Trundle bed collapses on woman

That pic doesn't look like they anchored it to the wall at all, b/c I don't see the holes where it would have ripped away...I see 2 tiny screws sticking out one side...and that's it...
There are four tiny holes just under the tv, and 2 of the 4 drywall anchors came out with the bed on the left. They clearly tried to use drywall anchors to fasten this. I cannot believe no one caught it.

There are four tiny holes just under the tv, and 2 of the 4 drywall anchors came out with the bed on the left. They clearly tried to use drywall anchors to fasten this. I cannot believe no one caught it.
Not defending them, as the obviously didn't mount it right, but I'm not convinced you see drywall anchors in the photo, I think you may see screws coated with bits of drywall stuck to them from pulling out of the wall. Regardless, a poor install.
If they used anchors, I think the holes in the wall would be bigger. Also, you typically don't see white plastic anchors that are as long as that, that are that thin. They just don't need to be that long as they are only stuck in the drywall.

Last edited:
Not defending them, as the obviously didn't mount it right, but I'm not convinced you see drywall anchors in the photo, I think you may see screws coated with bits of drywall stuck to them from pulling out of the wall. Regardless, a poor install.
If they used anchors, I think the holes in the wall would be bigger. Also, you typically don't see white plastic anchors that are as long as that, that are that thin. They just don't need to be that long as they are only stuck in the drywall.
Well, if you are right then they just screwed into drywall which is worse!

Well, if you are right then they just screwed into drywall which is worse!
It's a no win debate in my mind. However, if they used anchors, that means they knew they were doing it wrong as that isn't acceptable. At least if they didn't use anchors, maybe they just made a mistake in not realizing they failed to the hit the stud. Though I can't fathom anyone that runs a screw gun for a living not realizing the screws didn't bite.
What I find interesting is the screws aren't sticking out of the bed on the other side, so they are either still in the wall, and the heads pulled through the bed side of the mounting....or when the screws pulled out of the wall they fell out of the bed.
It's conceivable the bed frame broke on the right side, and put too much pressure on the left side.
Bottom line, building maintenance has some investigation and repair work to do. Thankfully only one failure. Can you imagine the fire storm if it were more than one failure?

I don't think they explicitly state one way or another.

I know at POR they say "sleeps 5" in the trundle bed rooms (I know the set up is different).

But I wonder if they start specifying now because of this, shifting the "blame" a little if something does happen....

I don’t think they will start specifying because that would mean changing the occupancy limits of most DVC studios (which is currently 5 adults).

I guess the bigger point is they have installed these kind of beds for years, its a not a new concept. The one that collapsed wouldn't have held much wait at all from the looks of the pics.

I realize that. But were they installed by the same crew/company/person? Unlikely. Furthermore, you can't begin to compare the two. There is a HUGE difference in design in those beds and these ones. Look at how much more support there is for the bed with the ones at POR and CBR compared to the ones at Riviera - the other beds fold down onto a full bench, so the weight of the bed/person is supported by a solid base. The ones at Wilderness Lodge fold down onto a table. This isn't the case at Riviera. Not only that - the actual bed at Riviera is larger than at POR/CBR.

View attachment 459516View attachment 459517

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter