TS Kids Menu Issues

clsteve

"It takes a very long time to become young..."
Unfortunately, I'm VERY underwhelmed by the TS kids menus.

We're heading to WDW end of Nov on the DxDDP with one 10 yr old DS and one 7 yr old DS for their 1st trip (DW and myself have been many times since we were kids but swore we wouldn't go with the DS's until the youngest could go on everything the oldest could! I'm sure those with 2+ boys understand....::yes::).

The problem is: my youngest just cannot survive for the whole trip on chicken fingers, poor pizza and kid's-sized burgers-especially when his older brother is having an adult meal. Both have adventuresome appetites and enjoy everything from curry to sushi.

We're doing one TS for an early lunch in the parks and 2 credit sig's in the evening (Cali Grill, Narcoosee's, Flying Fish, Jiko, Brown Derby, Citrico's).

My question is: have any of you had success getting a kid's sized version of an adult entree by speaking with the chef or manager? I understand that the park restaurants may be difficult, but I was hoping the resort restaurants might be more willing to work with us. Thoughts?

I'm relieved to see that my DD is not the only who eats normally and is not interested by chicken fingers, PBJ sandwichs or burgers.

I'm relieved to see that my DD is not the only who eats normally and is not interested by chicken fingers, PBJ sandwichs or burgers.

It's really surprising to me- I would think some of the chefs would be embarassed to put out such an uninspired (and unhealthy) kids menu at their establishment. That's why I was hoping they would work wiith us.

I have not run into this problem yet. My kids are also interested in eatting regular meals. So I have been looking at the kids choices and I have found that at least at the resturants I looked at there is at least one regular menu option. Like at Coral Reef there is a fish of the day that comes with rice. And at Liberty Tree Traven there is a kid size version of the pineapple flat bread. And at Teppon Edo there are a couple choices for noodles. I think with a little planning we should be able to find them more options.

My DD hates burgers, chicken nuggets, etc too. That's one of the reasons we do the DxDp, we have found that most of the TS restaurants usually have at least one choice on the kids menu that is decent. (Meatloaf, grilled chicken, fish, etc.) There are a few that are more lacking than others, but remember they can also share from your plate, and of course at buffets they can eat anything. CS is mostly junk for kids.

I've never tried myself, but I've never heard of anyone being able to order a kid-sized portion of something off the adult menu. I think they will only make exceptions like that if they have some sort of allergy or restriction that the kid's menu can't solve at all.

So, not sure where you are planning to eat, but keep checking the TS menus, there are quite a few with at least one decent kid's choice. I know it stinks though - DD will be 9.5 next trip and it was tempting to just "make" her 10 instead... if by chance we end up getting a good discount that would make up the difference I might still consider it.

I totally understand! I'm worried about my four years old!! She won't eat that crap either!

If I were you, I would upgrade him to an adult ticket. I couldn't justify feeding my kid that stuff for every meal. We are doing tons of buffets because my youngest is two and it's just easier for us, so I will be able to give the kiddos whatever they want.

Good luck!

I also have a 7 yr old that is more adventuresome. Some of the kids menus do veer off the chicken finger path; however, they are few and far between. If you go to the more "exotic" restaurants, you'll sometimes find more exotic kid size fare. We ended up ordering an adult portion and, more often than not, he finished it off. Never thought to ask for a smaller portion though.

I would love to see the compromise of allowing a child to order an adult appetizer as an entree- the french onion soup at Chefs de France or a kids-sized california roll at the Cali Grill, for example.

I know we will end up sharing our meals (as we always do), but it would be nice to see Disney set a better example for kids eating habits as well as give parents a chance to expand their children's food horizons at the same time they may be trying a new cuisine.

For example: at the Restaurant Marrakexh, I know there's no way I could talk my youngest into thinking the fruit cup, Child's Kefta -(Hamburger served on a bun with lettuce and tomato), Moroccan Pasta - (Served with meatballs in tomato sauce) are actually Morrocan cuisine.....

This is why we usually end up eating at the Cali Grill, Boma, and such. They have a much better kids menu. Most of the Epcot World Showcase restaurants will also have at least one authentic option.

Kona has grilled fish, WCC has the skillet for kids.

You might have to do some searching and forgo quick service, but it can be done for the most part.

We do more buffets as well, gives the kids more options. We've not ran in to them eating chicken nuggets and burgers all week though, even when we eat counter service we can usually find a restaurant that has more variety.

Check out All Ears for menus and maybe plan some of your restaurants around those. The Menus-All Ears

My DD hates burgers, chicken nuggets, etc too. That's one of the reasons we do the DxDp, we have found that most of the TS restaurants usually have at least one choice on the kids menu that is decent. (Meatloaf, grilled chicken, fish, etc.) There are a few that are more lacking than others, but remember they can also share from your plate, and of course at buffets they can eat anything. CS is mostly junk for kids.

I've never tried myself, but I've never heard of anyone being able to order a kid-sized portion of something off the adult menu. I think they will only make exceptions like that if they have some sort of allergy or restriction that the kid's menu can't solve at all.
So, not sure where you are planning to eat, but keep checking the TS menus, there are quite a few with at least one decent kid's choice. I know it stinks though - DD will be 9.5 next trip and it was tempting to just "make" her 10 instead... if by chance we end up getting a good discount that would make up the difference I might still consider it.

Maybe I'll just tell them DS7 is allergic to chicken fingers, cheese pizza, PB&J and kids burgers.....:thumbsup2

I've heard of restaurants making adult sized portions of kids meals but never making kid sized portions of adult meals. I think if I were you, I would upgrade him to an adult.

The places you listed at least offer some variety in kids' meals- most have a steak and fish option. But I agree that it would be nice if they would offer smaller portions of adult meals. You can always ask, but I wouldn't count on it.

this is exactly what we are doing.. my DD will also be 9.5 when we go but we have put her on the booking as 10... this will give us more flexibility with the DDP credits and also mean that her and our other DD(4) can effectively share one adult and one child meal between them at TS meals which should mean they can get something they like ...

Like other people I am not happy about the junk they seem to consider acceptable for children for what is the main meal of their day :confused3

I've heard of some parents lying to make their children older to avoid this kind of problem. Would this be a possible solution for you?

this is exactly what we are doing.. my DD will also be 9.5 when we go but we have put her on the booking as 10... this will give us more flexibility with the DDP credits and also mean that her and our other DD(4) can effectively share one adult and one child meal between them at TS meals which should mean they can get something they like ...

Like other people I am not happy about the junk they seem to consider acceptable for children for what is the main meal of their day :confused3

This. You end up having to upgrade his tickets to the adult ticket and also pay the difference in dining plan. From what people say it's usually worth the price difference.

Great suggestions, thanks much. DD10 will already be on the adult DxDDP, so I think we will go with DD7 on the kids, unfortunately, and share our meals around. for a 10 day stay, it's a significant enough increase in price and we also don't like wasting food (all adult meal portions might be too much for DD7 for 10 days).

But, I am going to try to see if the chef(s) will accomodate us on a few meals by asking if they'll put together a kids sized portion of the regular menu for us. It can't hurt to try and I'll give feedback on the forums to let everyone know if we had any success. I'm hoping some of the resort restaurants might be a little more open to the idea....

Since there seems to be quite a few of us in the same situation, if anyone else tries this before we go in November, I would love to hear how it went and which restaurants were open to the idea.

Thanks again everyone!

I'll also ask if they might substitute an adult appetizer for a kids entree- this would go a long way towards solving this issue for us. Looking at the menus, the price range should not be an issue for this.

Once again, I'll let everyone know how it goes.

We are doing 3 signatures and 5 buffets (inc Akershus) but have chosen to upgrade our dd's (7 & 8) because they too rarely eat nuggets/burgers and they would run a mile with PB&J or mac n cheese! We have free dining so we only paid the difference between the child and adult ticket which is so worth it for us.

The CM we spoke to said that lots of people chose to upgrade.

When I glanced at the menus for some of the signature restaurants you chose, it looked like some of the kid menus included steaks, seared fish, salmon and chicken dishes. Would they be happy ordering one of those meals and perhaps having a bite or two of the adults sushi etc?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter