Tusker House/Akershus reviews with multiple food allergies

kkandaj

No longer a lurker
DS has life threatening food allergies to dairy, soy, eggs, peanuts and tree nuts. He eats no food in restaurants, other than apple slices and chicken nuggets from McD's. He also eats no food prepared by anyone other than my grandmother, my mother, myself and my DH.

We visited Tusker House on Mother's Day for 8:00am breakfast. Our chef was Chef Ricardo. He came quickly to the table and listened intently to DS's allergies. We discussed options and then he offered to take me around the buffet. I politely declined because of the risk of cross contamination. He came out with the food below.

402650695.jpg

Bacon, sausage, Mickey waffles, loads of fruit and ELF cookies for later. He also brought a light up Lightening McQueen for DS, stating that since it was a special day for him, he wanted to "hook him up." ;) We were extrememly pleased with Chef Ricardo. Later, when I was walking through the buffet, he stopped me to ask if DS had enough food and if there was anything else we needed. :lovestruc

We had the same experience in Akershus for the Princess breakfast. Unfortunately, I did not get the chef's name, but he did great with DS also. He brought bacon, sausage and hashbrowns first. He then brought out regular waffles and pancakes and also a huge bowl of fruit, finishing with cookies. DS was in heaven getting to eat like everyone else.

Oh ya--I forgot that we got a chicken and green beans from Cosmic Ray's. DH ordered this and there was some misunderstanding about whether or not it could've had cross contamination, so they gave us an additional chicken and green beans for free that had no possible risks of x-contam.

DS was also able to eat the raspberry sorbet at the Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street. It probably took close to 15 minutes for them to put one scoop of sorbet into the bowl because of the "allergy order.":confused3 Finally, a CM went in the back because she was furious that I had waited so long for one scoop of sorbet. It immediately came out with her.;)

And Babycakes in Downtown Disney was fabulous (for DS and DD)! (I'm not a fan of gluten-free products, because of the graininess, but I have texture issues with grainy food.:rotfl2:) DS picked a chocolate iced donut and had it gone in about 13 seconds, then shared a lemon muffin top with DD. DS, of course, had never eaten anything from a bakery and has only had homemade glazed donuts twice.

402650697.jpg

DS did eat a turkey leg in Animal Kingdom, but had no other WDW food. We cooked/brought the rest of his food into the parks.

Overall, it was a superb experience and we are so grateful there is a place that DS can be like everyone else.pixiedust:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! Your DS is a cutie and it looks/sounds like it was a great time! September will be my first trip (after going once a year for the last 9 years) with newly diagnosed allergies to egg, peanut, wheat, soy and dairy. I have yet to book any buffets for fear of cross contamination even though I know many people have had success. Knowing how severe your son's allergies are and that he was ok and that they took great care of you definitely makes me feel better. I had also pretty much ruled out Cosmic Ray's but maybe I will give that a try. Thanks again!:thumbsup2

He is precious!!! I love how at Disney both my son and I can feel like he is going to be safe and have plenty to eat. He is 5-years-old and has over 20+ allergies. We planned ahead since we were on the dining plan and let special diets know where we were going. Our day at AK, we all wanted to eat at the BBQ place. I let them know I needed to speak to the head chef or manager. There was nothing there that he could eat or at the other CS place, so they brought back tons of food from Tusker House for him. Then didn't even charge him his cs credit because of the "wait". We also ate at Cosmic Ray's, and they had to go get food from another place for him to eat. Most of his CS meals were at POP, because the chef was already prepared for him. He called me several times on the phone before hand. At buffets, they prepared food for him and brought it to the table. I can't wait to go back next Aug.

DS has life threatening food allergies to dairy, soy, eggs, peanuts and tree nuts. He eats no food in restaurants, other than apple slices and chicken nuggets from McD's. He also eats no food prepared by anyone other than my grandmother, my mother, myself and my DH.

We visited Tusker House on Mother's Day for 8:00am breakfast. Our chef was Chef Ricardo. He came quickly to the table and listened intently to DS's allergies. We discussed options and then he offered to take me around the buffet. I politely declined because of the risk of cross contamination. He came out with the food below.

402650695.jpg

Bacon, sausage, Mickey waffles, loads of fruit and ELF cookies for later. He also brought a light up Lightening McQueen for DS, stating that since it was a special day for him, he wanted to "hook him up." ;) We were extrememly pleased with Chef Ricardo. Later, when I was walking through the buffet, he stopped me to ask if DS had enough food and if there was anything else we needed. :lovestruc

We had the same experience in Akershus for the Princess breakfast. Unfortunately, I did not get the chef's name, but he did great with DS also. He brought bacon, sausage and hashbrowns first. He then brought out regular waffles and pancakes and also a huge bowl of fruit, finishing with cookies. DS was in heaven getting to eat like everyone else.

Oh ya--I forgot that we got a chicken and green beans from Cosmic Ray's. DH ordered this and there was some misunderstanding about whether or not it could've had cross contamination, so they gave us an additional chicken and green beans for free that had no possible risks of x-contam.

DH was also able to eat the raspberry sorbet at the Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street. It probably took close to 15 minutes for them to put one scoop of sorbet into the bowl because of the "allergy order.":confused3 Finally, a CM went in the back because she was furious that I had waited so long for one scoop of sorbet. It immediately came out with her.;)

And Babycakes in Downtown Disney was fabulous (for DS and DD)! (I'm not a fan of gluten-free products, because of the graininess, but I have texture issues with grainy food.:rotfl2:) DS picked a chocolate iced donut and had it gone in about 13 seconds, then shared a lemon muffin top with DD. DS, of course, had never eaten anything from a bakery and has only had homemade glazed donuts twice.

402650697.jpg

DS did eat a turkey leg in Animal Kingdom, but had no other WDW food. We cooked/brought the rest of his food into the parks.

Overall, it was a superb experience and we are so grateful there is a place that DS can be like everyone else.pixiedust:

Your son can have the mcdonalds chicken nuggets? My son has dairy/egg and hazelnut allergies and I've avoided the nuggets there but I'm going to check them out now, I love how disney caters to food allergies, it's one more reason we keep going back! :banana:

al6yi5tj4rfikaja.png

Thanks so much for sharing- and the pictures are just great. My daughter- who has Celiac, and has not had a doughnut in YEARS, is SO excited by that one picture, she wants to go have one right now, but we do not go for a long time yet LOL. She has lots of allergies, as do her sister and I - but I am starting to trust that we will eat safely and well for the two weeks we will be there. Thanks again - enjoyed this so much.

Great reviews! I've also been to Tusker House and had Chef Ricardo take care of me. He's really great!

I'm so happy to see some of the offerings you got. And your DS looks so happy in those pics!

Thanks again for sharing :)

THank you for sharing and I'm happy you had such a great experience!

Your son can have the mcdonalds chicken nuggets? My son has dairy/egg and hazelnut allergies and I've avoided the nuggets there but I'm going to check them out now, I love how disney caters to food allergies, it's one more reason we keep going back! :banana:

al6yi5tj4rfikaja.png

I hope you see this. McD's chicken nuggets do not contain any dairy, egg or nut. They are cooked in vegetable oil. Please check with your McD's that they are not cooked with anything but the other chicken. Their fries DO contain a dairy coating.

DS just started eating McD's nuggets after his soy oil/lecithin challenge in March. I almost had an anxiety attack I was so nervous for him to eat from a restaurant, but he eats them whenever we are out and hadn't expected to be eating out.

He has anaphylactic reactions to small amounts of dairy and egg, so we would definitely know if they were in the nuggets.

This is from the McD's website:

Chicken McNuggets® (4 piece)
Allergens: WHEAT
White boneless chicken, water, food starch-modified, salt, seasoning [autolyzed yeast extract, salt, wheat starch, natural flavoring (botanical source), safflower oil, dextrose, citric acid], sodium phosphates, natural flavor (botanical source). Battered and breaded with: water, enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), yellow corn flour, bleached wheat flour, food starch-modified, salt, leavening (baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, calcium lactate), spices, wheat starch, dextrose, corn starch.
CONTAINS: WHEAT.

Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent

I hope you see this. McD's chicken nuggets do not contain any dairy, egg or nut. They are cooked in vegetable oil. Please check with your McD's that they are not cooked with anything but the other chicken. Their fries DO contain a dairy coating.

DS just started eating McD's nuggets after his soy oil/lecithin challenge in March. I almost had an anxiety attack I was so nervous for him to eat from a restaurant, but he eats them whenever we are out and hadn't expected to be eating out.

He has anaphylactic reactions to small amounts of dairy and egg, so we would definitely know if they were in the nuggets.

This is from the McD's website:

Chicken McNuggets® (4 piece)
Allergens: WHEAT
White boneless chicken, water, food starch-modified, salt, seasoning [autolyzed yeast extract, salt, wheat starch, natural flavoring (botanical source), safflower oil, dextrose, citric acid], sodium phosphates, natural flavor (botanical source). Battered and breaded with: water, enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), yellow corn flour, bleached wheat flour, food starch-modified, salt, leavening (baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, calcium lactate), spices, wheat starch, dextrose, corn starch.
CONTAINS: WHEAT.

Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent

Thank you sooo much for showing me this, I am definitely going to check with our local mcd's, I know what you mean about almost having an anxiety attack when eating out. I can't take a bite of food or relax for at least 10 minutes after he takes his first bite and trying to act normal because you don't want them to see how nervous you are :scared:Thank you again for passing along this info to me...:hug:

al6yi5tj0ds0ynh9.png

Your son is just the cutest! So happy to hear about your great experiences, thanks for sharing. :)

Thanks for sharing your story. Your son is adorable. My daughter has peanut and tree nut allergies, and she loves that she can go to Disney and enjoy some nice restaurants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter