Trust the run to find your way (comments and wisecracks welcome...)

prncssjas

Running, Disney, Aladdin...
Welcome to my running journal.

I literally just discovered this page today and spent the afternoon reading many, many of your journals entries (please don't tell my employer...🤫🤣). I feel so inspired by you all and the efforts you have put into your training--so amazing. I have been on the DIS boards for over 20 years but until recently, I usually just lurk--I promise I am not creepy, just an introvert. I live in the beautiful state of Michigan, where the seasons are not variable at all and it's balmy year round. 👀🙄 Just kidding, it's colder than *&#%$ but excellent for training purposes.

While I try not to take myself too seriously (I love sarcastic humor), I do taking my running and training seriously. I have been running since 2011 (off and on for a few of those years) but in the past two years, I have really started to buckle down on my performance. Running has been my patient friend that I have ignored for days (or months) and it has patiently awaited my return. The irony in all of this is that I hated PE in high school (from faking injury to skipping class) and did not grow up athletic at all--so here I am, age 48, mom to an almost 21 year old college student (please wait until you're legal child...) and wife to an amazing husband who runs really fast and I am ready to set goals and achieve them, even as I approach AARP eligibility! Woooooo!!!

My short term and life running goals are both serious and not so serious:

For 2023
Run a 54:45 10k time locally so I can attempt to secure Corral A at Princess Weekend Half in 2024 (per the guidelines shared by @DopeyBadger ). This is NOT because I am elitist I promise. It's truly because my obnoxious husband is always in Corral A and I have so much FOMO. And his race pics are always much better than mine....🤣 So ideally, I'd love to experience it with him instead of asking him to drop back (even though he is such a good sport about it). I have a few minutes to go on this goal.

And beyond
Run a 25 minute 5k (I have a couple minutes to go here)
Run a sub-two half marathon (close but no cigar)
Qualify for Boston (please don't tell anyone...lol. I haven't even told my husband. Saying it out loud makes it real and that's super scary). This one feels like it's long years away but I am hoping if I put it here, it might actually come true.

I have a terrific running coach who is very active in our local community with track & field coaching and she is pretty elite herself. I adore her and have been coaching with her since last summer. Because of her guidance, I have PR'd in every single distance in the past year (5k, 10k, 10 miler, half and full distance). I am grateful but I would like to see myself run stronger and faster--some days, I look at my Garmin and I am emotional at how far I have come. Running is very much the sport that you get out what you put in. 💜

80% of my training runs are an easy pace while the remaining 20% is speed work/tempos/hills and other refined workouts. I try to cross train but that might mean chasing my three dogs (two standard poodles and a Maltese) in the yard. I do my best. 🐩

Upcoming Races in 2023
Glass City Half Marathon in Toledo, OH this weekend (yikes!) so I am in an oddly weird taper mode (although I raced a 10k last weekend, set a new PR and won third place in my age group...must have been a slow heat...😂)

Bayshore Half Marathon in the beautiful town of Traverse City, MI in May

TBD on a few others (maybe CRIM festival of races 10 Miler in Flint for August). My training plan for the rest of 2023 will likely focus on 5k/10k distance and speed work because I don't know how fast I can get my half marathon time down without the speed work.

For 2024, I plan to run Princess Half and the Revel Mt. Charleston Half in Las Vegas.

Don't come at me but I like the Disney races but don't plan my life around them. They have their own unique joy and splendor but I love running more (Disney just becomes part of the fun). I hope it's ok to say that on the DIS boards in the RUN DISNEY group. LOL.

If you have read this far, wow, thank you. I am humbled by all of this and incredibly grateful. The best day to run is today--you never know where it will take you. 🥳

Welcome from a felllow Michigander. Sounds like you have a great setup/attitude to running. I think your goals are reasonable (based on absolutely NO knowledge of you or anything else....Ha!) And you can say the Boston thing out loud here. We get it. For one (possibly entirely irrelevant) data point, I took up running when I was turning 50. 2 years later I qualified for Boston. The nice thing about approaching "AARP eligibility" is that the time requirement gets bigger....and the thing about approaching Medicare age is that it gets bigger still!

Good luck on our journey!

<waves hello from the greater TC area>
Do you know who the speaker is for Bayshore this year? I didn't hear until days later that they had Des last year. Ugh. I totally woulda tried to figure out how to get there for that!

I think your goals are reasonable (based on absolutely NO knowledge of you or anything else....Ha!)
Thank you!! LOL! Some days, I think I am ready and other days, I think I am crazy but it's all good! 😊

<waves hello from the greater TC area>
Do you know who the speaker is for Bayshore this year? I didn't hear until days later that they had Des last year. Ugh. I totally woulda tried to figure out how to get there for that!
Ohhhhhh I love Traverse City...it's one of my favorite places to visit in MI.

And YES! It's Emma Bates!!!! We didn't try to get tickets last year to hear Desi because I don't usually go up early enough to make the talk but if you can make it, you should totally go! This year, they are picking one person/couple/family from the audience to have dinner with Emma that night....SO COOL!!!!!! I think it's on the Bayshore registration website (to get tickets).

Week in Review and upcoming:
Tuesday, 4/11: Race week fartlek
  1. Warm up 10 min @ 11:36-13:16 min/mi
  2. Repeat 1 time
    3 min @ 09:40-10:19 min/mi
    3 min @ 10:55-12:23 min/mi
  3. Repeat 2 times
    2 min @ 09:01-09:17 min/mi
    2 min @ 10:55-12:23 min/mi
  4. Repeat 3 times
    1 min @ 08:45-09:01 min/mi
    1 min @ 10:55-12:23 min/mi
  5. Cool Down 10 min @ 11:36-13:16 min/mi
Thursday, 4/13: Form Night with my running coach
Drills, Form Cues, 30 min @ 11:36-13:16 min/mi

Saturday, 4/15: Martian Invasion of Races 10k (PR and 3rd place age group award! 🥳 )
58:01, 9:20 overall pace; pic of me and DH on podium
Mile 1: 9:22
Mile 2: 9:21
Mile 3: 9:09
Mile 4: 9:02
Mile 5: 9:25
Mile 6: 9:11
Mile 7: 8:08

Sunday, 4/16: 40 minute recovery run @12:23 Easy Pace

Tuesday, 4/18: Race Week Fartlek

1. Warm up 10 min @ 11:36-13:16 min/mi
  2. Repeat 1 time
    3 min @ 09:40-10:19 min/mi
    3 min @ 10:55-12:23 min/mi
  3. Repeat 2 times
    2 min @ 09:01-09:17 min/mi
    2 min @ 10:55-12:23 min/mi
  4. Repeat 3 times
    1 min @ 08:45-09:01 min/mi
    1 min @ 10:55-12:23 min/mi
  5. Cool Down 10 min @ 11:36-13:16 min/mi

Wednesday, 4/19: 40 Minute Recovery Run @11:45 Easy Pace

Thursday, 4/20: 60 Minute Cross training

Friday, 4/21 30 minute shake out run 11:36-13:16 Easy Pace

RACE DAY! Sunday, April 23: Glass City Half Marathon in Toledo, OH. LET'S GO!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_8876.JPG
    IMG_8876.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 28
Congrats on the Martian AG award. What are they giving out these days? I have a few, but they're all different. One year was a Martini glass--I guess an obvious choice for a Martian race!

Congrats on the Martian AG award. What are they giving out these days? I have a few, but they're all different. One year was a Martini glass--I guess an obvious choice for a Martian race!
Thank you so much!

Well, this year it was a cool Martian themed neck gator/warmer (pic attached). Last year, it was a nice coaster/magnet. They usually have nice gifts. At other Running Fit races, we have received mugs, lunch totes, and pint glasses. 😊

Attachments

• 6D0EC207-344E-4E57-BBD3-32D6C1B251C4.jpeg
    6D0EC207-344E-4E57-BBD3-32D6C1B251C4.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 16
Race Recap
Glass City Half Marathon in Toledo, OH on Sunday, April 23, 2023

Time: 2:05:53 (9:37 per mile average pace)
Age Group (45-49): 45 of 122

Mile Splits
Mile 1: 9:23
Mile 2: 9:42
Mile 3: 9:22
Mile 4: 9:07
Mile 5: 9:40 (water stop/energy gel)
Mile 6: 9:16
Mile 7: 9:20
Mile 8: 9:50 (water stop/energy gel)
Mile 9: 9:21
Mile 10: 9:43
Mile 11: 9:47
Mile 12: 9:37
Mile 13: 9:32
Mile 14: 8:56

I had a great time at the Glass City Half Marathon on Sunday. DH wasn't "racing" his event so he made the very gracious and generous decision to pace me to a six minute PR for my half time. I was thrilled and this was hard work for me. The last 5k was tough, I was tired and ready to slow down but having DH there to keep me going helped a lot (more than I expected, lol) so I am going to give some serious consideration to using pace groups for future runs. It was cold (approximately 37 degrees at 6:30am start time) and the course is mostly flat so it was optimal racing conditions. I got to the start line feeling healthy, strong and ready.

A sub two hour half is my biggest goal (outside of a 53 minute 10k) and I am really excited to see that this takes me one step closer to it. 💜 I am going to work on speed training in the coming months/summer to see what I can do to shave off the last fews minutes towards this goal.

It's amazing how fresh you look and feel before a race (pic for reference, 😂).

and then afterwards, the hard work shows. I was also happy that my running coach came out to spectate for all her athletes and got a pic of my DH pacing me at Mile 1! So fun!!

Now I am on to 3 days of rest and next week, vacation BLT! Woooot!! Let's GO!

Attachments

• IMG_1081.JPG
    IMG_1081.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7578.jpeg
    IMG_7578.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7471.jpeg
    IMG_7471.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 11
I had a great time at the Glass City Half Marathon on Sunday. DH wasn't "racing" his event so he made the very gracious and generous decision to pace me to a six minute PR for my half time. I
Great job on the PR and high five to your DH For supporting you!

6 minute PR?!?! 🤩 Congrats! Will be rooting for your sub 2 goal!
Thank you SO much and yes, I could not believe it when the chip timing came in! I was floored (despite the fact that I was cursing DH the whole 13 miles.... 🤣 ).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter