• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Turning on the lights on the Dream

The card holder only control tells the lights and the TV. The outlets seemed to continue to function normally.

We used a room key card from WDW hotel and it works fine. That way, I didn't have to worry about leaving my room key behind, or take it out of the lanyard (the room locks on the Dream are proximity card readers, and don't require the keycard inserted into a slot to unlock the door like the door locks on the Magic or Wonder).

This is the first time I have heard about the Card/Light devices on the Dream.

This is why I like the forums. You always learn new things.

Well i don't think it really needs a ROOM key, but you may be able to put a credit card in there, or a rewards cards. Just something that small and plastic. BUt then you must remember to take your card with you. pirate:

I wouldn't use a credit card, though, because I have read a TR where the OP's card got stolen from the slot. It was a used gift card.

I used a hotel room key that I had used at our Best Western LBV hotel.

I would use a card that you can afford to lose! (an old hotel key card, a grocery store reward card, used gift card, etc.)

So everything goes off when the card is not in the slot? What about phone chargers, clocks, etc. And I know my DH will not be happy about coming back to a hot cabin at the end of every day.

The outlets and A/C will still work.

We noticed that the housekeeping staff was using the 'Do Not Disturb" signs upside down in the the slots instead of a 'key" so we started using that instead.

We noticed that the housekeeping staff was using the 'Do Not Disturb" signs upside down in the the slots instead of a 'key" so we started using that instead.

We were on the Dream last week and I saw a stateroom host do the exact same thing the first day so we did that the rest of the cruise.

Another great solution to not forgetting your Stateroom KTTW card!

However, please remember that the ship's have to generate their own electricity by running engines.

Although the Magic (had back then) and Dream (now has) the cleanest burning heavy oil (un refined diesel) engines, the less they have to run them the better for the environment :goodvibes, and the better to stop any fuel surcharges!

Even though on the Dream class you can use a store gift card, do not disturb sign, always remove it enough from the slot that it won't keep the light's on when your not "home".
And if on a Magic class ship, turn the light's off when you leave please!
Those on Alaskan cruise's will appreciate how beautiful it is, and nasty smoke from the smoke stacks won't help keep it that way!

I also believe the Wonder is "cold ironing" now in the Port of Los Angles.
(using shoreside power in port, rather than running her engines)
http://www.portoflosangeles.org/environment/alt_maritime_power.asp

http://blog.silive.com/goofy_about_...ine_joins_port_of_la_in_clearing_the_air.html

Ex Techie

We would take out the 'sign' when we left the room. But using our KTTW was annoying because if my daughters came to the room first and used theirs and then we came in and they left we would have to switch around cards and well, it was just less trouble to use something that no one had to take with them when they left then the last person out just pulled it out.

But there were 4 of us in the same room (and my 17 year olds come and go all the time).

If it were just my husband and I in the room, it would probably be fine to use our KTTW, but with the 4 of us we were always swapping the card in the slot when someone left and someone else was still there.

Silly question but what about the bathroom lights. If you take the key out at night to go to sleep how do you turn on the bathroom light. Are those lights seperate from the others or are they connected to the key card as well?

When the card is in the slot, all the lights work with normal switches, so at night, you can turn the lamps off just like at home and turn the bathroom lights on and off with the wall switch. By removing the card when you leave the room, any lights that you have left on, as well as the TV, will turn off after about 2 minutes.

Like Westjones we always took the "do not disburb" sign out before leaving the room if we all left at the same time. We strictly used it so we all didn't need to take out the kttw card from our lanyards and have one of us forget it if we left the room while others were still in the room.

I was wondering about the "put your key in to turn the lights on" feature of the Dream. Does it have to be the KTTW card, or will any card that size fit in there and turn on the juice?

Maybe an experiment for the lucky ones on the MV.:thumbsup2

Wonder if that would also cut the power to the outlet you've got your battery charger on?

I think I read somewhere that they ask you not leave batteries charging while you're not in the state room, so I could see that being connected as well - anyone know?

Another great solution to not forgetting your Stateroom KTTW card!

However, please remember that the ship's have to generate their own electricity by running engines.

Although the Magic (had back then) and Dream (now has) the cleanest burning heavy oil (un refined diesel) engines, the less they have to run them the better for the environment :goodvibes, and the better to stop any fuel surcharges!

OK, except that those engines are going to have to stay running anyway. Too much other stuff on the ships to power. The only thing that could really solve that problem is rechargeable batteries on the ship than can be used when in port that charge when the ship is at sea.

OK, except that those engines are going to have to stay running anyway. Too much other stuff on the ships to power. The only thing that could really solve that problem is rechargeable batteries on the ship than can be used when in port that charge when the ship is at sea.

Both the Magic class and Dream class have 5 engines, and unless they are sailing full speed, not all engines are running and in fact they often run on only 4 as one will be being serviced.

If the 1250 staterooms on the Dream all leave a 60 watt light on, then that's 75,000 watts, and if the crew do the same in their cabins that's another 25,000+ watts.

100,000 watt's of electricity the ship has to generate to light staterooms and cabins with no-one in them.

I've not been on the Dream so I have no idea how much energy saving lighting they have used, but not leaving light's on, tv's on WILL help and especially when in port. If they can shut an engine down they will, and the higher and engine has to rev to drive the generators, the more fuel it uses.

As I said before:
I also believe the Wonder is "cold ironing" now in the Port of Los Angles.
(using shoreside power in port, rather than running her engines)
http://www.portoflosangeles.org/envi...time_power.asp

http://blog.silive.com/goofy_about_d...g_the_air.html

PC doesn't have the facility yet as far as I know.

Ex Techie

I know fron the dream that it doesn't matter what type of card you use, any will work. But also can tell you that our hostess pulled the card up so that lights were almost always off when we returned, even though we left a card in the slot. It was easier to just push the card we left back down rather than using our current KTTW card.

We just returned from the Dream on 8/7. When the card was removed, the bath lights, bedside lamps and TV went off immediately when the card was removed. The 3 overhead lights stayed on (but may have went off in 2 minutes). We made a practice of always turning off the lights when we weren't using them anyway, so when we left and pulled our card out, the room was usually dark anyway

INTERESTING>>> our stateroom host told us that the Dream had been wired improperly and that the refrigerators TURN OFF when the room card is removed as well, so the hosts no longer remove the keys left int he slots in case the guests have medications in the fridge. We had water bottles in the fridge, and didn't notice it getting warm, but we only took them out each morning (and they probably had rechilled overnight).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter