Trying to decide if we will buy

Lizziemom

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are trying to decide if DVC is for us. I get worried when I read things like "can not get a Sunday reservation." We always travel Sat. to Sat.

Are their any other things, good and bad that I should know before buying?

Are their any special gifts, incentives I can ask for before buying? My husband said sales people always have freebies to seal a deal.

Does anyone know if 2 bedrooms at VWL are still available for April 13 - 20, 2002?

If I want to book a cruise for the same time period, how soon will I be allowed to make a reservation?

Thank you all for your help. These boards are very informative and friendly.

Lizzie:cool:

If you book 11 months out you will not have a problem getting exactly what you want... However, when you book only 5 months out, you run the risk of not getting exactly what you want. DVC is a very flexible program but that flexibility has a price... if you want what you want you have to book it early.

I think that Sunday night that someone was posting about not being able to get is the sunday before Columbus day. When you think about it, Sunday is already a popular check in/check out day because of the lower point cost for that night over Friday and Saturday. There are probably a whole bunch of people who decided to extend a week long trip that one more night because they have off the next day, making that Sunday twice as hard to book.

Actually, they just said it was in October so I assumed it meant columbus day. On later weekends there are other events, such as the food and wine festival and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party. Also, October is considered one of the cheaper seasons in which to travel when there's really no chance of cold weather. All of these factors could lead to low availablity this time of year as perhaps people book a long weekend to take advantage of these events.

Lisa

Hi Lizziemom,

Hope we can help. As for Sunday Reservations, we have not had a problem yet. The difficulty of a reservation depends alot on the size of the room you want, where you want to stay and the time of your vacation. For example, Xmas is sometimes difficult to get a resevation unless you call exactly 11 months out. This doesn't mean that you cannot get a reservation at Xmas, it is just more difficult.

My one piece of advice - buy where you plan to stay the most. As said above, the 11 mo. window can be critical. We just did an add on at HH so we could have an 11 mo window there for summer reservations.

As for freebies, Disney offers the same thing to everyone. You will be entitled to use Magical Beginnings as a way to help with a downpayment. After you join you will get a couple of nifty tote bags. There is a program at HH and Vero Beach where you can stay at a reduced price to "Check the placeout." It does require you to take the DVC tour.

The Disney Cruise can be book at the 11 mo mark.

As for availbility for your specific dates, they change constantly. People make and cancel reservations all the time. If you are flexible in the place you stay, say OKW as an option, you are more likely to get that week. That is a question you could ask your guide. In addition, they will let you make a reservation using that years current points as soon as you make your downpayment. You just will not be able to bank/borrow before you close.

Hope this helps more than it confuses.

Hi there!! Having just bought into DVC not too long ago, I understand your concerns. However, let me speak from experience--DH and I bought at VB because we wanted to be able to book far in advance for our beach vacations--times when it would be crowded. Most times, we don't even consider going on a "spur of the moment" trip to WDW. Well, last week DH found some pretty cheap airline tickets and said "do you think we can get some time at VB and BWV"? I was like NO WAY but it never hurts to try right? So I call MS and get all our days at VB and placed on the waiting list for BW. Not 2 days later, I get my rooms at BWV. Granted, we wanted a preferred studio room so I suppose it depends on your room type but we got what we wanted only 1 week out!!!! :D

I am not saying that you should only book trips one week in advance (LOL!!!). I just think that it won't be IMPOSSIBLE to get your times and days--and we are arriving on a Sunday too!! Obviously I am very PRO DVC but it really does have some great advantages--especially if you plan on visiting the resorts often enough. I am referring to prices (you save sooooo much money because of inflation) PLUS you know you will always have the opportunity to visit every year. For us, that would have been impossible without DVC. Since we were going to spend our vacations there ANYWAY--it made sense for us.

I hope this helps a little more. And one last thing--Member Services is terrific!! They are truly the most helpful people around and they really try to do AS MUCH as they can for you. And they get excited right along with you. When MS called me to tell me we got our rooms at BW, she was laughing and joking around with me because I jumping up and down (like an idiot!) ;)

Good luck with your decision--please feel free to post more concerns and questions...we love to help.

Leaving for VB/BWV in 5 days.....yahooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

No problem for us so far. I have booked two stays at the VWL at the 11 month time. A 1 bedroom in mid November 2001 and a 2 bedroom in mid January. Just last week I booked a standard studio at BW at 3.5 months out for the end of August.:earsboy:

Thank you all for your responses. It will help me make a decision.

Any more responses are appreciated.

Lizzie

We booked a 2bdr & studio at the 7 month window at the VWL. We are going in Nov so I'm sure the time of year has alot to do with it. Good luck in your decision.

I did the DVC tour last time I was at Disney in Jan/Feb. I saw a number of people at the different parks and on the buses with DVC pins, hats, jackets, etc. I stopped and talked to about a dozen different people. Totally random, none associated with Disney. Just people like all of us.

To a person, the only negative, the only regret was that they hadn't bought in sooner. Every time I told them that I was thinking about buying, I was interrupted and told, "Don't think about it, just do it. You won't regret it."

Our experience is very limited (in fact, we just got our official membership cards and tote bag today -- YIPPEE!!!!), but I booked two ressies in April: a studio at VWL 6/4-6/8 (a h.s. grad. gift for DS and a couple of friends) and a studio at OKW 7/26-29, followed by a 1 br at VWL 7/29-8/3 for DH, me, DD and her girlfriend. I had no problem getting what I was hoping to, and we're all looking forward to our trips. Actually, if we hadn't purchased a membership, DS and friends would have to settle for doing the famous 'Beach Week', but DH and I thought this would be a far better situation: they're too young to drink, have no car to drive, and there's plenty to do. However, if we had to pay a lump sum for their accomodations, this trip would not have happened. So far, we are very happy with DVC, and like everyone keeps saying, we wish we'd done this years ago.

We have never had any problem booking. It is important to buy where you want to stay the most. With the 11 month window you should get what you want. At some times of the year you do have to be a little flexable. If this is the only concern about buying, I would say "go for it".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter