• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Two airports in Orlando??

Minnie_me

DIS Veteran
DH just called me from work saying that a colleague warned him about there being TWO airports in Orlando, and that one is over an hour from Disney!??!

We haven't booked our flights yet (I was going to do that today), but I see only one Orlando airport listed on the airline's website.

I need to know the scoop on this before I book our flight!

I think I've heard of a second in Orlando, too, but the main one is Orlando Int'l and the airport code is MCO. This is the one that Magical Express runs out of and it's only a 1/2 hour or so (depending on traffic/time of day, of course) from Disney.

The other is Sanford-Orlando International Airport. Usually, the smaller airlines like Allegiant fly in and out of there. It's north of Orlando and would easily be about an hour's drive into WDW.

I always fly in on Allegiant, they have great non-stop prices from Springfield, MO. Anyway, it lands at the "other" Orlando Airport, but it didn't seem like it was a whole hour away. Maybe I was just enjoying myself seeing the sights from the airport....

Yeah, Sanford is the other one. According to Mapquest it is about an hour away. I'm flying into that one too. Smaller airports seem to have flights that go there. Disney will not pick you up from there though. We are renting a car. Taxi's and Shuttles are pretty expensive from there. It's code is SFB.

We're flying from Norwayvia Iceland and landing at Sanford International. Never been there before -I've alwayscome into MCO -but I've never come by IcelandAir before.

My map said 50minutes to WDW - but I'm not sure if it's accurate...

I think I read somewhere that it started out as an International airport, and tehn smaller airlines started flying in there in the past 10 years or so. I could be wrong, but I swear I read that somewhere.

Miss Norway - the amount of time it takes to get to WDW is really always traffic dependent. It's a super busy road during commute time (understatement). However, coming in and out of Sanford Airport is so much nicer than dealing with Orlando traffic. Any time I could use that airport - I would!

Even with coming in at the one we consider the Orlando Airport (MCO) with traffic it can take someone that long anyway. (if not longer)

Miss Norway - the amount of time it takes to get to WDW is really always traffic dependent. It's a super busy road during commute time (understatement). However, coming in and out of Sanford Airport is so much nicer than dealing with Orlando traffic. Any time I could use that airport - I would!

Glad to hear that.Our flight lands at 8 pm or something so traffic shouldn't be bad. I'm sort of hoping customs/immigration will be easier at such a small airport (is it small). I've always come to the US - via Newark and customs and immigration there is madness.....

My parents have used both Oralndo Int'l & Sanford - they said they prefer Sanfodr as it's not covered with glass and therefore your not standing around in a greenhouse baking to death! ha ha

I've chosen to go to Sanford this time and am looking forward to it (i've only ever gone into Orlando Int'l)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter