Tropicana vs. Anaheim Plaza Hotel?

Purplegal

Mouseketeer
If you had to choose, which would you suggest? We booked Anaheim Plaza Hotel but DH got nervous looking at the pics of how old and run down it looks, so he wants to switch to Tropicana which IS closer to the parks. It is about $30 more per night though, plus higher parking fees, so I'm wondering if it's worth it?
Anyone that stayed at either of these have opinions?

Thanks!

I haven't stayed at both, but I have stayed at Tropicana three times, most recently on Saturday. Funnily enough, when I was booking, there were only two Harbor hotels close by that had availability - Tropicana and Anaheim Plaza... but the pictures on TripAdvisor of Anaheim Plaza scared me away too, so I went back to Tropicana!

My family and I always stay at Anaheim Plaza Hotel. It's not the greatest looking hotel but we don't spend much time at the hotel anyways. The price is fantastic especially since it's right across the street from Disneyland. If you plan on spending a lot of time in your hotel I suggest the Tropicana, but if not why not save some spending money for in the parks?? :thumbsup2 Good Luck!!

I have stayed at Tropicana and liked it well enough. It was clean and roomy enough for our family of 4. We liked how close we were to the park. I had a friend who stayed at Anaheim Plaza, and she says it is serviceable but old and not one of her first choices. I would choose the Tropicana.

If you don't mind rock hard beds, worn out bedding with cigarette burns in it, fluctuating shower pressure and temperature, paper thin towels with at least one bonus thick black maid's hair on it, filthy carpets, and gnats everywhere in the room..... The Anaheim Plaza is a fine choice. I personally have vacationed more comfortably in a tent (and I loathe camping). They do have a nice big clean pool, and the walk is very managable. I have not stayed at the Tropicana.

Happily, there are many who sing the praises for the Anaheim Plaza. I'm sure some people have a bad experience. That can happen at anyplace, I don't care where it is.

But you can't beat the price and location. And I've read lots of reviews both on here and elsewhere where folks have had great stays and have gone back many times.

If I'm given a room with worn out linens and bugs and all that, I'll move to a better one. I'll be checking the place out before unpacking to make sure it'll work for us.

We will stay at the API for the first time starting next week. I'll be sure and share my experience. I'm not the most picky guest, but I do want it clean and close to the parks.

We've stayed at the Tropicana before and would do so again (although we've switched to onsite hotels for our last three visits--yea!). The free continental breakfast is not impressive, but it was clean and close. We asked for a quiet room so they put us in the back corner, top floor which did the trick.

My family has stayed at both... Unfortunately we had an awful experience at the Trop and will not stay there again. The API is our new favorite hotel. Yes, it is nothing fancy, but for the price and the awesome pool you can't beat it!

Thank you everyone for your input, I appreciate it!

We have decided to compromise and stay at the Anaheim Plaza, but we called and upgraded our room for $30 to the "newer renovated" ones with better linens or some such nonsense...hey as long as it makes DH happy and I'm close to the park, we are good! :thumbsup2

Thank you everyone for your input, I appreciate it!

We have decided to compromise and stay at the Anaheim Plaza, but we called and upgraded our room for $30 to the "newer renovated" ones with better linens or some such nonsense...hey as long as it makes DH happy and I'm close to the park, we are good! :thumbsup2

$30 per night or for your whole stay?

Has anyone had both the standard and the upgrade? Is it worth it?

If you don't mind rock hard beds, worn out bedding with cigarette burns in it, fluctuating shower pressure and temperature, paper thin towels with at least one bonus thick black maid's hair on it, filthy carpets, and gnats everywhere in the room..... The Anaheim Plaza is a fine choice. I personally have vacationed more comfortably in a tent (and I loathe camping). They do have a nice big clean pool, and the walk is very managable. I have not stayed at the Tropicana.

Whoa, other then the fluctuating water temp (which I mention every time I review this hotel) I've never had any of the other problems you've mentioned. :(

OP I've stayed at both, to me they were comparable. Comparable in the sense that the beds were similar (to me, I didn't feel my beds at the API have ever been rock hard), the staff was similar (in attitude), the feel was similar. Both are older properties that could probably use a renovation but both are perfectly fine. To be 100% honest, if I had to chose between the 2 I would pick the API every time. We usually get a room rate of $69 per night. :)

Last weekend my 14 year old son went to a sleep over birthday party at a friend's house. The friend lives with his dad and new step mom. Around midnight my son texted me..OMG MOM "friends" step mom has turned their house into the Anaheim Plaza... Wait 'til you see my socks! (Dad had a housekeeper until he remarried) This from a kid that doesn't think he smells "that bad" after 3 1/2 hours of basket ball camp made me LOL.

The rooms with the upgraded linens are much nicer! FWIW We have spent 203 nights in hotels on Harbor since May '05. The only hotels we have not stayed in are Tropicana, Carousel, and Castle Inn. * Hotels on Harbor between HoJo and Castle Inn* My opinion of the Anaheim Plaza is based on the overall experiences we have had at the different hotels. :)

Last weekend my 14 year old son went to a sleep over birthday party at a friend's house. The friend lives with his dad and new step mom. Around midnight my son texted me..OMG MOM "friends" step mom has turned their house into the Anaheim Plaza... Wait 'til you see my socks! (Dad had a housekeeper until he remarried) This from a kid that doesn't think he smells "that bad" after 3 1/2 hours of basket ball camp made me LOL.

The rooms with the upgraded linens are much nicer! FWIW We have spent 203 nights in hotels on Harbor since May '05. The only hotels we have not stayed in are Tropicana, Carousel, and Castle Inn. * Hotels on Harbor between HoJo and Castle Inn* My opinion of the Anaheim Plaza is based on the overall experiences we have had at the different hotels. :)

which building(s) are the upgraded rooms in?

which building(s) are the upgraded rooms in?

I can not recall the building number, but the building sits off from the others... I believe it may back up to the Garden Walk. It's been over a year since we stayed there.

Nicer and whiter towles and linens. No nasty bed spreads. Nicer furnishings all around. Money well spent for the upgrade, IMHO

I just spoke with a girl at the Anaheim Plaza Inn and asked about the upgraded rooms. She said they are larger with the sink area outside the bathroom and have upgraded linens and furniture. It will be $15 more per night so yeah, might be worth it.

IMHO a hotel should have the same linens and same quality of furniture for all their rooms, but oh well....

She said these rooms are only in the 700 building and when I asked her if that was all the way in the back, she said no, not all the way. She said there is plenty of parking close to this building.

I also requested a microwave and she said she would note it and be sure to mention it again on check in.

So....looks like we're all set. I am SO excited. We will be down there in FOUR days! I will soak in every bit of magic I can since this will be our last Disney vacation for a few years. Next year we're shifting gears and going to Europe.....(hmm DLP perhaps???) ;)

I'll be sure a do a review on this place when we get back. Its always a little nervewracking when you go to a new place especially on Harbor. Never know what you'll get.

pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

We paid $10 more per night for the upgrade...I'll be anxious to hear reviews on it!
Thanks for the help everyone!

We paid $10 more per night for the upgrade...I'll be anxious to hear reviews on it!
Thanks for the help everyone!

Thanks, that's good to know. I'll ask them to match that. I think they probably will because I know others have had the parking fees waived and they waived them for us, too.

If not I won't be too disappointed. We are getting the room for $59 per night. plus the upgrade of course.

Thanks, that's good to know. I'll ask them to match that. I think they probably will because I know others have had the parking fees waived and they waived them for us, too.

If not I won't be too disappointed. We are getting the room for $59 per night. plus the upgrade of course.

Uh well I just asked husband again on price and he said "oh maybe it was $15 mOre per night.":rolleyes2 Sorry! You are getting a way better rate than us, we got it for $76 a night!

Uh well I just asked husband again on price and he said "oh maybe it was $15 mOre per night.":rolleyes2 Sorry! You are getting a way better rate than us, we got it for $76 a night!

I reserved it last July.

No problem, I'm happy with the costs. I'm getting so excited I can hardly stand myself! Just 3more days!!!!!

We leave Seattle tomorrow and arrive in Anaheim Tues at noon or so. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter