True Confessions . . . The Full Story

REFRAMING THE BIG PICTURE
When our turn around the carousel is over and we carefully dismount, it is time to go. We all hold hands and move toward the exit on Main Street, U.S.A.® with a deep sense of contentment and peace.

It is a bittersweet and almost surreal feeling to walk this path voluntarily. I am so accustomed to being pushed down it by a dense, packed-sardine-style crowd that is making its mass exodus. In a way, I miss the sense of solidarity that hangs heavy over a large group that has shared the same struggle of surviving a long day and is now being removed due to the arbitrary practice of closing the park by a particular hour. It seems odd to pass the brightly lit shops and heavenly smells on the way out without crying babies all around and the balloons of a person, who stands directly in front of me, smacking me in the face. And it is definitely foreign to have enough open space around me as I walk so that I can see the ground and avoid awkwardly stepping on a trolley track and twisting my ankle.

Yet at the same time, I have a new sense of pride as I leave on my own accord. It is unexpected, but there is a great amount of dignity in admitting that your time in the park has come to an end before cast members begin rejecting your entry in the lines of their closed attractions. And there is certainly less stress in catching your mode of transportation since hour-long waits have not yet formed in the boat docks, bus stops, and tram and monorail depots.

I feel my eyes are opened a little more with every step toward our exit. Apparently, Disney can be enjoyed in more ways than The Sacred Seven indicate. A “perfect” Disney vacation takes a different shape for different families in different stages, and room needs to be left for these different “walks of life” as well as the evolution of one’s own “walk in life”. For example, it has become apparent that even in this single vacation, our family’s membership in the Disney Vacation Club has already begun to subtly change the way that we operate. It is relieving to understand that it is Ok to allow these changes to take place . . . even embrace them.

I hold tightly to the new treasure of these truths as we board the red flag-flying boat that takes us back to The Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. We are on our way back to relax a little in the comfort of our villa before turning in for a full night’s rest. The extra hours of sleep will be needed for the emotionally difficult day that looms before us, the day of departure from our cherished Walt Disney World®.

DAY 8
WONDERING ABOUT THE WILDERNESS LODGE
With a great jolt, I sit up straight in bed. As I gasp for breath, I look at the clock. It is 4:30 am. I begin to panic and let out a great whine, “Oh no! I can’t believe it!” DH startles at my actions, “What?! What is it?” “I can’t believe it,” I say nearly in tears, “I missed it.” DH continues to probe, “What did you miss?” I wail, “The Wonders of the Wilderness Lodge Tour! I just can’t believe it! It was one of the things I was most looking forward to doing. I was planning on doing it the morning my mom came, but I forgot until just this moment. Now I have lost my chance since we are leaving today. And we won’t be back at this resort for years because we will stay at all the other Disney Vacation Club resorts before we return to this one.”

I flop down on my extremely puffy pillow, pouting like a little girl who was just denied tea and cake at her unbirthday party. The tour had looked so intriguing when I read about it in the Disney forums. It promised to deliver a unique history of all the lodge particulars. This was my chance to find out the inspirational stories behind this magnificent building, and it slipped through my fingers almost unnoticed. Life is so unfair sometimes. How could this have happened?

“Well, when is the tour,” DH continues with his investigation. I moan with all the doom and gloom I can muster, “It is at 9:00am Wedenesday through Friday. Wednesday was the day I was supposed to go. Thursday we went to the Magic Kingdom®. And today, we will be too busy getting packed up and checking out. I can’t believe it! How could I have forgotten it? Did we sleep in that morning?” DH confirms that we did sleep in on Wednesday morning, which is the reason the tour must have slipped my mind. I moan again as I realize that letting my NDM guard down and relaxing on my vacation has deprived me of one of the primary events I had been hoping to attend. In the future I will have to be more careful about releasing my NDM ways to indulge in this new notion of “relaxing” on vacation. There certainly is no point in “relaxing” if you miss all the fun.

I huff and puff a bit, and then I bury my head in my abundant pillow to muffle the scream of frustration that I am compelled to let out. I know that I must let this go, but how can our “perfect” vacation recover from this gross oversight?

Rubbing my back in sympathy, DH says, “Well, why don’t you go this morning? If you get up a little early to help with packing the suitcases, I will feed the kids and clean and pack the kitchen.” My heart takes an unexpected leap. What a romantic gesture! “Really? Do you mean that,” I ask with great expectation. “Sure,” he states, “We’ve eaten most of the food we brought, so packing up the kitchen won’t be as difficult as it was from home. How long does the tour last?” I express uncertainty but relay that I doubt it will be more than an hour. “Well, then you will still be back an hour before we have to leave. That should be enough time to make sure we’ve got everything taken care of before they pick up our bags,” he lovingly rationalizes.

A grand smile overtakes my face. DH’s ability to understand the uncommon needs of a NDM certainly takes me by surprise. What an incredible show of sensitivity on his part! He is absolved of any Disney sins that he has previously committed, and he is granted the status of Disney saint for the rest of the day. I give him a tender kiss on his precious cheek and snuggle back into the comfort of my bed for another hour and a half.

When the clock reads 6:00 am, I get out of bed and start to prepare for the day. After making myself presentable, I lay clothes out for all my sleepy heads and pack up their suitcases. I then gather all of the souvenirs we have accumulated and make sure they are carefully packaged as well. Slowly a mountain of suitcases, boxes, and bags grows near the entrance of our villa.

Once everyone awakens, I get to work on a more thorough routine of departure preparation. Children dressed and groomed? Check! Beds stripped? Check! Dirty towels and linens put in laundry basket? Check! Extra blankets folded? Check! Kids toys and special stuffed animals located, gathered and ready for transportation? Check!

It isn’t long before the nine o’-clock hour rolls around. I hurry out the door and rush to the lobby. I don’t want to risk being left behind on the tour because NDMs simply love Disney history. We feed on it like plants absorbing water from the soil. It is a form of sustenance for us. The tales about the people and events that helped form the present Disney come together to form a compelling story of drama, suspense, comedy, tragedy, action and romance. It is a feast for the NDM mind, and I am hungry!

I arrive in the lobby, but fail to see a group. Have I missed the tour in spite of my great effort to make it on time? I inquire at the Concierge Desk. They inform me that the group is standing by the huge supporting pillar right behind me. Odd! I certainly had not seen a group when I arrived three seconds ago. I turn to take a second look, but I still don’t see a group. I question at the Concierge Desk once again. They tell me more specifically to fix my gaze upon a middle-aged couple casually standing near the pillar. I remark, “Just them?” They nod, so I make my way over to the designated tour spot.

I am a little surprised by the tiny number of attendants. Apparently, this is not a widely popular tour. I reason that not everyone can be expected to show such a passionate hunger for Disney history. This level of interest is almost always reserved for the more devout Disney fans such as the unique breed of NDMs.

Park Ranger Stan, an elderly man who is our tour guide, approaches our group with his protégé. He introduces his trainee and himself with an adorable smile that makes me wish I could pinch his cheek. He gives a brief explanation of his own long-standing history of working for Walt Disney World®, and I am completely taken in. I love hearing about how Disney has affected the lives of others and how other lives have affected Disney, and Park Ranger Stan shares his memories with great affection. This tour is off to a great start.

But then Park Ranger Stan begins a long monologue about the materials that compose the lodge. We stand in this single spot for about fifteen minutes, listening to in-depth descriptions about types of wood, concrete and stone as Park Ranger Stan points his red, power-point pen at various features in the lobby.

While I have a healthy appreciation for construction materials, the amount of concrete needed to form the walkways is not exactly what I came to hear about. I tell myself to be patient. Surely, once we start moving Park Ranger Stan will switch from these cold-hard construction statistics to inspiring tales that took place within different areas of this beautiful and magical setting. I can tell by his endearing nature that this man is connected to many lives here, and I am certain he has more stories to tell than time will allow.

Eventually the middle-aged woman in our group asks if we will be moving from the spot we have been standing in for about twenty minutes. Park Ranger Stan explains that the tour begins, remains and ends in this single spot. He states that his power-point pen makes moving unnecessary since we can visually follow the red dot around the room.

I am confused. It seems like the historic tales we will soon hear would be more powerful if we travel to the places in which they occurred. But I tell myself not to be so demanding. The important part is not standing in various locations. The important part is simply learning the legacies.

But Park Ranger Stan just continues to talk about square footage and sand bags. We are occasionally blessed with a passing remark about Native Americans visiting the construction site to approve Disney’s efforts of authenticity, but—in general—the topic remains strictly architectural with little said about humanity. I feel myself get a bit antsy.

After another ten minutes, Park Ranger Stan asks with finality, “Does anyone have questions?” I am left a little alarmed that his tone indicates we are at the end of this tour, and I have yet to hear one bonafide, historical tale about a specific event, person or token of humanity other than our dear park ranger’s introductory resume.

I quickly raise my hand. “Could you tell us about any interesting people or events that are in the lodge’s history,” I sweetly implore. “Hmmm. Could you give me an example of what you are looking for,” he probes. I respond, “Well, things like . . . have any famous people stayed here? What happened when they did? Was the building packed with onlookers? Has anyone died here? Has anyone been born here? Have any horrific curses been cast on this place? What about blessings? Were there any terrific obstacles that needed to be overcome and ultimately ended up in the triumphant completion of the building? Oh! I know! Are there any Wilderness spirits that haunt the lodge on occasion? Or are there any legendary cast members who have greatly contributed in some way to the betterment of this place?”

Park Ranger Stan looks a little stunned by my sudden, verbal explosion. “Well, I guess I don’t rightly know of anything like that off the top of my head,” he admits. “What about romantic tales? Do you have any specific memories about weddings that have taken place here,” I plead. He shakes his head and says, “Not exactly. I can tell you, though, that weddings in the lodge take place on that upper balcony. Most of the bride’s here are Asian. Apparently, it is less expensive for an Asian bride to have a grand affair here in Walt Disney World® than it is to have a smaller affair in their own country.” I consider this tid-bit more interesting than the other stuff he has told us so far, but when I inquire about more specifics, he has none to give.

In an attempt to jump start his memory, I feed him the beginnings of a story that I have already heard. I rationalize that though I know the basics of this tale, he may be able to fill in details with a more personal touch. At this point, I am desperate to hear a story even if I already know it. “Can you tell us the story of the man who worked here and began the tradition of rubbing Humphrey’s nose,” I ask. “I’d be happy to do that if I knew the story,” he replies. I suggest, “Oh, I am sure you know this. There was a man who used to work here. You must have known him. He would rub Humphrey’s nose. But he is now dead. Does that sound familiar?” “No,” he says with a terrific smile, “but I am really interested to hear about it. Why don’t you tell the group about it?”

I am a little embarrassed to be suddenly thrust into the role of tour guide, but this tour is begging for stories that aren’t about brick and mortar. I feel obliged to share what I know with the other two people who made the effort to come to this tour (possibly with misaligned expectations as I did). “Well, I am a member on the Disboards, which is an online community. If you have a question about Disney, these people will have the answer for you within 5 minutes flat. Anyway, on that board, this story is Disney’s Wilderness Lodge 101. There was a cast member, someone they called ‘A Wilderness Vet,’ and he really loved his job here. He apparently started the tradition of rubbing Humphrey’s nose. Humphrey is the bear on the bottom of the totem pole near the mercantile shop. Park Ranger Stan, do you mind shining your power-point dot on Humphrey for us,” I request. Park Ranger Stan is happy to assist my presentation and directs our attention to Humphrey with his pen. I continue, “Well, he told everyone that when they visited Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, if they would rub Humphrey’s nose at the start of their vacation, it would make their magical vacation dreams come true. He has died since then, but people still seek out Humphrey every time they visit to carry on this tradition. My kids and I did this when we first arrived earlier this week, and it was a lot of fun for us. As you can see, the paint on Humphrey’s nose has been worn off. This is because of all of the rubbing, so this cast member’s legacy lives on at the nose of this adorable bear.”

My story is met with unexpressive nods from the inattentive couple. Apparently, brick and mortar statistics actually were all they came to hear about. But Park Ranger Stan looks as if he could not be more pleased with my tale. He remarks, “That was wonderful! Maybe you should learn to give the tour. I never realized that Humphrey’s paint had been rubbed off, but you are right. Isn’t that amazing!”

Due to Park Ranger Stan’s reaction, I feel proud of my contribution. Maybe the mystical cast member’s legend will expand if Park Ranger Stan decides to add the tale to his tour.

Suddenly, Park Ranger Stan’s face brightens. “I have a story for you that I think you will like,” he offers, “But we will have to go to the floor where the weddings take place. Does everyone have enough time to do this? Our tour is actually over now, so you may leave if you need to.” Everyone agrees to stay, however, and he leads us to the higher level.

Once we are there, he has us look over the railing for a bird’s eye view of the lobby floor. In a secretive tone he relays that he doesn’t always give this information out because some consider it to be offensive to their religion or to their lack of religion. With that disclaimer, I am hooked. I know this is going to be good.

He then explains that the Native American tale of Creation is told in the layout of the wood planks on the floor. So with his pointer pen in hand, Park Ranger Stan begins the elaborate Creation story from the perspective of Native Americans. With each story detail he traces the floor with his floating red dot to illustrate the hidden symbolism. Park Ranger Stan becomes more engrossed in the legend with each word, and I can see his enthusiasm and pride in the lodge growing as his story progresses. He continues until the end and delivers an excellent and informative report that certainly speaks of the lodge’s architectural history as well as the theology that is the backdrop for it. And by the time he finishes this climatic presentation, I am full to the brim with satisfaction. This is the type of thing that I had hoped to learn about. It was long in coming, but Park Ranger Stan did not let me down.

As we conclude our time together, Park Ranger Stan asks again, “Does anyone have more questions?” I raise my hand again. He looks at me quizzically, waiting for me to respond. I carefully inquire, “Are you able to show us any of the Hidden Mickeys of the lodge?” Park Ranger Stan flashes me his winning smile but says, “You have stumped me again.” Rats! “Well,” I think to myself, “no one could blame me for trying.”

Just stumbled upon your trip report. It is told beautifully. You should work on getting that book published. I will have to check out your website, because I am, at times, considered a NDM. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

i really enjoy your writing style, and i look forward to reading more! :goodvibes

I hope you'll join me on my blog then. I only have one last installment, then--sadly--this report will come to an end. :sad: But I would love to stay in touch with everyone through my blog, email and facebook (I'm J.L. Knopp and/or search "the Disney Driven Life" for that facebook page).

PASSING THE TORCH
I return to my villa feeling thankful for my encounter with Park Ranger Stan. But as I open the door and see the condition of our room, I am brought back to the reality that my dreamy week is coming to a close.

DH has done a good job feeding the kids and packing up the kitchen. I see that there is little left to be done, and I am grateful that I don’t have to spend my last moments here in a frenzy as I try to meet our check-out deadline.

A phone call is made to bell services, and shortly thereafter some cheerful park rangers arrive with a shiny cart to transport our luggage to the minivan. They look a lot happier than our family does. I personally am a little deflated as I watch our belongings be removed from our magical villa. It marks the definite end of our wilderness occupation. To watch the progression of our eviction is almost more than I can take.

The villa has been more than a temporary room for us. It truly has come to feel like our “home away from home” even though we have only been here a few days. I attribute this to the fact that these few days have been packed with more unforgettable memories than we have possibly made in the last six months. Every day has been “family day”. Every day has been an adventure. We have taken an incredible journey together while we were here, and we have been rewarded at every turn.

I send the kids on with DH to follow our luggage and get strapped into the van for our trip. After they exit, I have one final look through the villa. I always do this to look for any items that were accidentally overlooked in our packing. This time, though, I also do it to try to fix the memory of this precious place firmly in my mind. Once I have glanced over each room for the last time, I know that I can’t delay any more. It is time to go, so I walk out of the entrance to our villa and reluctantly shut the door behind me.

As I rejoin my family under the grand porte-cochere where the van is temporarily parked and being loaded, I find my children already affixed to their designated, travel spots. I peer into the van from the open sliding panel to assess the situation. DD3 is fervently sucking her thumb again to ease the stress of this traumatic departure. DS6 is clutching his favorite stuffed animal for emotional support, and DD8 is staring at the entrance to the grand lobby we entered for the first time only six days ago.

“DD8,” I ask, “What are you thinking about?” My voice pulls her from her deep thoughts, and she looks at me with sorrowful eyes. “Mom,” she cries as big teardrops run down her cheeks, “I just can’t bear it! Why do we have to leave? This place is so beautiful. It is so wonderful! We have had such a good time. I can’t stand it that we are leaving! I wish we could always live here.” My heart aches for her because I am all too familiar with this sentiment. However, in the midst of her sobbing I see something incredibly beautiful. I see that the seeds of Disney passion that I have been so diligent to sow over the span of her life have come to bloom. I begin to shed tears, too, as I acknowledge that my life’s purpose as a NDM is coming to pass.

The car is finally loaded. DH thanks the park rangers that helped us with this arduous task and tips them generously. I climb into the passenger seat. DH takes to the driver’s side, and we both slam our doors in a way that only emphasizes the closure of our fantastic vacation.

As we pull out of the lodge parking lot, I ponder all the developments that took place during this short week. As a whole unit and as individuals, our family experienced incredible moments that brought about change and impacted us. DH is the first to come to my mind. He made extraordinary leaps in his personal Disney journey. There were moments when he displayed enthusiasm for Disney that I once thought were beyond his scope. I note that this is a true testament to the influence of a NDM and pixie dust power.

I consider that this same power was also exhibited in DD3. Being immersed in authentic Magic Kingdom® culture for the first time, this trip was the beginning of a fanatical Disney process that should continue throughout her years. Significant investments were—undoubtedly--made in her little life this week, and I fully expect to see great returns on that investment as I continue to nurture her fledgling obsession.

My meditative thoughts then turn to DS6. This past trip he made significant strides of his own. Although this was not his first time in Walt Disney World®, the addition of years to his life seemed to help him put all of his Disney knowledge into it’s proper context this time. It was a treasure to see him grasp Disney lore as well as participate in Disney events and make them his own! I cannot deny that these are critical steps that will one day lead him to a love of Disney that is independent of me but at the same time will serve as a strong reference to his identity as the son of a NDM.

Neither can I overlook the blatant progress in DD8’s life during the past week. It is obvious to me that being at Walt Disney World® somehow motivated her to leave behind a few cowardly inclinations and step into a braver temperment. But most importantly, I clearly see that her neurotic Disney personhood has reached maturation. She is the evidence that all my work as a NDM has not been in vain. The torch has been passed. A rich heritage of Disney neuroticism has effectively been transferred to the next generation.

These have all been amazing developments for our family. But in my internal analysis of this trip, I suppose the most dynamic transition of the week has been my own. Somehow within the course of our week in Walt Disney World® I have come to understand the true purpose of The Sacred Seven. It is obvious now that they are meant to function as guidelines rather than commandments. Their purpose is to ultimately position Disney in such a way that it enhances family relationships not to enslave a family so that it enhances Disney. This revelation has subtly become apparent and abruptly blind-sided me all at the same time. I am curious to see how I accommodate this new idea as our family prepares for our return to Walt Disney World® in a whole new chapter of our neurotic Disney story.

I consider that in the next year, there is so much to look forward to in the growth of our NDM family. The possibilities fill my mind, and I feel the excitement rise up within me. Somehow these notions make our departure a little less painful. “Good-bye, Disney,” I yell as I lean out my window and wave at the world around me. Then with the flair of a true mouseketeer I add, “See you real soon!”

Oh, this has been so good! I'm sad to see it end, but hopefully we can look forward to a report after each of your future trips. I will definitely check out your blog in the meantime! Thank you again for taking time to write this; it's been so much fun to read!

Oh, this has been so good! I'm sad to see it end, but hopefully we can look forward to a report after each of your future trips. I will definitely check out your blog in the meantime! Thank you again for taking time to write this; it's been so much fun to read!

Thank you! Yes, I hope we stay in touch in case I don't bump into you again in these large forums.

Hello again NDM#1! I finally had time to catch up! Loved your TR!! I also sent you an email to join your blog! We are preparing for our upcoming August trip! Not only are we going "home" we are celebrating the end of the grad school journey! What better place than WDW? We are also taking our friends! It will be there first trip and our first trip ever with a child so it's going to be interesting! They are quickly learning that hanging with a NDW...well...they will be tired, but they won't miss a thing!

I want to let you know that I love your report...and on this last installment, I actually cried like a baby. Yes, I'm totally serious...maybe it's the hormones from 3rd trimester or maybe not...

It's just that I totally can relate to that 'dread' of walking into your room for the last time and savoring the memories that were made. It's always sad for me...even though I know we'll do Disney again ...

So proud to hear the torch is passed...I aim to do the same with my DD3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter