• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Turning 3 at disney

The important part that affects this OP is missing. That is the split stay. Which again, is not a Disney recognized term, just one used by guests. To Disney there is no such thing as a split stay. They are separate stays that happen to be back to back. If the OP was staying at one resort the whole time, there wouldn't be an issue at all.

The split stay is what is causing the problem. As long as your stay starts with the child aged 2, they are seen as being 2 for the whole trip, even if they have a birthday. So the OP is fine for the first stay. However her child will be 3 at the start of the second stay, therefore, they will need a ticket.

The important part that affects this OP is missing. That is the split stay. Which again, is not a Disney recognized term, just one used by guests. To Disney there is no such thing as a split stay. They are separate stays that happen to be back to back. If the OP was staying at one resort the whole time, there wouldn't be an issue at all.

The split stay is what is causing the problem. As long as your stay starts with the child aged 2, they are seen as being 2 for the whole trip, even if they have a birthday. So the OP is fine for the first stay. However her child will be 3 at the start of the second stay, therefore, they will need a ticket.
I think you're correct, in that that's how it will likely be implemented.

I just find it a little odd/quirky- if offsite falls under this rule, you could move from the Best Western to Bonnet Creek with no impact, but an onsite move does trigger a change in status.

I think you're correct, in that that's how it will likely be implemented.

I just find it a little odd/quirky- if offsite falls under this rule, you could move from the Best Western to Bonnet Creek with no impact, but an onsite move does trigger a change in status.

It shouldn't matter on site or off. It depends on how the parents want to play with the rule. And with Disney being more aware of what you are doing when you stay on site.

You mean "rules"?
No, I mean technicalities. "She is 3 but she was 2 when we arrived." It's not a lie. Let's not lose sight of the forest for the trees. This is a non-issue for most CMs. It is highly unlikely she will be questioned in the first place.

And honestly, (I hope) we all have better things to worry about than whether or not OP's kid walks into the MK for free after spending their 3rd birthday at Disney. :goodvibes

OP, I hope it is a wonderful trip for you and your family.

No, I mean technicalities. "She is 3 but she was 2 when we arrived." It's not a lie. Let's not lose sight of the forest for the trees. This is a non-issue for most CMs. It is highly unlikely she will be questioned in the first place.

And honestly, (I hope) we all have better things to worry about than whether or not OP's kid walks into the MK for free after spending their 3rd birthday at Disney. :goodvibes

But it's not a technicality. When booking a reservation, you need to list the age of each guest at check-in. If OP does a split, the child will be 3 at check-in at the second resort. So she is 3 when she arrived for check-in.

This reminds of the thread of the person who wanted their kid to be 3 for BBB (though she was 2), but was worried when they arrived back at MK for MNSSHP the CM's would see she was dressed up from BBB and assume she was 3 and ask for her ticket (which they didn't buy). Or the people who want their kids to be 2 for free tickets, but 3 to get dining. I think we've found when people try to game the system (like hoarding dining reservations) it affects us all when new rules are put into affect to close loopholes.

As many have pointed out, safest thing to do is to simply book one stay and not deal with a split where OP will literally have to lie about her child's age when booking the second reservation.

Last edited:
No, I mean technicalities. "She is 3 but she was 2 when we arrived FOR OUR FIRST RESORT BUT NOW SHE IS 3" It's not a lie. Let's not lose sight of the forest for the trees. This is a non-issue for most CMs. It is highly unlikely she will be questioned in the first place.

Fixed it for you.

Here is someone's experience when a child turns 3 during a trip (split stay or not doesn't matter here). Please be reminded that the child stays 2 in WDW for the entire stay while the child is 3 outside WDW. The key is the child is still "2" and remains "2". Hope the experience helps answer your question. It is from another website (posted in Jan. 2016).

View attachment 239104
so sorry about your experience. We are going in november and bring a family member who turns 3 at the end of the trip but he is a big/tall for his age. i am not looking forward to the crap at the gates. I was thinking to bring his birth certificate but there aren't even pictures on it so its useless.
glad it was resolved for you ultimately

She was 2 when you arrived at your first resort. Kid turned 3. That vacation ended. New vacation started. Kid is still 3. Those are all the facts.

We moved to POFQ the day after my son's birthday. We didn't have to pay for him on the 2nd half of the trip and they knew all about him turning three and even sent him a birthday card & balloon from Mickey to our room.

We are going in november and bring a family member who turns 3 at the end of the trip but he is a big/tall for his age. i am not looking forward to the crap at the gates. I was thinking to bring his birth certificate but there aren't even pictures on it so its useless.
glad it was resolved for you ultimately

My son is, and always has been, huge. He's been as tall as some adults for the last couple of years and just turned 10 last week. When he was little he was a head, or two, taller than kids his age. We've never been questioned about his age at Disney.

Does a 2 year old get his own MDE account? If not, there shouldn't be a problem. I don't think the CMs will question anybody. My kids were always tall for their age and a couple of times (over many trips) we were asked their ages when they were actually 2 but it wasn't a big deal by any means. They were just like, 'how old is he?' 'two.' 'ok'.

I can't imagine a CM asking for a birth certificate...they've got bigger fish to fry.

Someone mentioned Disney being fair about age changes and I agree. We had some old tickets from when the kids were Disney children. I went to Guest Services and explained they outgrew the tickets and they upgraded them all (6 different tickets) to Disney adults, and they were extremely nice about it. And these were tickets that were probably 10 years old. I don't know how they did it but they took the time and figured it all out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter