Ugh..Disney cancelled

son3disfan

DIS Veteran
So, we are set to leave for our 25th anniversary Hawaiian cruise tomorrow ( with three night stay at Aulani after) and tonight, I get “ the call”
We booked the Disney luau the night of our actual anniversary, and I just received a call that Disney cancelled it. Apparently another event on the lawn that night, (next week), and they forgot???? How can that be!!!
We had VIP booked are were soooo looking forward to celebrating and not having to drive or go anywhere. I know it’s not a big deal, and won’t ruin a vacation or anything like that, just wanted an amazing memory for that actual night. Totally bummed. And what an excuse.
I don’t have enough time to really research something new.
I looked at the Luau next door, but we are not really not sure about it. Reviews are not so great ( food) and it appears to be very busy- lots of people. We were hoping for something a bit more intimate.
We already have dinner booked at Ami Ami the next night , for our last night.
Any other ideas for a traditional Hawaiian luau, on Saturday nights that is not super crowded, near by? Any other ideas for something memorable? I mean, we are in Hawaii, and so grateful we can spend it there. Just disappointing when plans change so unexpectedly without time to research something new.
Thanks for any input.

Sorry about the late notice. We are headed there in 4 weeks for our 25th wedding anniversary. I know that my SIL and MIL went to the Luau at Paradise Cove next door and enjoyed it. My daughter was with them and she says they walked there from Aulani. Have a great trip and don't let this spoil your trip. Happy 25th to you!

If its a luau you want, Paradise Cove is a fine choice. Its also walking distance. If you're ok with doing a memorable meal, Roy's is walking distance and there is some fine dining at the Marriott and Four Seasons too I believe. Have a good trip!

We enjoyed the show very much at Paradise Cove and the food was okay but it is very crowded. I would look for an alternative if you're looking for a smaller luau.

You can do the Fia Fia luau. I know it is held every Tuesday at Marriott Koolina Beach Club next door but you need it Saturday. They also do the show down the road at Wet N Wild but they are not available on Tuesday and Saturday. Here is the link http://www.chiefsluau.com/

Paradise Cove does have a large crowd, but we did the highest package, so we got in first and were served at our table, so we really had zero feel of being crowded. If you can still snag one of those levelsl, I think you’d still feel pretty intimate. We really enjoyed it, especially sitting right up front.

And I may get blasted for saying this, but I would absolutely (once I got there) speak to Aulani management about the way it was handled and ask them for a comp or at least a nice deep discount on that AMA AMA meal. They know you can’t really replace an experience like that at the last minute.

W were there in May last year for our 40th anniversary and did Paradise Cove. We loved it, and the night we went it was definitely not crowded, but this time of year may be totally different. And if you decide to go, I agree with the earlier comment of trying to get the higher priced package and sit closer. But overall, it was a very pleasant and enjoyable evening and certainly an easy walk. Good luck, and congratulations on your 25th!

And I may get blasted for saying this, but I would absolutely (once I got there) speak to Aulani management about the way it was handled and ask them for a comp or at least a nice deep discount on that AMA AMA meal. They know you can’t really replace an experience like that at the last minute.

I would agree with this. The worst they can say is no. Perhaps they can offer a discount on a spa service, which would be a nice thing to do for an anniversary.

I would change your anniversary dinner to Ama Ama which would be more romantic and memorable for me than any luau. Perhaps the Aulani luau is offered one of your other nights.

Got to agree with @BCV23 that celebrating your anniversary at Ama Ama would be a really good choice.

I’ll put in another endorsement for Roy’s across the street. The butterfish I ate there 2 1/2 years ago is one of the most memorable dishes I’ve ever eaten.

Roy's would be great, Paradise Cove Luau is great, Ama Ama is great. Don't know what the 4-seasons offers but I am sure it would be top notch as well. If you go to Paradise Cove be sure to buy one of the packages that gets you served at your table. They also bring drinks to your table as well.

While I haven't been, I've heard Turtle Bay offers an amazing luau. They're a hop, skip and jump away on the North Shore, but considering the reviews are stellar and it's offered at one of the nicest resorts on island, plus the drive itself is breathtaking, it might be worth your drive.

Paradise Cove does have a large crowd, but we did the highest package, so we got in first and were served at our table, so we really had zero feel of being crowded. If you can still snag one of those levelsl, I think you’d still feel pretty intimate. We really enjoyed it, especially sitting right up front.

Just returned from our trip. Funny you should say that, as that is what I did, when I arrived. And we were given....
NOTHING! Nada. Zilch. I was not expecting anything, but I had the same idea.
I want to add that this visit, our first time, was much different then our Disneyworld and Disney California visits.
The place was beautiful! Dining was lovely ( very expensive) and we just loved the beach and lazy river. Our room was also beautiful and we were given a gorgeous Island garden room (932) with a view of....you guessed it. The luau grass. What was different was customer service. They were “ friendly” but it was lacking that special Disney Magic, that, “ what can I do to make your trip wonderful” kind of feel. After we asked for some kind of compensation ( again asked without expectation) I offered perhaps a “ discount” on our dining on our special night. I wasn’t even looking for a free meal. Flatly, sorry there is nothing we can do, these things happen, and was cancelled due to weather. Hmm, weather? It was a glorious sunny night. And I was told there was another event on the grass. Ok. Whatever. We head up to our room. No cable/ working TV. For our entire visit. I call the front desk. Ask what compensation they are providing for this? Sorry there is nothing we can do as it is in all staterooms. And then, we head down to the adult pool for an 6 pm swim. Pool closed for private engagement. No access. We weren’t informed. No “ heads up. Also, no cable , we just ate, we don’t really drink much, no tv, beach was dark at 8.
And there is nothing they can do.
So, we didn’t let it ruin our short visit, but honestly we were disappointed we were lied to ( nothing happened on the grass area- they must have needed staff at that adult pool so they canceled the luau. Worse yet, I see people posting that they were given room credit for the TV being out for the week.

That was our Island garden studio room view. Saturday night. That is 4:30 pm, so technically, the time the luau would have begun the events.
The weather was beautiful.
So , did we still enjoy our stay? Yes, was it everything we expected? No. So we filled out our survey accordingly. Really try not to let things get to us on vacation. But did we feel like we were heard? Not really. We could have been a bit more aggressive and fought a bit harder to be heard, but instead, we just went to bed early. There really was nothing else to do! Lol.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter