Tron Lightcycle Run coming to MK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet there has been no official statement from Disney that the construction has been halted. I think people are jumping to conclusions. Until Disney says something, I am going to believe that the work is still on-going.

The only thing we know for certain is that they covered up the hole where the coaster comes back into the building. Everything else seems to be pure speculation based on that one couple thousand dollar expense.

When I was there, there were still a lot of people working on that building. Just sayin'.

Yeah, Disney sure is working like gangbusters on that "mothballed" Tron coaster. My theory is they want the exterior work done before the summer rainy/ T storm season. Then they move the work inside, maybe not wanting to pay for as much labor all at once. I would be very surprised if it wasn't done by 2022, but hey COVID has changed so much in just a year.

It's not a sunk cost fallacy. I don't believe any rational person thinks that Disney would never finish the ride and just leave the building standing for the foreseeable future. There aren't "savings" to be had here by what they are doing. They're going to finish the ride and they will need to pay to finish it when they do. The only question is when they go ahead and finish the work. Some think it will be finished next year and others think that is years away. I believe they'll resume construction in the fall as long as the COVID situation doesn't take a turn for the worse.

no it will be more expensive in the long run, remember 7DMT was what $400 million, yes i wonder how they spent that much as well, but it will reduce the quarterly cash burn as well. Remember ‘easy payments’ are just as attractive to management teams as they are to households, Even though you may be doubling or tripling the cost of an item over time.

remember this IS the company that took 18 months to buiid a Gazebo in AK

Also I’d like to see new attractions at WDW, the blocker is the management who dont like being in the themed entertainment business. They want to be in the retail business

The ghost of Pressler is riding again at Disney. His most famous utterance was ‘The only thing that should be moving at a Disney park is a cash register drawer’ that line of thinking got people killed at Disneyland.

Last edited:
Yet there has been no official statement from Disney that the construction has been halted. I think people are jumping to conclusions. Until Disney says something, I am going to believe that the work is still on-going.
Disney never announces cancellations or long delays, they just quietly remove references to the project or the project’s completion date... Which is exactly what they have done here.

no it will be more expensive in the long run, remember 7DMT was what $400 million, yes i wonder how they spent that much as well, but it will reduce the quarterly cash burn as well. Remember ‘easy payments’ are just as attractive to management teams as they are to households, Even though you may be doubling or tripling the cost of an item over time.

remember this IS the company that took 18 months to buiid a Gazebo in AK

Also I’d like to see new attractions at WDW, the blocker is the management who dont like being in the themed entertainment business. They want to be in the retail business

The ghost of Pressler is riding again at Disney. His most famous utterance was ‘The only thing that should be moving at a Disney park is a cash register drawer’ that line of thinking got people killed at Disneyland.
I didn’t say it wouldn’t be more expensive in the long run.

I think you’re making some very cynical assumptions about Disney management and their motivations for delaying this construction.

I didn’t say it wouldn’t be more expensive in the long run.

I think you’re making some very cynical assumptions about Disney management and their motivations for delaying this construction.

You are absolutely correct I’m extremely cynical about Disney management with respect to the parks they own.

More broadly I’m cynical about the American style of management where finance is everything. Compare and contrast that with European or Asian management.

Heck Mitsukoshi in EPCOT is part of a company almost 400 years old. Thyssen-Krupp go back about 250 years.

The difference being that in Europe and Asia they manage the Business. In American companies they manage the stock price even if whats bad for the business operations is good for the stock price.

You are absolutely correct I’m extremely cynical about Disney management with respect to the parks they own.

More broadly I’m cynical about the American style of management where finance is everything. Compare and contrast that with European or Asian management.

Heck Mitsukoshi in EPCOT is part of a company almost 400 years old. Thyssen-Krupp go back about 250 years.

The difference being that in Europe and Asia they manage the Business. In American companies they manage the stock price even if whats bad for the business operations is good for the stock price.

The overall intent of the modern day CEO is short term profit. At the end of the day your legacy only matters to you if you have higher aspirations and in the circle of ceo friends, even your legacy doesnt matter much when it comes to getting another job in the circle.

Yeah, Disney sure is working like gangbusters on that "mothballed" Tron coaster. My theory is they want the exterior work done before the summer rainy/ T storm season. Then they move the work inside, maybe not wanting to pay for as much labor all at once. I would be very surprised if it wasn't done by 2022, but hey COVID has changed so much in just a year.
100% agree with your rainy season observation. I work in residential construction, not industrial, but...

Sealing construction almost never means moth balling in my industry. It is common practice to get a project to a point where you can seal it before either a rainy or winter season hits. If you have a skeleton crew, you work like crazy to finish the exterior during good weather, then move inside to complete interior when the weather gets bad. Sealing a transitional indoor / outdoor entrance during construction is common practice in order to protect your electricians, plumbers, metal workers and painters from the elements while they work. Work does not need to be shut down due to inclement weather in this scenario. Once the interior is complete, the seal is removed from the transitional entrance.

I would guess that this is the case with Tron. They aren't mothballing. They are simply working with a smaller crew that can't complete both sections simultaneously. I'd say the exterior will be complete by the end of spring, at which time they'll move inside to work during the rainy / hurricane season.

Sealing a transitional indoor / outdoor entrance during construction is common practice in order to protect your electricians, plumbers, metal workers and painters from the elements while they work. Work does not need to be shut down due to inclement weather in this scenario. Once the interior is complete, the seal is removed from the transitional entrance.

Sorry - that there is rational thought. It has no place in these forums.

The overall intent of the modern day CEO is short term profit. At the end of the day your legacy only matters to you if you have higher aspirations and in the circle of ceo friends, even your legacy doesnt matter much when it comes to getting another job in the circle.

in the rest of the world being a successful ceo means that you have positioned your company future long term success.

when i visit non-us laboratories i notice they are better equipped and staffed than the ones in the United States.

What also matters is meeting whatever benchmarks the board put in place to get your bonuses.

100% agree with your rainy season observation. I work in residential construction, not industrial, but...

Sealing construction almost never means moth balling in my industry. It is common practice to get a project to a point where you can seal it before either a rainy or winter season hits. If you have a skeleton crew, you work like crazy to finish the exterior during good weather, then move inside to complete interior when the weather gets bad. Sealing a transitional indoor / outdoor entrance during construction is common practice in order to protect your electricians, plumbers, metal workers and painters from the elements while they work. Work does not need to be shut down due to inclement weather in this scenario. Once the interior is complete, the seal is removed from the transitional entrance.

I would guess that this is the case with Tron. They aren't mothballing. They are simply working with a smaller crew that can't complete both sections simultaneously. I'd say the exterior will be complete by the end of spring, at which time they'll move inside to work during the rainy / hurricane season.

small problem with your assertion in Florida we have a tropical climate so weather protection and rain and wind proofing are table stakes in any non trivial construction project in Florida. Sealing freezes construction, However some things like steel structures require completion or demolition in this case it looks like the economics dictate completion. Wiring conduits and raceways need to be sealed to prevent water ingress and or critters taking up residence.

small problem with your assertion in Florida we have a tropical climate so weather protection and rain and wind proofing are table stakes in any non trivial construction project in Florida. Sealing freezes construction, However some things like steel structures require completion or demolition in this case it looks like the economics dictate completion. Wiring conduits and raceways need to be sealed to prevent water ingress and or critters taking up residence.
I think you're making a lot of assumptions from a couple pictures.

I think you're making a lot of assumptions from a couple pictures.

Yes possibly but as someone who has spent much of their career fixing screwups in some of the biggest American corporations many due entirely to penny pinching.

Many of the posters here are allowing their desire for a new attraction to blind them to the cancer that is financilization to which disney has fallen victim to.

Bloomberg did a study in which 2/3 of American executives would decline a business opportunity which would double profits in 2 years if it caused stock prices to decline for ONE quarter!!!! Talk about misplaced priorities and why European and Asian conglomerates are eating our lunch and buying up American companies and jettisoning their management.

we saw one of the first examples in 2008 when the space mountain rebuild was scrapped, down I-4 Potter was under construction, now Disney seals TRON and possibly the WDRR for an indefinite time whilst down I-4 construction has restarted withh a vengeance. Vs cupcakes and projection shows.

Shows that one company cares about their BUSINESS going forward and one cares only about the short term share price. What happens to Disney parks when the inertia runs down finally as it will

I just read that interior construction has resumed on TRON (sorry, can't link it). They were seen bringing in set-peices through an interior door. So much for a multi-year delay!

I'm happy that work continues on this project. I kind of like the TRON Coaster's look and the ride vehicle, assuming it will be similar to the Shanghai version. The lights, the cycles, the energy and vibe. I'm a User, so that means I'm a sucker for all things TRON. I was hoping that WD Company would hire Daft Punk to write some music for the queue. They've disbanded so I don't think that's in the cards.

I'm happy that work continues on this project. I kind of like the TRON Coaster's look and the ride vehicle, assuming it will be similar to the Shanghai version. The lights, the cycles, the energy and vibe. I'm a User, so that means I'm a sucker for all things TRON. I was hoping that WD Company would hire Daft Punk to write some music for the queue. They've disbanded so I don't think that's in the cards.

It should be 100% identical to the Shanghai version.

Apparently they may have been moving some props out of the building too, so who knows that that means. The site I read said they were moving things IN, but that is the site that shall not be linked, so....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter