Trying to plan trip for sick mom...help

Billmel

DIS Veteran
Hello all...

My DH and I are trying to plan a trip taking my mom to WDW from May 5-9, 2005, (she was diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer about 2 years ago, and they gave her 2-3 years, she is into her 2nd year now) I would like to take her back she hasn't been in years and years, and she said over the Christmas holidays that it is one thing she would really like to do 1 more time...so now i am trying to make it happen. We are on a limited budget, but I will make it happen one way or another. Anywhooo...the question's I have are as follows:
1. How early do I have to be to the parks to get a motorized wheelchair?
2. How much are they both Push and motorized?
3. Can I get a wheelchair at the POP resort to take her to DTD or does DTD rent chairs?
Thanks in advance for any help! :wave:

I'm sorry about your mom - sounds like a wonderful thing to plan a trip for her.

Others here can better answer your question but I know if you look at one of the stickied topics at the top of the DisAbilities board there is one called F.A.Q's that has info in it about using/renting wheelchairs. Perhaps that info will get you started.

Best of luck with your trip

***edited to add the link to the FAQ: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=595713

I believe there are limited wheelchairs at Pop Century, but if you manage to get one, it is yours to use for the entire stay. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

WDW rents ECVs, which are a bit different than motorized wheelchairs, I think.

Consider getting a GAC for your mom, especially if she will have difficulty transferring from the wheelchair to a ride, or if she needs to stay out of the sun.

You can rent an ecv (yes, they are different than power wheelchairs) at the parks. ECVs are easy to drive, with a "yoke" for steering, similar to steering a bike. Power wheelchairs drive with a joystick and are a bit harder to learn to drive. Power wheelchairs are not rented in the parks and are generally only rented out by the off-site places to people who already have one.
The ECVs at the parks are first come, first serve, so whether or not you'll be able to get one at the parks depends on how busy it is. It you really don't care if you get a wheelchair or an ecv, then you might want to just take your chance at the parks.
If you really want an ecv, then nyour best option is to rent from one of the off-site companies (they are in the link that Selket posted).
You can get a wheelchair rom your resort, the pros and cons are also listed in that link.
The GAC (Guest Assistance Card) that was mentioned by Schmeck is primarily for invisible disabilities. It's a tool to let CMs know what sorts of assistance you need. If all you need is the ability to bring the wheelchair/ecv into line, then you probably don't need a GAC (even if you need extra time or might have difficulty transferring). You can request a GAC from Guest Services in any of the parks. Take the person with a disability with you and be ready to explain their needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter