• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trying to buy AP from the US

Julie Amber

Mouseketeer
I'm from the US and trying to buy an annual pass. I'm planning on taking a trip in just a couple of weeks and then again in May. So an annual pass makes the most sense. We found the tickets and options to buy on the French site. But when we tried to check out, it said there was an error and we weren't able to purchase them.

Can anyone advise how to do this?

Whatever you do, do not try and set up a payment in installments. If I want to pay in installments I arrange it at the park. It's too much of a hassle to send signed papers to Disney, it gets lost etc.
At least this was the case three years ago, you couldn't do this set up online. It had to go via snailmail. It went wrong two or three times and then I decided to just pay in full.

I'm from the US and trying to buy an annual pass. I'm planning on taking a trip in just a couple of weeks and then again in May. So an annual pass makes the most sense. We found the tickets and options to buy on the French site. But when we tried to check out, it said there was an error and we weren't able to purchase them.

I'm not sure what error you're encountering, but I had a LOT of issues trying to get the DLP site (this was even on the US site) to process our package payment this past spring/summer. I tried with five different credit/debit cards, after calling both our bank and VISA. Something kept going wrong in the payment phase (I think it was an issue with Verified by VISA/Master SecureCode process). I ended up having to pay via Paypal (which used the same credit card that kept getting rejected when I tried to use it directly).

Last edited:

I'm not sure what error you're encountering, but I had a LOT of issues trying to get the DLP site (this was even on the US site) to process our package payment this past spring/summer. I tried with five different credit/debit cards, after calling both our bank and VISA. Something kept going wrong in the payment phase (I think it was an issued with Verified by VISA/Master SecureCode process). I ended up having to pay via Paypal (which used the same credit card that kept getting rejected when I tried to use it directly).

Thanks for the info. I can definitely try Paypal. Whatever works at this point. lol

A bit OT but I’m here right now and I tried to pay with my Visa card for some pins and then the machine asked for a pin. What? I’ve never used my pin, nor knew it. I know whenever I get a new credit card I get a pin sent to me for cash withdrawal which I never do. I am an expert living over here in Europe and lately it’s become a PIA paying with credit card with all this verification crap. I get it but it sure making spending money harder LOL

A bit OT but I’m here right now and I tried to pay with my Visa card for some pins and then the machine asked for a pin. What? I’ve never used my pin, nor knew it. I know whenever I get a new credit card I get a pin sent to me for cash withdrawal which I never do. I am an expert living over here in Europe and lately it’s become a PIA paying with credit card with all this verification crap. I get it but it sure making spending money harder LOL
Very good to know

Have you tried the US site?

The US site doesn't sell annual passes. You'll see the information there, but not a link to pay or prices

just realized, WDW APs don’t go on sale until September 8th WDW time. Today is September 7th so you can’t buy APs anywhere…this is assuming that’s what you want to buy.

just realized, WDW APs don’t go on sale until September 8th WDW time. Today is September 7th so you can’t buy APs anywhere…this is assuming that’s what you want to buy.
This is the Disneyland Paris forum. Not the Disney World one. I do know that Disney World AP go on sale tomorrow. However, DL Paris has had them on sale for a while

This is the Disneyland Paris forum. Not the Disney World one. I do know that Disney World AP go on sale tomorrow. However, DL Paris has had them on sale for a while

Oops! Sorry about that.

have you tried other European disney sites? I remembered a few friends would have to try other sites when the French one wouldn’t work. But they live in Europe.

It interesting that you say that because on our August trip I found paying for everything in both Spain and France so much easier than past trips since everyone from street vendors on up now has contactless tap devices. On past trips, the machines at stores always defaulted to chip and signature with American cards, which annoyed the cashiers who then had to dig out a pen to have us sign and some systems just rejected the cards (we had one stay at a guesthouse in Germany in 2015 where the owner was unable to process the transaction using her point of sale device, but was able to enter the exact same credit card information into her online payment system and have it process). With the contactless payments (e.g. "tap to pay") we were never asked to provide ID or a signature and our card went through almost every single time. The only place we had an issue was the fare vending machines for the Barcelona Metro, which weren't tap to pay and rejected 3 of my 4 cards.

It interesting that you say that because on our August trip I found paying for everything in both Spain and France so much easier than past trips since everyone from street vendors on up now has contactless tap devices. On past trips, the machines at stores always defaulted to chip and signature with American cards, which annoyed the cashiers who then had to dig out a pen to have us sign and some systems just rejected the cards (we had one stay at a guesthouse in Germany in 2015 where the owner was unable to process the transaction using her point of sale device, but was able to enter the exact same credit card information into her online payment system and have it process). With the contactless payments (e.g. "tap to pay") we were never asked to provide ID or a signature and our card went through almost every single time. The only place we had an issue was the fare vending machines for the Barcelona Metro, which weren't tap to pay and rejected 3 of my 4 cards.
In this case I inserted in my card to read the chip. Most of the time I did use the tap. But for some odd reason lately it seems some machines ask for my credit card pin. I’ve been meaning to contact my bank what changes they may have made.

Updated to say that we are back from Paris. We had a fabulous time, but we were unsuccessful in getting an AP for my husband and myself. We couldn't get it to process before we went. So, we were told to just buy day passes and upgrade when we got there. So, we bought a 2 day pass to cover us for the days we wanted on this trip and tried to upgrade when we got there. We ended up waiting over an hour in line for them to tell us that upgrades are impossible. I was pretty upset about that because I'll be back in May and it would have saved us quite a bit of money. But warning to those of you who want to try to upgrade when you get there. They said that they can only upgrade a one day ticket and nothing else.

Updated to say that we are back from Paris. We had a fabulous time, but we were unsuccessful in getting an AP for my husband and myself. We couldn't get it to process before we went. So, we were told to just buy day passes and upgrade when we got there. So, we bought a 2 day pass to cover us for the days we wanted on this trip and tried to upgrade when we got there. We ended up waiting over an hour in line for them to tell us that upgrades are impossible. I was pretty upset about that because I'll be back in May and it would have saved us quite a bit of money. But warning to those of you who want to try to upgrade when you get there. They said that they can only upgrade a one day ticket and nothing else.
Yeah, those AP lines can be brutal! And I think it got worse ever since they moved it to the Studios, cause now you are in the same line as people buying discounted lines for their friends & family. When it was inside Disneyland Park, those people were weeded out already. And then still it could take a good chunk of your time! I totally get why you would be upset. :(

But good to hear you still had a great time, tell us more! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter