• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip to Germany with Daughter who will Turn 10

BAYSIDE MOM

Mouseketeer
We are very much looking forward to our ABD trip to Germany in August. We are coming in one day early to avoid jet lag. I would love to hear from other families who have made this journey with children of this age and get their opinions about the highlights, or what to avoid, food, weather, entertainment etc! Any tips would be truly appreciated! We are so excited! She will also be celebrating her 10th birthday while we are traveling. Thanks for any input!:yay:

Please post a trip report when you get back.

We are waiting for prices for 2010 to do the same trip with our son.

It sounds like an amazing trip

Kim

We are also waiting for 2010. We will have 3 girls and a boy ages 11, 9, 9, and 8. We would love to hear what you think about this trip for both boys and girls. From what I have read, Disney does a great job on this trip of making it exciting for both.

Chad

We took the trip at the end of June last summer with our then 10 year old daughter. This was a second ABD trip for us after having done Knights and Lights the summer before. Overall, the trip was fantastic.

First of all, make sure the Disney people know you have a birthday. They will make it special. Getting in a day early is good but try not to sleep during the day to get adjusted to the time zone. This trip has a lot of hotel changes so it helps to pack in a way that minimizes emptying and repacking each time.

I won't spoil the disney agenda but there will be lots of things to do on your own. Your extra day can be spent leisurely walking the Old Town in Heidelburg. Check out the Hauptstrasse for shops and restaurants.

Plan on eating a lot of schnitzel but we had no problems keeping our finicky eater happy. Be sure to try some strudel at some point.

Kid stuff abounds and lots of special surprises that I can't reveal. You will stay at a real castle in Trendleburg. The activities include archery and bike riding. It was a big family day. Make sure everyone is up on their bike riding skills. The Steiff factory was also a big hit. Shopping in Rothenburg was very cool. This is the best place to buy your German souvenirs. One shop keeper (written up in Rick Steve's Guides) was extremely kind to our daughter. The shop is Anneliese Friese.

Bring activities for down time on the bus trips (books, gameboy, etc.) Munich was fun all around. Bring a bathing suit as all the kids hit the pool during the Munich stop.

All in all, the itinerary was heavy with castles, princesses and fairy tales. The guides do a wonderful job of keeping every child engaged and happy giving the adults a chance to enjoy themselves too. You won't be disappointed.

Have fun.

We also took the Germany trip last summer. It was our 3rd ABD. Our kids were 10, 11 and 14 then. Ww came in a day before too. The hardest part is to not go to sleep that first day until a real bedtime. That will put you right on track. The kids napped in the car from the airport to the hotel. We spent the first day exploring and we walked up the philosophers way. (bring a bottle of water). The hotel in Heidelberg has a pool and we took a dip right around 6 pm. That seemed to revive everyone. Then we went out to dinner and went to sleep around 9 pm. It's a great trip with lots to do and a good amount of free time. Our kids made friends with the rest of the kids on the trip almost instantly. they all sat together on the bus and exchanged ipods and such. Have a great time.

We are very much looking forward to our ABD trip to Germany in August. We are coming in one day early to avoid jet lag. I would love to hear from other families who have made this journey with children of this age and get their opinions about the highlights, or what to avoid, food, weather, entertainment etc! Any tips would be truly appreciated! We are so excited! She will also be celebrating her 10th birthday while we are traveling. Thanks for any input!:yay:

We are also going in August. What are your trip dates?

Thank you so much for all your replies! Haven't been on line for a while due to computer issues:badpc: Amy H, we are going on the 8/21 trip. Can't wait!

The Germany trip sounds great--so we decided to go for it! (DD will be 9, DS will be 16). Anyone else for that time of year? We are also looking at an add on night before and after--any suggestions? (For example--is it a do-able day trip to take the train from Munich to Salzburg?)

Did you cancel your South Africa trip? My mom and I are taking the Germany ABD before the July 6 South Africa ABD. Anyone else booked for the June 26th Germany ABD?

We did decide to postpone SA until summer of 2011, since getting there is quite an adventure (we would have to fly from San Diego to London and then down to SA--and right now that would absorb too much time and money)--while flights to Germany are cheaper and easier. Plus in the summer we can add more time in England and break up the trip/flights etc. I was bummed a bit, but frankly the Germany trip sounds great!

The Germany trip sounds great--so we decided to go for it! (DD will be 9, DS will be 16). Anyone else for that time of year? We are also looking at an add on night before and after--any suggestions? (For example--is it a do-able day trip to take the train from Munich to Salzburg?)

We day tripped from just south of Munich to Salzburg when DD was 6. We drove, though (or rather, rode in the car with a friend who lived there.) It was very doable, though a loooong day. Train would probably cut some time.

We went in March and most of the town was closed down for the winter. For example, there was only one restaurant open :confused3 They said they just don't serve people on the off season. I don't know if it would be better around Christmas?

The castle was still open, and of course we skipped across the Sound of Music bridge :rolleyes: There were also shops open, selling the famous painted Easter eggs (this was a week before Easter).

It was very, very, really very, cold.

Munich itself was amazing and worth way more than a day.

Train would probably cut some time.

It is 90 minutes on the ICE from Hbf to Hbf; I can drive in less than that time. And not all trains are ICE so most take 1,45hrs or almot 2 hours. Plus one then needs to walk or bus from Hbf so taking a train is longer than driving unless one hits a very long tailback. But even during the summer holiday on a peak travel day with construction I can make the drive in an hour.

We went in March and most of the town was closed down for the winter. For example, there was only one restaurant open They said they just don't serve people on the off season. I don't know if it would be better around Christmas?
I am confused. Are you talking about Salzburg or somewhere else? Salzburg is a city of more than 200,000 people and there is certainly more than one restaurant open at any given time. We do conduct business and go about our daily lives throughout the year, not just during tourist times, just like any other midsized city around the world.

We took a couple of days and went to Salzburg from Munich. It's only about 90 miles away by car and a straight shot on the autobahn which means about an hour or so. There are things to see along the way too, such as the Eagles Nest which aside from the history has the most incredible top of the Alps views that you could imagine. if you have any affinity with the "Sound of Music" it's worth doing the tour to see the various movie locations. It's a bit cheezy but a lot of fun. There is also Alpine lake country nearby with many small towns worth exploring. If you decide to go I can give you a couple of tips about making the drive.

Salzburg is lovely (and had plenty of restaurants open when I've been - July and February). Lots to do - especially if you enjoy the Sound of Music and/or Mozart.

Both times I went we were staying in Vienna, so I'm not sure of the length of the trip from Munich.

Salzburg is lovely (and had plenty of restaurants open when I've been - July and February).

It does make me wonder just where I've been eating for the last several decades :rolleyes1

I read the comment from Bayside mom and just wanted to say that my family is going on the Germany ABD trip on Aug 21st too. My daughter is also 10:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter