. said I was fine but ordered some bloodwork to look for B12 defiency and anemeia.

After I left the Dr. I went home and got my shoes and headed for the shoe place to get insoles or something to help. They told me I was in the wrong shoes!?!?!? I'm like "what"? I got these here. lol The guy that fitted me for them gave me those shes based on a slight overpronation and nothing for my arch. They also weren't wide enough for my foot. The two people that worked on me yesterday said that my pronation is so slight that I could stick with a neutral shoe and I have the biggest arches they've seen in a while. So now I have a nifty new pair of Saucony Ride 2 and some arch supports. All of their shoes come with a 30 day guarantee so I just pretty much traded them in. Tonight I'm going to run in just the shoes and see how it feels. Maybe I can save myself $40 and return the additional arch supports.

I'm excited to get out there tonight to test them. If I have numbness I think I will break down and cry. :sad2:

Oh, the guy that fitted me the first time was the owner. :laughing:

Dr. said I was fine but ordered some bloodwork to look for B12 defiency and anemeia.

After I left the Dr. I went home and got my shoes and headed for the shoe place to get insoles or something to help. They told me I was in the wrong shoes!?!?!? I'm like "what"? I got these here. lol The guy that fitted me for them gave me those shes based on a slight overpronation and nothing for my arch. They also weren't wide enough for my foot. The two people that worked on me yesterday said that my pronation is so slight that I could stick with a neutral shoe and I have the biggest arches they've seen in a while. So now I have a nifty new pair of Saucony Ride 2 and some arch supports. All of their shoes come with a 30 day guarantee so I just pretty much traded them in. Tonight I'm going to run in just the shoes and see how it feels. Maybe I can save myself $40 and return the additional arch supports.

I'm excited to get out there tonight to test them. If I have numbness I think I will break down and cry. :sad2:

Oh, the guy that fitted me the first time was the owner. :laughing:

Mistakes happen but that isn't the best way to start a relationship with a running store. Hopefully your new shoes will correct the pain.

I have one of the most neutral gaits you can find but I still replace the standard lining with SuperFeet Blue inserts. I have found that the additional arch support keeps my feet from fatiguing too fast and they corrected a problem I had with some soreness in the side of my foot.

These are the insoles I got.

I know mistakes happen and I would have been pissed if I had to buy new shoes but they did right by me. I'm also more knowledgable about running shoes now than when I first started. I know they are the experts but I had no clue about shoes before going in the first time. They were comfortable but apparently not the right shoe. Now I know about stability, arches, cusions, shock absorbtions, neutral, lightweight, widths, etc. I'm a more informed consumer now. :thumbsup2

I hope this works. I really, really, really want to like/love running!

Jules, sounds remarkably similar to what I'm going through! For me, my shoes made me hurt after 2 c25k runs because my doc says I've got two things going against me right now - new shoes changing the way I'm aligned and the fact that my body isn't happy about this whole exercise/running thing. Rest, ice, anti-infammatories, and wear my shoes a LOT. She did say that I would run, would be able to train and do my half (or full if I were to ever get there...) but I have to give my body time to adjust to the new everything. Let us know how the new shoes work out, and there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Hang in there! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter