Trip Report! Greek Odyssey, Part 2 - IMAGE INTENSIVE!

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
Day 2, Panathenaic Stadium & the Acropolis.

The first full day of our trip in Athens was quite the full day! Breakfast was the same buffet we'd eaten at for our pre-days (although I appreciated it *much* more after all the drugs were out of my system!!) They had a really great selection of items (although they didn't change from day to day). We then headed out to our motorcoach to start our tour of Athens.

After driving a bit through a town dominated by the Acropolis

P1110209.jpg

we arrived at the Panathenaic Stadium. This stadium was re-built in the mid-1800s on the site where the ancient Olympics were held. The first modern Olympics were held here in 1896. The entire stadium, except for the track, is made of marble. Seats, aisles, steps, walls, the whole shooting match! Very impressive!

P1110213.jpg

P1110218.jpg

Our incredible Guide Elena, telling us the history of the Stadium. The first of many, many stories! Elena is a story-teller par excellance!
(Click, it's a video!)

On non-Adults Only trips, the Junior Adventurers have a race at the Stadium. Since there were no Junior Adventurers, the Adults got to do it! Four of us decided to give it a go!

Action shot!

P1110226.jpg

Unfortunately, Robin turned her foot right after this and went sprawling. So much for that race! But she was mostly OK, just kind of banged up her hip.

Underneath the Staduim, they have a museum dedicated to the torches from all the modern Olympics! It was really fascinating. I never realized that they were all so different!

P1110239.jpg

After we finished at the Stadium, we returned to our motorcoach, and headed off to the centerpiece of Athens -- the Acropolis!

This is a theatre just outside the Acropolis that is partially restored (and actually used for performances)

P1110255.jpg

Aereopagus Hill (or the Rock of Ares) in the center of the picture. This is said to be where the Apostle Paul preached to the Athenians. It was the site of a court in ancient times.

P1110273.jpg

The Temple of Athena Nike, just outside the entrance to the Acropolis.

P1110276.jpg

The Propylaia - the massive entrance to the Ancient Acropolis.

P1110278.jpg

Wherever you notice really white marble, that's where they are restoring the structures. The marble will eventually age like the surrounding stone.

Looking back through the Propylaia towards Athens.

P1110285.jpg

This is the first side you come up to of the Parthenon, which is currently undergoing re-construction. Part of what they are doing is taking the columns apart, which are held together by metal posts, which are rusting away, and replacing it with concrete. It's amazing what they've re-constructed here. Elena told us that at one point it was hit by a bomb! Also, a lot of the sculptures/friezes from the upper perimeter of the Parthenon are missing because they were taken by an Englishman named Elgin, and are now in the British Museum. England said they would return them, so the amazing Museum of the Acropolis was built to house them. Unfortunately, they are yet to be returned, so there are reproductions in the museum at the moment.

P1110294.jpg

The remains of an ampitheatre below the Acropolis.

P1110309.jpg

The Temple of Zeus from the Acropolis

P1110311.jpg

The magnificent Parthenon from the other end.

P1110315.jpg

P1110322.jpg

A bit of sculpture that still survives.

P1110320.jpg

The Erechtheion. The 6 statues holding up the porch roof are called the Karyatides. These are actually reproductions, as the originals are currently in the Museum of the Acropolis, being cleaned & restored.

P1110330.jpg

Our other wonderful Guide, Landon.

P1110336.jpg

This olive tree, on the far side of the Erecthion, is said to be the original olive tree planted by the goddess Athena!

P1110352.jpg

Another view of the Parthenon.

P1110366.jpg

P1110387.jpg

The whole area was just so amazing and impressive. The sheer ancientness and size of the structures... Amazing!

Continued in the next post

After we finished at the Acropolis, we headed down to an area below the Acropolis called the Plaka.

P1110404.jpg

The area below the Acropolis is lined with churches and very expensive homes. We walked along the road, and down to the corner where the Plaka began. The Guides pointed out the Museum of the Acropolis, the restaurants, and the shops of the Plaka. We now had the afternoon on our own to eat lunch and explore. We were to meet back at that corner later to catch our motorcoach back to the hotel.

I joined Jaime and Bob on their way to a Taverna they had been past during their pre-days. We saw a lot of the Plaka, as the Taverna was WAY at the far end of the Plaka. But once we got there, we sat outside under a pleasant canopy, and had some delicious Greek food for lunch.

P1110410.jpg

P1110415.jpg

After lunch, we wandered the Plaka some more, and came across a cool little church that was not, unfortunately, open.

P1110422.jpg

Once we got back to the meeting place, we had some time to wait. I wandered just a bit, and found we were just a little ways from the road where the Gate of Hadrian is, along with the Temple of Zeus. I didn't have time to go in the area where the Temple of Zeus was, but I got some good pictures through the fence.

P1110436.jpg

P1110428.jpg

We then went back to the hotel to relax and get changed for our dinner that night. We ended up taking the motorcoach back to the Plaka, and followed our Guides on a winding path through the Plaka to a cute little Taverna.

It was crazy how everyone was sitting out on the stairs, which were completely covered with people eating and drinking and talking and laughing.

P1110448.jpg

P1110451.jpg

P1110454.jpg

P1110457.jpg

P1110458.jpg

P1110459.jpg

I can't eat tomatoes (or green peppers or citris fruit). The no tomatoes thing perplexed the folks who fed us, but they were all great about making me (massive) salads with no tomatoes, as well as delicious tomato-less dishes. The food on this trip, unlike a lot of the ABD's I've been on, was fabulous! We got a lot of the same dishes from place to place, but it was all so delicious, nobody complained! And there was enough different to keep us interested.

P1110462.jpg

P1110464.jpg

P1110471.jpg

There was a two-piece band that played for us the *entire time*! And they were quite good!

P1110470.jpg

Click! It's another video!

Then, a professional dance troupe came in, and danced for us. They came back several times, in different costumes, doing different dances. Very energetic and very entertaining!

P1110477.jpg

I loved the pleated little skirts!

P1110485.jpg

Video!

They got a bunch of us up dancing with them, and finished up with one of the dancers spinning this poor girl round and round! I don't think she knew what she was in for!

P1110493.jpg

We then walked back through the Plaka (the weather was GORGEOUS that night!) and then headed back to the hotel.

P1110494.jpg

It was off to bed then, because we had an early start the next morning to head to Delphi!

Continued in Part 3. -- Day 3 - Delphi and the Temple of Apollo

This is the first side you come up to of the Parthenon, which is currently undergoing re-construction. Part of what they are doing is taking the columns apart, which are held together by metal posts, which are rusting away, and replacing it with concrete. It's amazing what they've re-constructed here. Elenya told us that at one point it was hit by a bomb! Also, a lot of the sculptures/friezes from the upper perimeter of the Parthenon are missing because they were taken by an Englishman named Elgin, and are now in the British Museum. England said they would return them, so the amazing Museum of the Acropolis was built to house them. Unfortunately, they are yet to be returned, so there are reproductions in the museum at the moment.

I loved seeing these at the British Museum when we were in London. They were incredible and at eye level so really could see everything!

Loved seeing Landonakis in the pictures. He is a great guide
:cool1:

I loved seeing these at the British Museum when we were in London. They were incredible and at eye level so really could see everything!

Loved seeing Landonakis in the pictures. He is a great guide
:cool1:
I didn't make it to the British Museum when we were there. Guess I'll just have to go back! It's kind of sad that they got them under such bad conditions... :confused3 Elgin basically stole them. But I suppose that happened a lot.

It was so great having Landon as a Guide again. He and Elena made a fabulous team, like he did with Adam. He only did the one tour, then he headed to Italy to do those tours. :thumbsup2

Sayhello

We just returned from our Med Cruise to Greece/Turkey. You're pictures bring back some great memories. Your Day 2 is similar to what we did on our tour. We hit the Temple of Zeus and the Acropolis early. We headed for the Plaka for lunch and then wandered a bit through the Agora. We finished up with Acropolis Museum - a beautiful museum. As mentioned, a lot of the sculptures associated with the Acropolis were copies as the original "Elgin Marbles" are at the British Museum.

I think I mentioned to you we are going to Athens again next summer with DCL. I'm thinking of heading down to Poseiden's Temple and/or the Archaeological Museum of Athens. Not sure yet.

Looking forward to your pictures of Delphi. Sounds like an awesome trip.

We just returned from our Med Cruise to Greece/Turkey. You're pictures bring back some great memories. Your Day 2 is similar to what we did on our tour. We hit the Temple of Zeus and the Acropolis early. We headed for the Plaka for lunch and then wandered a bit through the Agora. We finished up with Acropolis Museum - a beautiful museum. As mentioned, a lot of the sculptures associated with the Acropolis were copies as the original "Elgin Marbles" are at the British Museum.

I think I mentioned to you we are going to Athens again next summer with DCL. I'm thinking of heading down to Poseiden's Temple and/or the Archaeological Museum of Athens. Not sure yet.

Looking forward to your pictures of Delphi. Sounds like an awesome trip.
So glad you enjoyed your trip to Greece (along with the rest!) Are you doing a report on the DCL Forum? I'd love to check it out.

I did the Agora and the Acropolis Museum on my post-day, so there will be more about them then. :) But wasn't the Acropolis Museum amazing?

I highly recommend Poseidon's Temple. The drive down is very nice, and the area is beautiful. The museum is also really great, but if I had to choose, I'd do Cape Sounion.

Hoping to have Part 3 up today!

Sayhello

Looks beautiful! Dana will be going to school across from the British Museum, so I told her she has to see the missing sculptures while she's there! ;-)

The food sounds great! (Although life without tomatoes would be hard for me! Lol ) The food on the Germany ABD was fabulous, too!

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

So glad you enjoyed your trip to Greece (along with the rest!) Are you doing a report on the DCL Forum? I'd love to check it out.

I did the Agora and the Acropolis Museum on my post-day, so there will be more about them then. :) But wasn't the Acropolis Museum amazing?

I highly recommend Poseidon's Temple. The drive down is very nice, and the area is beautiful. The museum is also really great, but if I had to choose, I'd do Cape Sounion.

Hoping to have Part 3 up today!

Sayhello

The Acropolis Museum was really cool. I'm glad we got the chance to see it. It was cool how the floors were made of glass so you could see the archaeological dig going on under the museum. Our guide was saying if you want to rebuild anything in Athens (a private home for example) by law you must hire an archaeologist and no doubt they would find something buried essentially stopping any construction project.
Unfortunately, I doubt I'll have time to put up a trip report. There's at least one good one being posted now. I'm off again towards the end of next week to Disneyland for the big D23 expo. Meanwhile, I'm still going through my many photos to make photo books for my SE Asia ABD and now the Med Cruise. A lot to catch up on.

Loving all the pictures so far. It's so hard to wrap my head around how ancient everything is there. The trip looks amazing so far, can't wait to see the rest. This is definitely something I would love to do one day.

Loving all the pictures so far. It's so hard to wrap my head around how ancient everything is there. The trip looks amazing so far, can't wait to see the rest. This is definitively something I would love to do one day.
Thanks, DDuck4Life! :thumbsup2 I agree, it's really hard to wrap your head around how old everything just *is*. And this isn't even the most ancient stuff yet! :) The trip *was* amazing!

Sayhello

I haven't spotted any whole-group photos. How man were in your group? We did Viva Italia two years ago with a fairly large, but manageable group. We'd love to do more, but are kind of looking for back-to-back adult exclusives which don't seem to exist.

I haven't spotted any whole-group photos. How man were in your group? We did Viva Italia two years ago with a fairly large, but manageable group. We'd love to do more, but are kind of looking for back-to-back adult exclusives which don't seem to exist.
Ah, OK! You didn't specify "Adult Only" back-to-backs in the other post! I see what you are saying now. Yes, they tend to mostly be in May or September around the same time. I'll still give a look-see to that!

I'll dig out some group photos from the Guide photos for this day. I do have a group shot in Part 2 that I'm working on (Delphi) and should have that posted soon.

There were 18 folks on this trip. My Adults Only trips have had 14, 15 and now 18 people on them. The Med cruise add-on was not Adults Only, and had 39. The DIS exclusive London/Paris trip was Adults Only, but because of the Podcast, had 33 people. I really didn't see the Guides have issues with the group size on any of them.

Sayhello

Here's an (almost) whole group photo. One person (Rich) apparently missed the photo! He had a tendency to wander off on his own, as we learned the next day in Delphi, so it's not horribly surprising. :) There were 18 of us.

Sayhello

283.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter