Trying Different Categories?

Laura24

Sleep tight Mickey
I was just curious about asking how many fellow cruisers have tried various categories just for the fun of it? I've been in cat. 6.....wonderful if you plan on using the verandah, we didn't use it much to justify the price, and I've stayed in cat. 7-navigators verandah....also nice, but too rocky being in the aft of the ship. We are now booked for cat. 9 midship. Any thoughts and experiences you would like to share? I have room 2090 booked. Just how large is that deluxe oceanview picture window?? ;)

we have tryed cat 4 ,7 ,8 9,10
liked them all just happy to go on the the cruise

peter

We had a Cat5 on cruise no1; booked Cat10 for cruise no2 and chickened out two weeks prior and upgraded to Cat5. Upcoming cruise no3 we have a Cat11 and are going to try to stand our ground mostly to try something different and save $$$ -- it's a 3-day. All of the above-mentioned are on Deck 7. I don't know that I'd like to be below deck 5.

Been in Cat.5 deck seven, cat. 6 deck six, cat. 6 deck five and are going back to cat. 6 deck six. Cat. 5 is no different than six wouldn't waste the money again. I don't know if I could go without the veranda-I think I'd rather eat manwhich for a month to save up. But then I spend a great deal of time on the veranda.

I think I'd always want the verandah. We've stayed in both cat 5 and 7. I always go for the 7 (Navigator's Verandah) now. I don't feel like I lose much between that and a regular verandah. We use the verandah quite a bit. At a very mininmum I'm out there for an hour or so in the morning before my wife wakes up, and we both like to have a final drink or two at the end of the day out there. We usually have lunch out there a couple of times during the week, too.

I don't find that the ship moves any more or less fore-to-aft, so I don't mind being aft. I actually prefer to be close to the aft elevators.

Ann,

I loved your Manwich comment! Reminds me of my college days. Remember, you can always alternate between Manwiches, top ramen noodles, and Kraft macaroni & cheese, just to have a bit of variety....

We have worked our way through most of the categories in 29 Disney cruises (except, of course, the giant suites, and we've also never been in a Cat. 12), and we've also tried several subtypes (for example, both the plexiglass and the metal verandahs that are in Cat. 6). My favorite stateroom, 5650, is a category 6. I love the verandah, and I also love its far-aft location due to the peace & quiet. We've been in a Cat. 5, and there is no difference between that and a Cat. 6 except being a deck or two higher...for me, that isn't an advantage, since I love being close to the water.
We've only had a Cat. 7 (Nav. verandah) once, but I really liked it...nice and cozy.
For inside staterooms, I of course always try to go with a secret porthole room, since they are not truly inside. If I couldn't get one of those, I would go with an 11 rather than a 10 because we've had a couple of bad experiences down on deck 2. At least the 11s are on the higher decks, with less potential for noise overhead. I would definitely sacrifice the split bathroom for less noise potential.
We've stayed on almost every deck, but not deck 1. I am curious about those dual porthole rooms...can't decide whether I'd like or hate them!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

We have been in Categories 4, 8 and 9 on Decks 8, 6, 1 & 2. I loved my veranda in Cat 4 but can't justify the price anymore if I want to cruise as often as I like. I actually love being on Decks 1 and 2...we have always stayed mid-ship and never had a noise or motion problem. It is also very convenient to shops, shows, dinner and Atrium area. Cat 9's are fine for me!!!

MJ

We have had category 6 and 11's for my family and honestly I would be happy even sleeping in a lifeboat!! LOL!!

We've been in a cat.4 for our 5 Disney cruises and cat.3 on our cruises on other lines. I booked a cat.11 for our October cruise and my husband is not happy. It's a 3 day so I figured it was a good time to try something new. I'm looking forward to not having that split bath - Yeah! I know I'm in the minority...Are these rooms really dark?

P.S. I too would be happy sleeping in a lifeboat right now. It is just so cold here.

I also am just happy to be cruisin' with DCL, and I guess my thoughts to my original post were probably just convincing myself out loud that we will be OK on deck 2 and hearing other comments makes the decision less painful. I know it is easy to become spoiled if you start at the top of the categories and slowly work your way down, but it is a place to sleep, nap and dress. The fun stuff is outside the door. We won't know until we try! Now DH's only concern is trying to figure out just how far "above" the water we are. His imagination runs in to overtime at times....he needs to RELAX!!! ONLY 375 days away!;)

edith76:
We are doing the same thing. I'm a bit nervous about not having the split bathroom, but we figured it is only 3 days. We LOVE having the verandah and have never experienced anything different. I'll be curious to see what you think when you return! Keep me posted if you don't mind!

Originally posted by edith76
We've been in a cat.4 for our 5 Disney cruises and cat.3 on our cruises on other lines. I booked a cat.11 for our October cruise and my husband is not happy. It's a 3 day so I figured it was a good time to try something new. I'm looking forward to not having that split bath - Yeah! I know I'm in the minority...Are these rooms really dark?

Last year we had an inside stateroom on the Carnival Pride and it was dark, so dark that I decided that I couldn't be in an inside stateroom for our Disney cruise this May. Decided to try cat 5 this time. Had cat 8 on deck 6 for our first Disney cruise.

My family and I (DH, DS(16) and DD(12)) are taking our second cruise in November. We did the Eastern last Nov. and booked a Cat 9 on Deck 2, midship. We booked the same for the Western cruise this year. We had no problems with noise or motion. The window is quite large and we enjoyed being closer to the water -- although, you're well above the water line. We were very happy with our cabin and especially liked the split bath.

We don't spend a lot of time in our cabin and didn't want to spend extra to have a verandah room (DH and I would prefer to spend the extra $$ on spa treatments!)

Anyway, I'm sure you'll like your Cat 9 cabin just fine.

Enjoy your trip!

Although I am very spoiled and prefer 5650, I will take an inside stateroom if I need to in order to slip in a few extra cruises :D
When we first started cruising, we always stayed in Cat. 11 before we knew about the secret porthole rooms. We were seldom in our stateroom anyway, as it was a three night cruise and we were busy trying to see and do everything. I would still stay in a Cat. 11, and even on deck 2 as long as I wasn't above or below anything too noisy. I don't mind being low on the ship, as I love being near the water, and the view from a Deck 2 porthole is very soothing. We've had a stateroom down there a couple of times, and I spent a lot of pleasant time in the evening just staring out at the ocean.
Of course, I have to agree with Carol...even though I am fussy, if it came right down to it, I'd take a lifeboat or even a cot next to the engine just to be on the ship!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

We had a Cat 11 room on deck 7 for our first 4 night cruise in 1999. It was fine and the single bathroom was not a big deal for the three of us. We went to a Cat 6 room on deck 6 for our second cruise in 2001 (7 night). We enjoyed having the verandah for the mornings and evenings. It is a nice place to sit and relax without alot of people around. It give you a little privacy when you need it.

We are going with a Cat 3 room for our May 10 cruise. Mostly because we have an extra person along (brother-in-law). The Cat 3 room will give everyone a little more space.

It all comes down to personal preference. We really love the verandah and would go with a Cat 6 again (without the brother-in-law) in the future.

And yes, the inside staterooms are very dark!

Ken

We have booked Cat 9 for our first DCL cruise, on deck 2. Our rooms are listed as sometime noisy. Oh well.

I was brought up with the adage "take the cheapest cabin on the best ship" when it came to cruising. I don't want to be in my cabin one second longer than necessary.

I have followed this rule and never yet been disappointed.

My one capitulation is i have to have light, so I take cheaper outside cabins.

When it comes to ships, I don't think you will beat DCL. As for potential noise, I plan to wear my self out so much I will sleep through anything.

Any room in that lifeboat?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter