trip with visually impaired child

Smokeyjinxie

Earning My Ears
I am helping my friend plan her first trip to Disney World. She has a legally blind (low vision) 6 year old daughter who loves Disney princesses. This child also has sensory integration disorder and is developmentally younger than her age (but not cognitively impaired). I am looking for any tips to help them have a great Disney experience.

Are there any accommodations for legally blind guests?

Here is a link to WDW's page for guests with vision disabilities. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/visual-disability-services/

They offer audio descriptive devices, basically free with a refundable deposit. I believe it's headphones and only certain attractions utilize the system. I don't have personal experience with it, and wonder whether a child that young is better off just with mom/dad/adult giving description of the situation. But it might be worth checking out.

As for the sensory issues, it really depends on how she is impacted. Many people utilize a stroller-as-wheelchair tag to give the child a "safe haven," sort of a buffer from other people and all the stimulation. Here is a link to the Guide for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities; I know you said she isn't cognitively delayed, but there may be some good suggestions here -- quiet areas to get away, etc. https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me...disabilities-services/wdw_cognitive_guide.pdf
(This is a large file...I have found it jams up my computer to try and open within the website but if you right-click and "save target as" to put it on your desktop it's easier to view.)

My suggestion is to take it slow. Don't try to do everything. Take breaks throughout the day, even if that means going back to the resort for a rest or swim. Try to stick as close to a "regular" daily schedule as possible (waking, meals, bedtime). I'm not sure if there are other kids in the family but if so, they may want/need to split up at times if this little girl needs a break from the stimulation but the others want to keep going. If going for a long enough time, they might like to plan a "non-park" day to hang out at the resort and/or do other non-park stuff (resort hop, ride different modes of transportation, Downtown Disney, water parks, etc.).

I am helping my friend plan her first trip to Disney World. She has a legally blind (low vision) 6 year old daughter who loves Disney princesses. This child also has sensory integration disorder and is developmentally younger than her age (but not cognitively impaired). I am looking for any tips to help them have a great Disney experience.

Are there any accommodations for legally blind guests?

I would say that the parents will probably do whatever they do at home for their child. There won't be much that disney will be able to do for accommodations for her vision issues. For seating in shows, apparently you are meant now to just mention it to the CM before you're seated. Not sure how that works. For any other issues, I"d refer the parents to the guide for people with disabilities . https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/m...gdom-guide-guest-disability-november-2012.pdf

I'd suggest she use a small flashlight in lines if the transition from outside to inside darkness is hard for her to handle (just take it away when on a ride ;) )

I have a blind child who just turned 3 this week. She also has other issues. Our last trip was in Sept/Oct for two weeks. We did use a stroller in part to help her feel "safe"; also as she can not yet walk. I kept a blanket with me to "hide" her if needed. We also kept her ipad with her at all times to help tune out the outside noises. Her hearing is very sensitive. We found it helpful to wait in the lines for characters while she waited outside of the line with another adult when possible. This cut done on her fear of the crowds. Our biggest issues with her blindness was in lines that were inside a room, an example of this was the Little Mermaid ride in Hollywood Studios, as the room got more crowded she screamed. Table service restaurants were also an issue. We found if we got a seat were she was placed against a wall things went better. She does have a problem with people behind her. Don't forget that it never hurts to ask for what you need. This trip (we go yearly), I called ahead to the disability line and they were able to honor my request that characters sign their names with puffy paint on card stock. They had me drop the stuff off at customer relations in Magic Kingdom, and pick up a few days later. This way she was able to "see" their names. If you let the CM's with the characters know that the child is blind, they most often will allow the child to "see" them with their hands. Belle is her favorite, and we make it a "must do" to dine with her. Belle's interaction with her is one of my fondest memories of both of the Disney trips I have taken her on. As I have been to Disney a few times before taking her, I also tried to explain each ride and show to her before and during. Some of the effects can be scary if you can not see what is coming. Every child is different, so they will have to see what works for them and their child. Remember to be patient and take it slow, we always take a break in the afternoon so that she could have some quite time. Hope this helps some.

My wife is legally blind and we went with our DD8 and DS4 in early November last year, about a month after the new program was unveiled.

Our greatest complaint was the one we anticipated before we arrived. With the GAC, my wife only had to explain her needs one time, when she initially received the card. Since the DAS doesn't provide for visual impairment, we were put in a position of having to repeatedly explain her needs to multiple people. Because of a lack of experience, people are often baffled by someone who is legally blind but who can still see, if extremely limited.

The number one thing to do is to be polite and friendly. Before we left, we read here about all the training that CMs received and that may have been true for the DAS, but for disabilities that don't require the DAS, it was pretty clear no training was provided. Fortunately, the CMs were all wonderful and willing to provide assistance, even if that assistance was to pass us along to the next CM in line.

A few examples. We went to FOTLK at AK and asked for visually impaired seating near the front. We were asked if we had a DAS card. We had to explain they weren't given for visual disabilities, which the CM didn't know. When we got inside, they weren't sure where to seat us. We were moved several times, mostly because they kept putting us in seats meant for wheelchair companions (which are great seats, but it's not fair to take them when we don't have a wheelchair). We eventually ended in the front row, right behind wheelchair seating and had a great experience.

Similar issue at Fantasmic. They expected us to have a DAS card. When we didn't we were told to enter and talk with the person near the entrance with the red light. No further explanation. First, telling someone legally blind to look for a light is a problem in-and-of itself. Second, not telling them where to look besides "go that way" is a needle in a haystack proposition. Third, the description could have just as easily been "see the cast member with the long, bright flashlights." Then it would have been easier. Anyway, not knowing how far down to go, we had to ask 3-4 more people until we found a CM who knew what we were talking about. From there, we got seats with no problem.

I assume now, 3+ months in, that some of those kinks have been worked out. I wouldn't be surprised if there were others.

I have not been to Disney (and I use to go faithfully :() since they have started the Das system. Am I reading this thread correctly, do they not give the card for visual impairment anymore? We have to just explain at each attraction? :confused3 Or am I reading this thread wrong?

I have not been to Disney (and I use to go faithfully :() since they have started the Das system. Am I reading this thread correctly, do they not give the card for visual impairment anymore? We have to just explain at each attraction? :confused3 Or am I reading this thread wrong?
what we know is this: The DAS is not given for a specific impairment or illness. (nor the GAC prior) It's given based on need alone. The new DAS is meant for one purpose, to allow people who cannot wait in a physical queue the option to wait somewhere else for the same length of time.

If that accommodation fits your need then you will get a DAS. If a person's only need is visual accommodates that have nothing to do with queues waits, then they don't need a DAS, they simply state their need at each attraction or show.

If a person's only need is visual accommodates that have nothing to do with queues waits, then they don't need a DAS, they simply state their need at each attraction or show.

If there was a training system in place, then that would be fine. Unfortunately, that isn't the case (or wasn't two months ago). Having to explain and justify a visual disability to multiple people at every attraction is frustrating and inappropriate. That isn't acceptable for other disabilities, why should it be this? How much outrage would there be if a person in a wheelchair had to explain why they didn't just get up and walk every time there was a line? This is the same thing.

It's doubly frustrated when the first question by a CM is always, "Do you have a DAS card?"

Fortunately, the number of attractions where special seating is needed is relatively low and we travel at slower times of year.

If there was a training system in place, then that would be fine. Unfortunately, that isn't the case (or wasn't two months ago). Having to explain and justify a visual disability to multiple people at every attraction is frustrating and inappropriate. That isn't acceptable for other disabilities, why should it be this? How much outrage would there be if a person in a wheelchair had to explain why they didn't just get up and walk every time there was a line? This is the same thing.

It's doubly frustrated when the first question by a CM is always, "Do you have a DAS card?"

Fortunately, the number of attractions where special seating is needed is relatively low and we travel at slower times of year.

oh I'm not disagreeing. I think it's a terrible process that relies on too many different people all knowing what they're supposed to do. There should still be a system in place that allows you go get a stamped card (not a DAS) at guest services that can be handed out at each attraction which clearly states the need. It would have nothing to do with lines and wait times, it would only have to do with visual impairments / hearing impairments.

... That isn't acceptable for other disabilities, why should it be this? How much outrage would there be if a person in a wheelchair had to explain why they didn't just get up and walk every time there was a line? This is the same thing. ...

No one disability is going to be totally and completely "equal" to another or the non-disabled. Everybody's needs vary, every situation can be different. Those of us who live with disabilites (ours or a loved ones) day-in and day-out, realize this is life.

At WDW:
People with vision disabilities are frustrated they have to tell multiple CMs what their needs are.
People in wheelchairs are asked constantly about ability to transfer and annoyed with the to wait for accessible ride vehicles.
People with hearing disabilities get locked into only certain attractions at certain times in order to utilize an interpreter -- or speaking to multiple CMs about appropriate seating to read lips.
People with cognitive disabilities feel singled out and looked upon as fakers.
People with food allergies or sensitivities worry about airborne or touch reactions even if they don't eat the food; they may wait longer than other parties for their food in order to discuss appropriate options.
The list goes on...

I'm not saying any of this is necessarily right or wrong, just pointing out that basically every disability has some level of frustation/annoyance/impedence involved to obtain the necessary accommocations. So let's not turn this into a "which is worse" thread.

No one disability is going to be totally and completely "equal" to another or the non-disabled. Everybody's needs vary, every situation can be different. Those of us who live with disabilites (ours or a loved ones) day-in and day-out, realize this is life. At WDW: People with vision disabilities are frustrated they have to tell multiple CMs what their needs are. People in wheelchairs are asked constantly about ability to transfer and annoyed with the to wait for accessible ride vehicles. People with hearing disabilities get locked into only certain attractions at certain times in order to utilize an interpreter -- or speaking to multiple CMs about appropriate seating to read lips. People with cognitive disabilities feel singled out and looked upon as fakers. People with food allergies or sensitivities worry about airborne or touch reactions even if they don't eat the food; they may wait longer than other parties for their food in order to discuss appropriate options. The list goes on... I'm not saying any of this is necessarily right or wrong, just pointing out that basically every disability has some level of frustation/annoyance/impedence involved to obtain the necessary accommocations. So let's not turn this into a "which is worse" thread.

I'm not trying to say that in any manner. Every disability has it's own unique issues, even among those with that specific disability.

I do think, however, that there's a significant difference between "I understand your disability, how can I help accommodate in the best way possible, even if it's not ideal," and "You've been told I was trained but I wasn't, let me pass you along to someone else until you reach someone who has the authority to answer your question."

That's frustrating whether you're dealing with a disability or a general customer service issue.

I give Disney a lot of credit, they have procedures in place that default to a positive outcome when there are unknown variables. The CMs my family dealt with weren't aware of their own procedures, but they still provided a positive experience. That's far better than most other companies.

That doesn't mean people should not be honest or not discuss their personal experiences to help those trying to prepare for similar situations. The only way the system improves, for everyone, is by respectful discussion toward to goal of improvements for all, even those who don't need it

I'm not trying to say that in any manner. Every disability has it's own unique issues, even among those with that specific disability.

I do think, however, that there's a significant difference between "I understand your disability, how can I help accommodate in the best way possible, even if it's not ideal," and "You've been told I was trained but I wasn't, let me pass you along to someone else until you reach someone who has the authority to answer your question."

That's frustrating whether you're dealing with a disability or a general customer service issue.

I give Disney a lot of credit, they have procedures in place that default to a positive outcome when there are unknown variables. The CMs my family dealt with weren't aware of their own procedures, but they still provided a positive experience. That's far better than most other companies.

That doesn't mean people should not be honest or not discuss their personal experiences to help those trying to prepare for similar situations. The only way the system improves, for everyone, is by respectful discussion toward to goal of improvements for all, even those who don't need it

I completely agree with both your posts, we don't deal with a vision disability but I was mortified to read and realise what disney wants guests with vision issues to do at each ride,
And was behind somebody on 2 separate show Qs where the CM asked them for their DAS card and then passed them on and on when no one knew what to do!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter