two questions - using stone instead of mulch and not using a barrier?

kathymc

<font color=indigo><font color=teal>Dances in the
first off - love this new forum - hopefully it gets more traffic as the season progresses. I'm not much of a gardner but have been taking small (and successful) steps over the last few years.
Along one side of my house, totally up against the house, we just can't get grass to grow, as run off from the roof and driveway generally roll down the slowly sloping hill here. So we are thinking of putting up some sort of a garden of shrubs and plants. It would be about 2-3 feet out by the length of the house.
1 - do any of you, when doing this type of borders, not use barriers, ie, stone or plastic to keep mulch in? I have a couple of different borderes in different places around the yard and really don't want to add another one to the mix. I've seen where people don't use the border and it looks like maybe they dig the exsisting grass out of the area they will plant and then dig out another inch or two of dirt and then put down mulch. Does the mulch not run out into the lawn all the time? Any idea or help on how to do this?
2 - because of the potential of the run off ruining the mulch, I've also thought of using stones (like gravel). But can you plant flowers when you have this? will the stone kill them or stop them from spreading?

hope someone can help as I haven't been able to find any info on line on either of these things.

thanx and have a great day

kathymc

Decorative Rocks
Q. What is the best way to add decorative rocks to our established landscape? Do we need to put down a weed barrier and if so, how do we work around the shrubs and boxwood that are already planted? In addition, how do we determine how much rock will be needed?

A. A sturdy landscape fabric will block most weeds. Black plastic is not recommended because it does not allow air or water to pass through it to the soil. The fabric will also keep the gravel from working its way down into the soil during the annual freeze-thaw cycles.

To work around existing planting you will have to cut pieces of fabric, fit them around the plants, and then overlap them to cover the seams. If you have any perennials or bulbs in the area, wait to do the work until all the perennials are up, so you don't inadvertently cover them. Also, be sure not to cover spring bulbs.

The amount of rock will be determined on how deep a layer you desire. Basically, you'll need to measure the area in square feet, then multiply it by the depth. For example, a 10' by 10' area is 100 square feet. If you want a four-inch layer of rock (or 1/3 foot), then multiply 100 by 1/3, and you get about 33 cubic feet, or about 1- 1/4 cubic yards.

A caution on several points: The rock heats up in the sun and reflects heat back at your plants. The extra heat can cause your shrubs stress, both in summer and bright winter days. Boxwoods in particular are sensitive to this. Also, stone has no nutritive value and thus does nothing to enrich the soil. A natural mulch such as shredded bark will feed the soil as it breaks down slowly over time. Finally, weeds will eventually begin growing in the rock because autumn leaves, etc., work their way under the rocks, rot down and form a humusy seed bed on top of the fabric.

--National Gardening Association

I feel without a barrier, if you use mulch and have a heavy run off you will have mulch run-off. Small stones may be your only answer.

If you choose to go with stone. Visit your local garden center. Small stones come in some great colors. You can choose one that co-ordinates with the color of your home.

I also agree with Amid, the stones will produce heat on sunny days and may cause stress to your plants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter