Trying to find a silver lining....

Clojel

DIS Veteran
So, I was thinking about it today and I guess the one good thing about all of these cancellations is that by the time we sail, I will have been paid in full for *at least* a year and a half...which means that, by the time I'm on the ship, it will kind of feel like i'm cruising for free, lol!!

Grasping for ALL the straws to make this situation less awful, haha!

So, I was thinking about it today and I guess the one good thing about all of these cancellations is that by the time we sail, I will have been paid in full for *at least* a year and a half...which means that, by the time I'm on the ship, it will kind of feel like i'm cruising for free, lol!!
Yeah, I always prefer paying for vacations early on to get that feeling. It does make them a bit more carefree.

Another silver lining is that the ships, with all it’s protocol enhancements (especially the medical grade air filters) will improve the health of ppl sailing once it resumes. Cruise ships are notoriously called Petrie dishes. Hopefully this upgrade will help dispel that branding.

We've saved a ton of money....no travel, no eating out, no parties, put gas in car once a month, if that, gym is closed so no dues. Would pay anything to hug my grandchildren.
I've saved on gym membership as well. I had worked out almost daily since early 1995 and I really miss it. I have replaced the eliptical workouts with lots of walking, but it is hard on my joints and I can't keep up the same heart rate. I may end up buying an eliptical.

Covid is thought to be MUCH MORE contagious than flu and MOST contagious before symptoms appear. Hence, the importance of distancing and masks.
OK. But, my question remains. If compliance with mask and distancing stops the flu, wouldn't that indicate that most people are doing it?

Or, perhaps there is another answer as to why documented flu cases are so low.

OK. But, my question remains. If compliance with mask and distancing stops the flu, wouldn't that indicate that most people are doing it?

Or, perhaps there is another answer as to why documented flu cases are so low.
COVID is spread by people who are asymptomatic. You can be walking around for days spreading the virus everywhere you go.

with the flu you are contagious for a very short time before symptoms appear.

That's what they say. Maybe it will start to demonstrably slow the spread of other viruses (like COVID) as well.

I do think people have developed more of an awareness about how viruses spread that will be helpful long term. If you’re sick, keep your distance, sanitize your hands often, wipe down things you’ve touched, etc.... hoping that the healthier habits stay long after covid is gone!

Another silver lining is that the flu has virtually disappeared.
Last January we had a horrific time with flu and strep in my grade level (I'm an elementary teacher) at school. At one point, I had 12 students out sick at once. Another teacher in my grade had only 7 out of 25 students present at one point (we called her classroom Ground Zero), and of course, we teachers usually catch something that's going around every year, too. This school year, I've only had two students out for illness at any time, and it wasn't the same time (and it wasn't Covid). The main difference is that parents know they can no longer get away with sending them in sick, which they used to regularly do.

From a professional standpoint I actually wouldn't mind keeping the Covid rules & restrictions going at school permanently, if it meant I wouldn't have to get sick every winter.

Last edited:
Last January we had a horrific time with flu and strep in my grade level (I'm an elementary teacher) at school. At one point, I had 12 students out sick at once. Another teacher in my grade had only 7 out of 25 students present at one point (we called her classroom Ground Zero), and of course, we teachers usually catch something that's going around every year, too. This school year, I've only had two students out for illness at any time, and it wasn't the same time (and it wasn't Covid). Fantastic difference.

From a professional standpoint I actually wouldn't mind keeping the desks spaced out and the students masked in the classroom permanently, if it meant I wouldn't have to catch their illnesses every winter.
My spouse was a teacher (high school) and had problems catching students' illnesses for the first four years or so, but not thereafter.

My spouse was a teacher (high school) and had problems catching students' illnesses for the first four years or so, but not thereafter.
I caught an absolutely vicious flu my first year of teaching 20 years ago: lungs so filled with fluid that I couldn't safely lie down, not able to eat for a week, severe body pain (not just "aches"). It took me a month to fully recover. Since then, I have never gotten the flu again. I get colds from my students annually & even got strep once, but never again the flu- I don't even bother with the shot anymore. I think my immune system never forgot that battle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter