• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TS reviews--CM, Cape May, Kona, Chefs de France

Rock'n Robin

Disney Queen
Thursday night--Chef Mickey's--this is our tradition, we usually go at least once a trip. First we got our picture taken. Then we waited. We got there at 5:50 for a 6:10 ADR but we still waited until 6:10. The prime rib was good but not so warm. Everything else was great. I like the shrimp, the potatoes, the rolls, and the oreo bon bons, among other things. Everyone came away stuffed. Saw Goofy, Mickey, Minnie, Donald, and Pluto. No Chip and Dale this trip.
Friday night--Cape May. This meal started with a crisis as DH and I went to the gift shop with DS. He asked to see the pirate stuff. DH said fine. Problem is, there is no pirate stuff in the BC gift shop. By the time we noticed he was gone (he is 9) our buzzer was going. I sat down with the girls but it took DH 20 minutes to find DS. He had run by the girls and through the hotel and back to the YC gift shop to the pirate display. He happened to have DD#1's cell phone but DH didn't have his. He asked the host at Cape May to use the phone and they offered him a house phone. He asked for a regular phone and the host just kind of looked at him. So DH had to go back to our room and get his phone, call DS, and get him. Oh that kid was in hot water. I was freaked out.
The food here was good. The beef was already sliced--they were not slicing it on the buffet, it was out in a dish. But it was good and warmer than Chef Mickey's. I also had potatoes, corn, fried tilapia, and clams. I forgot to eat shrimp! By the time I saw some on someone else's plate I was done. I walked right by it. Everyone had something good to eat here. OUr waiter was not very attentive with refills. He also charged our meal to our room and we had told him we were on DDP, so he had to fix that.
Saturday we ate at Kona when it opened. Donna was our server and she was very nice. We did get extra drinks this night--kids all got souvenir cups with light-up clips (tink for the girls, captain hook for DS). DH had a glowtini with a souvenir cube, and I had an island sunset. For appetizers I had the crab cakes, DH had the sticky wings, and the girls had salads. DS opted to have fries with his meal instead of an appetizer. For meals DS had chicken fingers, DH had the prime rib, I had the filet mignon (which was AWESOME) and the girls had turkey medallions. We were all thrilled. For dessert DH, DD#2 and DS had ice cream. DD#1 and I had the kiluea (sp?) torte. Our best meal of the trip.
Sunday we ate at Chefs de France. DH was not that happy with this choice. We had originally chosen Spoodles but the menu change left me wary of it. I waffled between France and Italy but after looking at pretty recent menus picked France. Well, the menu had changed. The one thing I wanted to order (grilled tenderloin of beef w/ black pepper sauce) was GONE! Not on the menu! I had promised DH it was just food we normally eat w/ different names, but now there was no steak on the menu.
DH and I got the soup appetizer, DS and DD#2 got salads and DD#1 got the cheese plate. The soup was awesome but DH said it was just OK. DD#1 liked some cheese a lot but wouldn't eat a few pieces.
For dinner DH got the french menu (rotisserie chicken). I got grilled salmon on a potato pancake (which is not on the menu on Deb's site as of this time). DS and DD#2 got the baked macaroni and cheese, and DD#1 got the ribs. The ribs were kind of fatty. The salmon was good. For dessert DH and DD#1 had creme brulee, and DD#2 and I had the "puff choux"--vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce, and these wonderful tart creations . That was the best part. Our service here was kind of bad at the start, as we were not getting refills, but before dessert the manager came out and said our waiter had an epileptic seizure after dinners were served and we were getting another waiter! I hope he is OK.
This meal was over $200 but it was just OK. Nothing bad to report...but not worth the $ it costs in my opinion. I'm glad I did it once. Next time I"ll just get the pastry on my way by.
Robin M.

Thanks for your TS reviews. We are very much looking forward to dining at Kona in a week's time :)

Thanks for the review--we have ADRs for Chefs de France during free dining next month--do they have any type of steak or any hunks of beef on menu? DH will not be happy if not.

thanks again

Lee

Thanks for the review--we have ADRs for Chefs de France during free dining next month--do they have any type of steak or any hunks of beef on menu? DH will not be happy if not.

thanks again

Lee
We also have ressie in 2 wks and my DH was going to get the beef tenderlon also,Is it for sure off the menu? DH may not want to eat there.I'll have to let him know.

Believe me, I looked over every entree and that steak that is on the allears menu website is NOT there. They had the rotisserie chicken, and salmon, and ribs, and duck, and lamb or pork chops(don't remember which but I remember it was a chop) but the steak was not on there.
Now to be fair I could have asked to see if I could get it, but I was a little frazzled (DD#2 was having a mighty mood swing and kept bursting into tears) and did not do so. But I can tell you emphatically that on Aug. 12, 2007, there was not a steak on the menu.
Robin M.

hmmm, the Chefs de France review kinda worries me about the steak, other than that I have talked to many people who like you said everything else was pretty good. I am looking forward to this meal next Sunday ;)

Thanks for all your reviews. We are doing CM's our first night also as I really like it there.

Robin-

Can't imagine what it must have been like--keep reading and re-reading the menu and the darned filet is NOT there--and DD having a really bad day. You obviously are a woman of great fortitude becuse under those circumstances most of us would have more than just a little frazzled.

I don't think I would have asked it the filet was available-- its not as if you're just trying to get a side item like buttered noodles for one of your children.

I'm sure we'll have a great meal even w/o the filet!

thanks again for the posts and reveiws

Lee

Oh thank God you posted this. DH does not think France has much merit, let alone food he cannot pronounce and thinks all french food invloves a snail or a frog!

DH is king of the filet migneon! Thank you for helping me to avoid a huge train wreck of an evening!

Thanks for the great reviews. I was planning on ordering the steak also so I am glad you told me it was no longer on the menu. How did your husband like the chicken?:)

Does anyone have an updated menu that we can take a look at ?? I dont think either one of use was planning on ordering hte steak but if it has chancged dramatically, we may have to change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter