Uber TAXI now available in Orlando

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
As of Noon yesterday (I think) Uber and Mears have teamed up to offer Uber Taxi in the Orlando market.

You order a taxi through your Uber app, which gives the convenience of paying by credit card and all of the Uber safety features. ALL of the taxis will be Mears -- no other companies -- which is a good thing.

I did a basic fare check on the Uber rider app and the Uber Taxi fare is a little bit more than Uber Select. I checked Disney Springs to MCO and got the following fares:
  • Uber X $28.51
  • Uber XL $41.03
  • Uber Select $ 53.88
  • Uber Taxi $56.14
  • Uber Black $74.40
So for those who want to take a taxi with the convenience of Uber, now you have it.

As of Noon yesterday (I think) Uber and Mears have teamed up to offer Uber Taxi in the Orlando market.

You order a taxi through your Uber app, which gives the convenience of paying by credit card and all of the Uber safety features. ALL of the taxis will be Mears -- no other companies -- which is a good thing.

I did a basic fare check on the Uber rider app and the Uber Taxi fare is a little bit more than Uber Select. I checked Disney Springs to MCO and got the following fares:
  • Uber X $28.51
  • Uber XL $41.03
  • Uber Select $ 53.88
  • Uber Taxi $56.14
  • Uber Black $74.40
So for those who want to take a taxi with the convenience of Uber, now you have it.
Can you pay with an Uber gift card?

Do you pay thru the Uber app?

Is the fare the same as ordering a taxi directly, or does Uber add a service charge, and does it fluctuate with Uber's demand algorithm?

Interesting to see the change after Mears sold out. The new owners are much more open minded about the ride sharing concept. I can't comment on Mear Taxis, but my impression of many others are they were outdated, uncomfortable, smelly beasts. I'm not sure why I'd want to pay more for a Taxi though.

Do you pay thru the Uber app?

Is the fare the same as ordering a taxi directly, or does Uber add a service charge, and does it fluctuate with Uber's demand algorithm?
Yes, you pay through the app -- so I assume you can use any payment Uber accepts including gift cards.

I don't know how the fare calculation is done or how it compares to regular taxi fares. I got the info second hand and just did a quick app price check.

Interesting to see the change after Mears sold out. The new owners are much more open minded about the ride sharing concept. I can't comment on Mear Taxis, but my impression of many others are they were outdated, uncomfortable, smelly beasts. I'm not sure why I'd want to pay more for a Taxi though.
I think Mears has always been a cut above the other Orlando companies. The one picture I've seen was a new Toyota Camry Hybrid...

600x379

I think Mears has always been a cut above the other Orlando companies. The one picture I've seen was a new Toyota Camry Hybrid...

600x379
Sure -- that's the one they want you to see. :)

Just a small percentage of their fleet is hybrids, but most of their fleet is fairly late model compared to some of the smaller companies.

Forgive my ignorance, but why would someone want to take a taxi instead of a regular uber?
Some people feel more comfortable with a traditional taxi, possibly because of the licensing requirements, different background checks, and the fact that they are dealing with a company that is responsible for safely maintaining the vehicle and has a real person to talk to and a physical address, as opposed to an entity generally reachable only by email whose customer service seems to be focused more on isolating the company from the outside world than on actually responding to customers' concerns.

Many people still see transportation networking as having a Wild West aura.

Some people feel more comfortable with a traditional taxi, possibly because of the licensing requirements, different background checks...
except that in many places in Florida (Orlando and Miami being two of them), the background/licensing requirements are actually LESS stringent for taxi drivers than rideshare drivers.
and the fact that they are dealing with a company that is responsible for safely maintaining the vehicle...
I'm not sure many people ride in taxis because of the quality of the vehicles, lol!
...as opposed to an entity generally reachable only by email whose customer service seems to be focused more on isolating the company from the outside world than on actually responding to customers' concerns.
Uber's customers service -- for RIDERS -- is actually pretty good.

For drivers, it can be extremely variable. I've always had good service as a driver too, but I really haven't had many issues to contact support about.

But for drivers, the REAL problem with Uber and Lyft is the constant stream of pay cuts. They come in various forms, but they go only in one direction -- down.

Many people still see transportation networking as having a Wild West aura.
That was true years ago. I think rideshare is pretty well established and people feel comfortable with it. I know in Miami, rideshare has completely taken over the business traveler market.

except that in many places in Florida (Orlando and Miami being two of them), the background/licensing requirements are actually LESS stringent for taxi drivers than rideshare drivers. I'm not sure many people ride in taxis because of the quality of the vehicles, lol!
I was expecting to hear from you. :)

Aren't fingerprints still required for taxi drivers? And Mears has a business incentive to keep its vehicles in good and safe condition; an individual Uber driver can do or not do whatever he/she wants, since there are no inspections.

You can argue all the facts, but the question was why some people are still uncomfortable with rideshare. So facts don't matter, it's perception that does.
Uber's customers service -- for RIDERS -- is actually pretty good.
My one experience as a rider was about the same as when I was a driver. The only means of contact was thru the app, where I had to select from predefined categories and issues, none of which really fit the situation. And they just threw a $5 credit at me. That was nice of them, but they never really addressed the issue.

There was no visible way to make phone contact, and if there were, I'm confident I would've been talking to an overseas call center trained to follow scripts, and nothing more.
That was true years ago. I think rideshare is pretty well established and people feel comfortable with it. I know in Miami, rideshare has completely taken over the business traveler market.
Obviously some people still do not feel comfortable, or the question would not have come up.

an individual Uber driver can do or not do whatever he/she wants, since there are no inspections.

Not sure about FL, but in WA drivers have some oversight on their vehicles. My ex was trying to do rideshare driving, but his 2005 car is too old.

I was expecting to hear from you. :)

Aren't fingerprints still required for taxi drivers?
Not in Miami, and I'm pretty sure not in Orlando. There is a minimal background requirement, but I think in both cities you submit your info online.

Fingerprints are a straw-man argument anyway. As long as you know who the person is, the background will be accurate. When they are verifying name, date of birth, address, social security number, driver's license number, vehicle registration info, and a dozen other things -- they KNOW who we are.
And Mears has a business incentive to keep its vehicles in good and safe condition
Uh, no. Actually, they have a business incentive to keep their costs down -- although I think Mears specifically does provide decent vehicles.
; an individual Uber driver can do or not do whatever he/she wants, since there are no inspections.
Aw, c'mon Joel. You know better than that.

You drive a lousy car, you get low ratings and pretty soon you get deactivated.

Taxi drivers don't get rated, and there is no feedback loop for them. There's a reason why taxis are called "the name which cannot be spoken" lol.

You can argue all the facts, but the question was why some people are still uncomfortable with rideshare. So facts don't matter, it's perception that does....

Obviously some people still do not feel comfortable, or the question would not have come up.
True, and that is one of the biggest hurdles rideshare has -- particularly Uber. Uber is magic click-bait for "news" outlets, and the worse news, the better.

But people who use them know. I can't tell you how many riders tell me they specifically use Uber because the cars, and especially the drivers, are much better than taxis. And now...I'm getting numerous people selecting XL (at more than double the fare in Miami, unlike Orlando) because the drivers and cars are better.

Last edited:
Not sure about FL, but in WA drivers have some oversight on their vehicles. My ex was trying to do rideshare driving, but his 2005 car is too old.
Joel was right above. In Florida, we no longer have vehicle inspections for rideshare vehicles. I personally don't like that, but that's a decision the Legislature made.

However, your ex would have been fine in FL with a 2005 vehicle. We used to have a 10-year limit, but just a few months ago both Uber and Lyft went to 15 years. I hate that, and I suspect Joel does too.

But at the rates they're paying drivers, they have to lower standards. In Orlando, drivers are actually paid a little less than the IRS says it costs to operate a vehicle for business purposes. In Miami, we're maybe 1 1/2 CENTS per mile above that number.

Uh, no. Actually, they have a business incentive to keep their costs down -- although I think Mears specifically does provide decent vehicles.
The incentive is that if they have accidents or break-downs due to poor maintenance, it's on the company, not the driver, and if it happens too much they will lose goodwill, and maybe even support by local government. Uber would blame the driver.
Aw, c'mon Joel. You know better than that.

You drive a lousy car, you get low ratings and pretty soon you get deactivated.
I was specifically talking about safety-related maintenance. Uber doesn't know and doesn't care how much brake liner is left or whether cars are subject to a safety recall, for example. I'm not saying that Uber cars are unsafe, just that there is no earthly way of knowing.

And if more ‘concerned’ people book the pricier services, perhaps regular uber prices will drop!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter