Uber general aka real world

Just wanted to let everyone know that I did not know that there was two places by the same name and uber picked the one further from me for some reason glad I thought of going to there web site

Most drivers work for both lyft and Uber. Lyft seems tinge a more decent company and higher-ups but I don't think that changes the rider experience.

You'll have to check each for any given ride you want for the price.

With Uber and Lyft, price can vary based on demand. If there is high demand, the price will be higher than during a low demand period.
There are two price considerations:
  • Surge pricing (called "Primetime" by Lyft) -- this in very localized dynamic pricing based on sharply higher demand. Think of ordering a ride at the close of a big concert, or closing time at MK. Surge pricing may be a LOT higher than regular. It's important to know that both companies don't necessarily surge at the same time, or to the same degree -- it's a function of how many requests they are receiving and how many drivers they have available. That's why I have both apps on my phone.
  • "Up-front pricing" -- I know Uber uses Up-front pricing, and I believe I recently read that Lyft now uses it in the Orlando market as well. With Up-front pricing, the price you are quoted is the price you pay. So if the driver has to detour because of an accident, for example, you don't pay more. The up-front pricing may vary from one company to the other, and may also vary from what you are used to paying. But you will pay the price you are quoted, so it gives you some assurance of the cost of the ride.
Safety is the same. Both companies have to comply with strict vehicle, insurance, and driver background investigation standards set by the State of Florida. As noted above, many drivers drive for both companies, so you are often talking about exactly the same car and driver with both companies.

Uber has been a bad press magnet for the last six months or so -- some of it justified, some not. None of that will affect the rider experience at all with either company -- not at WDW, or anywhere else on the planet. Either company will provide a better rider experience and much lower price than most alternatives.

I did not think about the bad press I was thinking in general I should have explained myself in the op my mom and I are working on my independence and getting used to uber and lyft is one of the last things to check off believe it or not

my mom and I are working on my independence and getting used to uber and lyft is one of the last things to check off believe it or not

Makes sense to me. Have you started with normal cabs already?

I personally am made very nervous by the non-cab rideshares! I used lyft twice in the last couple weeks and it was fine. (In CA)

Last edited:
Our recent uber driver explained to us that where Uber gives you the price upfront, Lyft is more like a taxi and you do not know how much it costs until you get to your destination.

For that reason, we prefer Uber so we know how much we will be paying before we get into the vehicle.

I did not think about the bad press I was thinking in general I should have explained myself in the op my mom and I are working on my independence and getting used to uber and lyft is one of the last things to check off believe it or not
Both systems are easy to use. After a few rides, you'll be very comfortable.

The big advantages of ridesharing are not only lower price, but usually nicer cars than taxis and also much more convenience. I live in the suburbs of Miami. If I call a taxi, it's 45 minutes to an hour for them to pick me up. Uber is less than 5 minutes, and Lyft would be less than 10 minutes.

Generally speaking, Uber is much more widespread and has a lot more drivers than Lyft -- so Uber pickups will usually be quicker and easier. But that's not true in every market, so you might want to try both and see if you have any preference.

The biggest key for a new rider is simply to be ready to get into the car when you order the ride. Pickups are usually pretty quick, so be ready.

Also, at first, I would avoid Uber Pool and Lyft Line. Those are like car-pooling, which means that the driver may have to detour to pick up another passenger. Three things wrong with that: a) it will delay you, b) it may take you into a neighborhood you'd rather not visit, and c) neither you not the driver knows what that other passenger will be like. They could be very nice...or not.

The few bucks you might save are not worth the negatives, IMHO...especially for people new to the system.

Both systems are easy to use. After a few rides, you'll be very comfortable.

The big advantages of ridesharing are not only lower price, but usually nicer cars than taxis and also much more convenience. I live in the suburbs of Miami. If I call a taxi, it's 45 minutes to an hour for them to pick me up. Uber is less than 5 minutes, and Lyft would be less than 10 minutes.

Generally speaking, Uber is much more widespread and has a lot more drivers than Lyft -- so Uber pickups will usually be quicker and easier. But that's not true in every market, so you might want to try both and see if you have any preference.

The biggest key for a new rider is simply to be ready to get into the car when you order the ride. Pickups are usually pretty quick, so be ready.

Also, at first, I would avoid Uber Pool and Lyft Line. Those are like car-pooling, which means that the driver may have to detour to pick up another passenger. Three things wrong with that: a) it will delay you, b) it may take you into a neighborhood you'd rather not visit, and c) neither you not the driver knows what that other passenger will be like. They could be very nice...or not.

The few bucks you might save are not worth the negatives, IMHO...especially for people new to the system.

Thank you

I might be taking lyft to a work function tomorrow by myself tomorrow for the first time my problem is I can't tell a lyft car from a normal car

I might be taking lyft to a work function tomorrow by myself tomorrow for the first time my problem is I can't tell a lyft car from a normal car
When you do your ride request, a driver will accept your request, and that driver's information will be displayed on your app as they drive to pick you up.

You will have their first name, their driver rating, a picture of the driver's face, the tag number of their car and I believe a picture of their car. On the picture, I don't know if Lyft uses an actual picture of your driver's car, or if it's just a stock picture showing the type of car, but not necessarily the color.

You can confirm the driver by asking them their name -- don't just say, "Are you Jim?" because they'll just say yes without really listening to you. Also, the driver may ask you for your name and/or your destination.

Depending on where you are, the Lyft vehicle may or may not have a Lyft logo of some sort -- a sticker, or maybe an electronic sign saying Lyft called the Lyft Amp.

Here's a link to Lyft's help page about "How to Get Picked Up as a Passenger." https://help.lyft.com/hc/en-us/articles/213584088-How-to-get-picked-up-as-a-passenger

When you do your ride request, a driver will accept your request, and that driver's information will be displayed on your app as they drive to pick you up.

You will have their first name, their driver rating, a picture of the driver's face, the tag number of their car and I believe a picture of their car. On the picture, I don't know if Lyft uses an actual picture of your driver's car, or if it's just a stock picture showing the type of car, but not necessarily the color.

You can confirm the driver by asking them their name -- don't just say, "Are you Jim?" because they'll just say yes without really listening to you. Also, the driver may ask you for your name and/or your destination.

Depending on where you are, the Lyft vehicle may or may not have a Lyft logo of some sort -- a sticker, or maybe an electronic sign saying Lyft called the Lyft Amp.

Here's a link to Lyft's help page about "How to Get Picked Up as a Passenger." https://help.lyft.com/hc/en-us/articles/213584088-How-to-get-picked-up-as-a-passenger

Thank you that put my mind at ease having to use it alone for the first time with out dh

The main thing to remember when ordering an Uber/Lyft ride is this: BE READY to get in the car when you place the ride request.

The other thing I would suggest for you is DO NOT order Lyft Line or Uber Pool! Those are car-pooling options that may save a little money, but you may have a detour to pick someone else up -- and most important, neither you nor the driver have any idea who that person is. They could be wonderful; they could be obnoxious. Not something for a woman traveling alone.

If you order regular Lyft or UberX, you will be the only passenger in the car.

I was looking at the the options and I did not see lyft pool not that I was looking for it

ETA as far as using it my mom is more comfortable with me driving to the function even if it is raining she is worried about me waiting around a empty school for lyft after the fact

And my friend is taking me to and from the restaurant next week which is a unexpected surprise but thanks for the tips any way

The other thing I would suggest for you is DO NOT order Lyft Line or Uber Pool! Those are car-pooling options that may save a little money, but you may have a detour to pick someone else up -- and most important, neither you nor the driver have any idea who that person is. They could be wonderful; they could be obnoxious. Not something for a woman traveling alone.
These options are available only in certain areas, mostly larger cities. They are not available in Orlando.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter