Trip Report: II Exchange to Marriott's Manor Club at Ford's Colony

tiffany123

Mouseketeer
We just returned from 7 night stay at Marriott's Manor Club in Williamsburg, VA. Trip included just DH and myself. It was our first time to Williamsburg and the surrounding areas.

We requested our exchange in fall, 2004 and received immediate confirmation at the time of our original call. We requested a 1 BR unit and it "cost" us 160 points and a $75 exchange fee. We have stayed at every DVC resort and this exchange was equivalent or better than any DVC resort. The resort is located at Ford's Colony which is a golf course community---some of the units face one of the courses.

The resort is compact so no one unit is too far from the main check-in. All the buildings are either two or three stories---no high rise buildings. At the main check-in building there is a City Market which is similar to the shop you would find at a DVC resort except that in addition to sundries and food items, it has a Pizza Hut, Ben and Jerry's and a grill for take-out sandwiches, wraps, etc. There are two outdoor pools and an indoor pool. Playgrounds for the kids. In addition there are tennis courts, biking and jogging paths, a complete activities center, arcade, large room which has a big screen projection screen for movie nights, fitness room, luxury spa, etc.

The list of activities for the week included things for all ages. There were options for day trips to Washington DC and also to the Newport News/Norfolk area. We took the day trip to DC and it was well worth the money ($90 per adult). We left the resort at 6:30 AM and returned "home" at 10:30 PM. We had an excellent guide and bus driver. Saw many of the well-known tourist attractions and had excellent narration throughout the trip. Had a few hours on our own at the Smithsonian. The tour included breakfast and dinner. We felt it was a great way to see a lot quickly without having to deal with DC traffic and congestion.

Now about the condo unit: Ours was a 1 BR in the Sequel section of the resort. Ample parking close to the building and elevator access in all buildings. The units are as large or larger than the 1 BR at OKW. Kitchen has hardwood floors and all the latest appliances including side by side refrigerator with ice maker and smooth top range. Full size front loading washer and companion dryer in a room off of the kitchen.

The main living area has a counter with two stools dividing it from the kitchen. There is a glass topped dining table with seating for 6 next to the counter area. The rest of the main living area has a sleeper sofa, two chairs, coffee table and 2 end tables. There is a gas fireplace and a 36" TV with DVD in the recess above the fireplace. Off the living area is a screened balcony with 2 chairs and a small table. There is also entry onto the patio through sliding glass doors off the master bedroom----again with screens so you can leave thedoors open without inviting insects. The windows in the main living area also open and are screened.

The master bedroom has a king bed, large closet, 27" TV and is next to a divided bathroom. One section of the bathroom has a double jacuzzi tub and sink, the other has a toilet, sink and shower. Tiled floors in the bath areas.

The decor is warm, rich colonial colors with brocade window coverings and bedding. Lots of toss pillows and gorgeous silk floral arrangements in the living area.

Each of the units has FREE wireless high speed internet!

This was our first DVC exchange and we were very pleased with it. It was our first trip to Williamsburg and we found plenty to do. There are excellent restaurants nearby, groceries with reasonable prices and the traffic patterns are easy to learn. We hope to return to Manor Club someday.

Any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer.

Tiffany

It sounds like a great trip. I'm glad you had a good time and that the accommodations met your expectations. (I totally agree that that $90 tour was worth the money considering how long it was and that you got meals.)

We are going to Williamsburg in a few weeks (staying at King's Creek Plantation). Are there things to do in the area that are relatively inexpensive? What else is there to do besides day trips? Do you know how far Newport News is - we have a car so we might drive that if it's not too far. I'd love to hear more about your week.

Your report couldn't have come at a better time. We're going to Ford's Colony in a couple of weeks, and also staying in a 1-bedroom. We're particularly looking forward to Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens. Did you visit either? Do you have any recommendations? How about restaurant recommendations? We're all ears!

rocketriter said:
Your report couldn't have come at a better time. We're going to Ford's Colony in a couple of weeks, and also staying in a 1-bedroom. We're particularly looking forward to Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens. Did you visit either? Do you have any recommendations? How about restaurant recommendations? We're all ears!

There is a DISser on the board, CatWub, who is from Virginia Beach...she might be able to give you some ideas. I actually met her on a trip to Norfolk in March for my great-nephew's baptism. We were eating at a place my sister suggested from when she lived there years ago...it's called Captain George's. It's a seafood buffet...I think it cost about $25/person...had crab legs on the buffet. It was good and you could surely get your fill. There are 3 locations...one near Williamsburg, one on Virginia Beach, and one in Norfolk.

If you go into Colonial Williamsburg, there is a good place to eat on the main street...I forget the exact name, but it's something like The Royal Tavern...it's one of the few sit downs there. Dsis, Dniece, DS and I ate there during our visit, and we were pleases both with the food...large portions...and the taste. The price was reasonable. DS ate the fried chicken, I had the cheeseburger with excellent cheddar and a thin slice of Viriginia baked ham...similar taste to a bacon cheeseburger. We split our choices so we could taste it all and were pleased. Dniece ordered the chicken pot pie...the crust was very flaky and the pie was full of chunks of chicken and veggies...Dniece (who's somewhat of a picky eater) didn't care for it so Dsis ate it instead of what she ordered. We both identifed an unusual spice in the pot pie, that we are pretty sure was oregano. Everything was very filling!

Also, at Colonial Williamsburg, they have packages which allow you access to different attractions there. If you just want to walk around and see the sights without going inside some of the things you can get by pretty inexpensively.

Another place you might consider, which isn't too pricey is the Jamestown village. It is chocked full of history as is much of the area there. Do a search online for Jamestown, Yorktown and Williamsburg and you will find tons.

My nephew, who lives in Norfolk says the Busch Gardens is one of the best parks he's been to...his family had season passes when he was a kid.

Have a great trip!

Thanks for your report. Two years ago, when we were timeshare shopping, we came within an inch of choosing Ford's Colony over DVC. Looking back, I think we made the right decision...but a visit to Ford's is definitely in our future.

Thank you for the very detailed report! We go to Williamsburg often, but since we live relatively nearby, are not really interested in a full week visit. Ford's Colony sounds like a great place.

Anyone going to Williamsburg may want to check the Busch Gardens web site for a number of package tickets that cover several attractions. If you are a AAA member, you can get get some of these combined tickets at a discount. We love Busch Gardens, and also love Water Country USA. Water country is a great water park, and has an attraction called the "Hubba Hubba Highway" that is so much fun!! LAZY river, this is not!

I found the fee for Jamestown very, very reasonable. It is a national park.

I didn't go in the museum before the park. that was an extra charge.

We did explore the museum in the park - no charge.

also the archaelogists were there and explaining what they have found.

I found Col williamburg not as wheelchair friendly when you do their tour.

You can visit here for free. You can't do their tours or visit some of the houses without a ticket. but alot of it is free.

busch gardens also was - very, very unfriendly to wheelchair. Lots of hills. Mother won't use one of those electric ones - so our stay here was short.

I will probably return - but without mother or anyone needing a wheelchair.

oh if you have a pet. both Jamestown and Col Williamsburg are pet friendly.
they can't go in any of the building. but they can definitely enjoy the tmosphere with you. Spicey probably got in more pictures than he ever did in Orlando. I have several people come up and ask if he could have his picture taken. :earseek: others were snapping pictures at him as he walked along.

Thanks for your report. Williamsburg is one of the places DH has wanted to visit and it's good to know this was a good trade.

Barb45, Rocketriter and anyone else interested:

Be sure to ask for any discounts when touring the historical area of Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown or any other site for that matter. All three of the above mentioned cities honored AAA and Williamsburg has a terrific offer if you can prove you are an educator----50% off. We purchased 2 day passes to historical Williamsburg which automatically include a 3rd day for free. They would have been $96 for the two of us and we were charged $48. All you need is proof of employment---we used our NEA/OEA cards.

As far as Jamestown and Yorktown are concerned, there are two sites for each historical area. One is run by the state of Virginia and the other by the National Park Service. We went to the ones run by the state of Virginia and the combined ticket cost for both Yorktown and Jamestown was $17 per adult but we paid $15.30 per adult with our AAA discount. It took us much of the day to tour both Jamestown and Yorktown and we could have stayed even longer but it was very hot. The National Park Service sites are $10 per person (for both sites) but we felt there was more to see at the state run sites especially Jamestown as the colony has been recreated by the state and has tours and costumed interpreters----the three sailing ships have been reconstructed as has a Powhatan village, the fort and the riverfront discovery area. Your admission to both Jamestown and Yorktown includes a short movie and guided tour. The tour at Jamestown takes about 90 minutes and is well worth it. Jamestown is gearing up for it's 400th anniversary in 2007 and there is a huge new visitors center than includes artifacts and a gallery of things discovered at the original Jamestown colony---which is on an island off of the coast.

We didn't go to Busch Gardens so I can't help there.

There are lots of places to eat and traffic is manageable once you learn your way around. Two of our favorites were J M Randall's at the corner of Longhill and Old Towne Road---about a mile and a half from Ford's Colony. It's a restaurant/tavern combo with live music nightly from around 9 PM or so. Jazz and blues most nights. Kids are welcome and there is a kids menu. The other place we really liked was The Library Tavern on Richmond Road---nearer to historical Williamsburg and William and Mary. Great pizza and subs.

The College of William and Mary lies adjacent to historical Williamsburg and it is the second oldest college in the USA. Walking tours are available plus you can drive around the campus on your own.

Anyone driving to VA via Charlottesville should consider taking the time to tour Monticello----the estate is beautiful and the tours are very well done.

Tiffany

Barb45,

Newport News isn't far from where you'll be staying at all. Probably less than a 30 minute drive. We were at Newport News when visiting Yorktown and the drive from historical Williamsburg to Yorktown took about 20 minutes. You can inquire at the visitor's center at historical Williamsburg about a free shuttle to Virginia Beach also. We didn't go but were told by our Washington, DC guide that passes for the shuttle are offered at the visitor's center daily at 8 AM on a first come first served basis. We were told by several that traffic around Norfolk and Virginia Beach is awful especially on weekends but we had no problems in the historical triangle area.

Tiffany

Great report! We drove by there last year when we went for a 3 day trip to COlonial Williamsburg. We live about 1.5-2 hours north of Williamsburg. ANd we are going to Busch Gardens and Water Country USA next weekend, but we didn't do the exchange. I wondered about it though. I know it looks really nice. I am glad to see there are things to do and it's not that far from VA Beach either. We're an hour south of DC (and DH works up that way)so we would head in the opposite direction! So when we need a break from the car trip to FL it's nice to know that Ford's Colony is just as nice. Thanks again!

BTW, Busch Gardens and Water Country are great parks. They do have a kennel at the park for $4/day. Colonial Williamsburg..bought the tickets to go in the buildings and DH and DD (9) went into 2. We had a stroller for our other DD (1 at the time) and couldn't take the stroller in. There are several nice restaurants and a really good sandwich/gourmet market shop in Col. Williamsburg. The guy who wrote the book Death by Chocolate (has a show on TV as well) I think his name is Marcel Desaulneirs. He owns a restaurant there as well. It's called Trellis Restaurant.They have some AWESOME desserts (and food). You can go to Colonial Williamsburg website and look around for the menu. Also, I second Capt. George's. That place is HUGE and so is the buffet! There is also The Pottery (which isn't glamorous, by any means) but you can find some really good deals there!

Tiffany123 and everyone else who's posted suggestions: awesome advice. Thanks, it's really appreciated!
:grouphug:

I wanted to add for any DVC members (or anyone reading these boards who may be staying at Manor Club)----there is a conceirge on site and she is excellent. She has restaurant recommendations, maps, ticket information, activity suggestions etc. Her office is just past the check-in desk and she will be happy to assist in anyway she can.

Just a few thoughts. First, Manor Club is not difficult to get. One can likely do better as a direct exchange or private rental. And if one does a direct exchange or rents from a member there, you get the free golf where you do not as an exchanger.

Dean,

We knew going in that there were more "economical" ways to stay at Manor Club but we had the points to use and didn't want to mess with renting them or hunting for a trade. As far as the golf goes, neither of us are golfers although I'm aware that many DVCer's are and the info about the golf availability is a nice plus for anyone who wants to do a direct trade or rental.

Tiffany

tiffany123 said:
Dean,

We knew going in that there were more "economical" ways to stay at Manor Club but we had the points to use and didn't want to mess with renting them or hunting for a trade. As far as the golf goes, neither of us are golfers although I'm aware that many DVCer's are and the info about the golf availability is a nice plus for anyone who wants to do a direct trade or rental.

Tiffany
Our sentiments as well. In the end, I'm delighted to read this trip report and hear more about this location no matter how the deal was managed.

We stayed at Ford's Colony last summer. I agree the units are quite large and very well appointed. Busch Garden's was a great park. The roller coasters are fantastic, and it was quite well maintained.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter