Trip Report - February 2023

Noreen411

DIS Veteran
Introduction

Noreen - I am a Senior Vice President at an Investment Banking firm in New York City. I will be the author of the report.
Scott - my husband. Scott is an independent contractor

I’m going to post a picture (or few) of Scott and I so you see what we look like

5E4A6335-31AF-4C4F-B170-8414C4EE4DE9.jpeg
78C0105D-B912-4899-AD75-3FADEB961177.jpeg
86039BFA-D5C9-40E0-911E-EC377B49532E.jpeg

Planning

Dates:
We were away from Friday 2/3/23 until Saturday 2/18/23
We were in Florida from Saturday 2/4/23 until Friday 2/17/23

Transportation:
We drove to Florida from Northern New Jersey. We’ve done it a few times and prefer the flexibility it gives us over flying. We’ll do the drive over 2 days stopping in either North or South Carolina for the night when we get tired. We don’t book a hotel for this part in advance, we’ll do it on the fly once we decide we’re just about ready to stop. We’ve done the drive straight through a few times and realized we prefer to break it up over two days.

Lodging:
We stayed at the sister resort to our timeshare. We own one week in a 2 bedroom / 2 bath villa at Vistana Resort. We stayed at Vistana Villages (the sister resort). Both are great resorts; we enjoy the large 24 hour fitness center at Vistana Villages so have been choosing that resort lately when available. With our ownership we don’t have to stay in the 2 bedroom / 2 bath villa; there is a chart of options that it’s worth and we can choose to stay in a different size villa (or different resorts too). We have enough options to stay in a 1 bedroom villa for about 2 weeks. Since it’s just Scott and I we don’t need 2 bedrooms. I like to book the premium 1 bedroom villa for us. Unfortunately, the premium 1 bedroom wasn’t available for our dates so I booked a regular 1 bedroom (it’s less options for the regular vs the premium 1 bedroom). I chose the St Augustine section of the resort with the large fitness center. When we visited March 2022 we stayed in a regular one bedroom and were pleasantly surprised by it.

Activities:
We have annual passes. We have Incredipass as out of state passholders.
We would buy Genie+ most days and Individual Lightening Lane for the attractions we wanted to ride. I didn’t keep track of exactly what I booked and the times. However, we would normally buy Genie+ right before 7am so we could book our first attraction at 7.

Dining:
I had a handful of restaurants I wanted to try to get reservations for. I logged in 60 days out each morning right before they opened to book dinner reservations. I kept checking and changing things as we went along. We continued making changes even once we were already at Disney including some nights choosing not to have a reservation and just wing it

Routine:
We have a pretty normal (maybe boring) routine in the morning at Disney. We would go to the gym then once back in the villa would do laundry, use the jacuzzi, take our showers, and have breakfast before leaving for the park

Miscellaneous:
This is pretty normal for me, but I didn’t keep many notes of the trip so will try to recreate what we did part from memory so I’m sure I’ll forget some things. I would send myself texts throughout the day to remind me of what we did. Between the texts and the pictures, I’m hoping to remember most of it.

Car Saga -What Car are we taking?
Normally this wouldn’t be relevant to a Disney trip but since we drove and it impacted our trip I’m going to include it.

We both lease our cars. Scott has a big pickup truck. I have a car.
We planned to drive my car to Disney.

To give some history of my ongoing car saga…
I’m pretty boring with my car. Since I lease, when one lease is just about up, I give the car back and get the same thing in a newer version. My car of choice has been either a black or charcoal grey BMW 5 series for the past probably 15 years.

My last lease ended during the pandemic (November 2020) and it would take months to order my next one. Since I wasn’t going anywhere and still working remotely (due to the pandemic) I gave my car back and was carless for a period of time. I explored a few other car options but everything had long waiting periods to get the cars built and delivered.

By the summer of 2021 we were in the BMW dealer and I was going to order my normal 5 series since the world was starting to open back up so I needed a car. Of course it would still take months to order it. Sitting on the showroom floor I saw a car so different from my normal car…an electric blue (Snapper Rocks Blue Metallic is the official color) little sporty BMW. It’s beautiful and little; I took it for a test drive and drove it home that day. Scott calls it my “mid life crisis“ car.

I was loving my little car, but after a few months an odd light about the battery came on. I brought it to the dealer. They put a new battery in. A few weeks later the light came back on so I brought it back. They ran some tests but couldn’t find anything wrong. Every few months I would bring the car in and they would check it since the light kept coming on. They would give me loaner cars while they had my car running tests. They eventually said ignore the light the car is fine, they didn’t find anything wrong.

Fast forward to December 2022. The alarm starts going off on the car. I can’t get it to stop. The little clicker isn’t working. I can’t get into the car. On the phone they explained how to get into the car without the clicker. The car wouldn’t start. My car was towed to the dealer. They said something is draining the battery and they would order a part to fix it, but it could take a while because of supply chain issues.

Normally they give you a regular loaner car for any repairs/tests/ or if they need to keep the car for a few days. However, they have a deal with Enterprise car rental for longer term loaner cars. They handle everything from arranging the rental car, getting the car, etc.

The first car they gave me was a huge Infiniti SUV. They said if it’s too big let them know and they’ll find me something else. I tried to make it work, I used it for a few weeks, but this was just too big for me.

The next car was a funky burnt orange BMW with over 50,000 miles on it and some dings and dents. I used this for a few weeks and was fine with it locally, but was worried about driving it to Florida with that many miles on it (not to mention the funky color).

The dealer said they could swap the car for us again but the next car was coming back the day we were planning to leave for Florida. They were having issues getting cars back since the repairs were taking longer so the rental cars were out longer. This delayed our time to leave. There was another car that was supposed to come back a few days before we were to leave that we would have taken, but that person’s car wasn’t ready so they had to keep their rental/loaner longer.

The next car was a dark blue Lexus. This seemed OK, had almost 20,000 miles on it, and was a similar size to my normal 5 series.

We drove the Lexus to Florida. It was a nice car with nice features. But we came home with yet another car. About halfway through our trip, all sorts of lights about brakes and engine failure came on in the car.

We had to swap the car at Enterprise at the Orlando airport since when we called they said there would be a better selection of cars there. When we got to Enterprise at the airport since the Daytona 500 was coming soon, they had a limited inventory available. They had either minivans or trucks. We ended up with a Ford F150 truck with maybe 5,000 miles on it. Much bigger than we wanted to drive around Disney with, but it was a very nice truck.

The good news is that when we got home from our trip, my little car was finally fixed (hopefully) and we picked it up Monday 2/20 and gave the rental car back to them.

I have to give props to the car dealer/BMW in general. I didn’t pay a penny for any of this. They arranged all the swaps, paid for the rental cars, fixing my car, etc. While I had lots of issues with my little car, I’m still a fan of BMW.

The week before the trip
Scott’s wedding ring:
A few months ago we had his ring stretched to fit his finger since it was too tight. He doesn’t wear it all the time since he does construction work. The ring was now too loose and would fall off his finger. We didn’t go back to the jeweler to have it made smaller or get a ring guard yet. Instead, we ordered an Enso Disney ring for him from Amazon so it’s cute, he has something to wear, but there is no sentimental attachment to it. Good thing since this ring slipped off his finger and was lost during the first few days of our trip.

Other Stuff to do:
We tried on clothes to bring, doing our little fashion show for each other, and did most of the packing.

We put together a detailed note for the cat sitter about the cats various medications/needs.

I went to get my manicure/pedicure. I did a shellac manicure so it lasts the whole trip.
88162197-F6C3-445D-B479-103C1A70A802.jpeg

Friday 2/3/23
We originally planned to leave at 4am, but with the ongoing car saga, had to leave later.
Scott went to swap out the car once the dealer was open.

We ended up not leaving until 11am.

We were in Delaware approximately 1:45. It’s a small state to drive through.

We were in Maryland a few minutes before 2. At the rest area they had an Earl of Sandwich. We shared an Original light on the sauce. The sandwich has roast beef, cheddar, and horseradish sauce. It’s not quite the same as eating it at Disney Springs, but it was pretty good.

3E725480-C2B9-47D3-B040-F2C0AF9CE10F.jpegE1AD117F-9488-42B3-AC13-A78F6EB35C4E.jpeg

We were in Virginia by 4pm. There was a lot of traffic in Virginia.

We were in North Carolina by 7:45.

We booked the Residence Inn Florence South Carolina when we were maybe 3 hours away from there. We booked a 1 bedroom room. Last time we stayed here we stayed in a studio room.

We got to South Carolina by 10:45.

We arrived at the Residence Inn Florence SC at 11:30. We’ve stayed here before and recommend it if passing through and looking for a place to stay. The rooms are nice, there is a small gym, a pool, a laundry room, and they offer free breakfast during certain hours. There are also several restaurants nearby but given how late we arrived our choices were limited this time.

We unpacked the car and brought our stuff in. The room is pretty nice with an open concept living room, dining area, kitchenette. The bedroom is a separate room. The bathroom while not fully contained (our preference) isn’t bad; the sink area is in it’s own room with the shower/tub and toilet in a separate room.
39179AE3-94B4-4F80-9600-8738DA44093C.jpeg
2328FC1B-FF4A-401C-AF46-33C44F7161B1.jpeg

7A8BE9B8-BE73-4E82-9D84-0EFBE98B6557.jpeg
84229F8D-3BD3-426B-8FB3-3E8FEB924931.jpeg
DAAEF6A8-9FC3-4674-A801-B02C37BDF09D.jpeg

Friday 2/3/23 Continued
We were hungry but weren’t sure if anything would be open for dinner this late. We were pleasantly surprised to see that Buffalo Wild Wings was still open. Scott has never been to Buffalo Wild Wings before and wanted to try it.

5B29D74D-9DBB-46E9-AEB8-214D7D30368B.jpeg

We sat at the bar to eat. They didn’t have White Sangria (my usual drink) or a cocktail menu but the waitress recommended I try “Sex on the Beach” when I said I like fruity drinks that don’t taste like alcohol. Scott had a martini.
My drink was a good choice.
9AC50578-4DC6-4995-AE73-9688FD0F7456.jpeg

Scott had the brisket burger with fries. He said the burger was good.
EC536C1B-8B20-4748-828F-4F9ADAECBB0A.jpeg

Scott loves macaroni and cheese and will order it whenever he sees it on the menu. I can take it or leave it. He said this one was just OK. I didn’t try it.
B81FD639-48BA-4BD4-B3C6-0598FC7AD748.jpeg

I ordered chicken tenders. The chicken tenders were kind of dried out so not that good. The French fries were good.
B3A45C16-3B85-4E57-9CD9-6C142EFFC481.jpeg

Buffalo Wild Wings was OK, but we probably wouldn’t rush back.

We were back at the hotel about 1:30am and went to sleep.

Following along. Wow...what an ordeal with the cars! Glad you finally got yours back :)

Following along. Wow...what an ordeal with the cars! Glad you finally got yours back :)
Hi. It was annoying but we’re pretty easygoing so didn’t let it upset us. We were still able to go to Disney and have an amazing trip so we’re very grateful to be able to do that since we know not everyone can.

Saturday 2/4/23
We didn’t wake up until 7 so skipped the gym this morning. We just showered and got dressed to get on the road.
We left about 8:45.

We were in Georgia by 11:15
19BDA411-428E-4F27-8F7B-CCFA4A4BDC60.jpeg

It’s been cold this whole drive. We missed Peach World (both of them) so just skipped it.

We got to Florida just after 1, but know we still have a few more hours to go.
E4229690-EFB1-41F2-9D90-17D033B3FEBC.jpeg
6BD3DA58-E828-4FD9-919C-67EB7DDDC1A8.jpeg
26F9F982-D80D-4137-AC50-A71A373F393E.jpeg
69BEEB6C-7CEE-439B-826C-7B59582CC985.jpeg

Saturday 2/4/23 Continued
We arrived at Vistana Villages about 4:30. As owners we are supposed to check in at a separate area.

We sat down with the woman checking us in (she also emailed me about a week ago to see if we had any special requests like what floor we wanted to be on and things like that). Our villa wasn’t ready just yet but she said we would be in building 25 in St Augustine (as requested). We didn’t care what floor we’re on other than not wanting to be on the 1st floor. She said she found a great villa for us on the 6th floor and we’ll love it. We ended up talking about/sharing pictures of cats with her. She said she’ll call me as soon as the villa is ready and it would probably only be another 20 minutes or so.

We drove to Publix to get some groceries and other items we wanted. As we were checking out of Publix (about 6) the woman from Vistana Villages called that our villa is ready.

We’re in building 25 in the St Augustine Section - villa # 25-616. It’s a small one bedroom villa. It’s not laid out like the one we had last March which was also a small one bedroom at the corner of the building. This one was long where the last one was wide. I preferred the layout of the one from last year a bit better but this was still very nice. The location of this villa is great - right in the center of the building, near an elevator, straight down to the gym from the 6th floor.

DF8D0A13-E06C-4D9D-9B6F-67A243BB9DA9.jpeg

The living/dining/kitchen area is pretty open concept. When you first walk in to one side is the stackable washer/dryer.

B75CCE8E-9EFA-4122-85AF-16A91EAECB74.jpeg

On the other side is the table and chairs.

B8F06DE7-3C67-43E8-9748-C0F4AAAB008A.jpeg

The living room area is next with a couch, chair, end table, a TV on a stand with drawers that Scott used for his clothes, the little ottoman looking things open for storage and you can flip the tops over with one side being soft and the other more like a little table. I didn’t get a picture of the TV stand and drawers. There is a decent sized closet in the living room that we stored our luggage, totes, etc in. There were things like an ironing board and vacuum in there.

The kitchenette is decently equipped with a sort of full size refrigerator and freezer, a dishwasher, a sink, a small 2 burner stovetop (no oven) and things like plates, glasses, bowls, silverware, pots, etc.

5E2B266F-C807-491E-BBFC-3150888177F6.jpeg

BCF3BA8D-1E18-49F8-A455-247F721DB201.jpeg

The bathroom is across from the kitchen. There are two doors to the bathroom and you can enter from either the kitchen or the bedroom. The bathroom is fully contained (which we like) with a sink with drawers for storage and an under sink shelf for more storage, a jacuzzi tub with shower overhead, and toilet. I didn’t take a picture of the bathroom.

The bedroom has a bed, dresser (I used this dresser), night stands with drawers, a TV, and a closet with a safe in it.

195D29D7-5058-4A58-90AF-E3F7F0C7A281.jpeg

8BD61198-0305-4638-99E1-2AE2D46B1C4B.jpeg

The sliding glass doors to the balcony are in the bedroom. The balcony has a small table and two chairs. We had a very nice view of the pool.

0C2F35F2-E7D3-4DFB-AE3A-CDBF74C5816F.jpeg

2D8E4AD6-C63B-4C77-9592-2B69EDBD05D0.jpeg

We unpacked which took a while. We cleaned the villa. I know they clean it before we check in but we always do some additional cleaning when we check in. We run the dishes/silverware/glasses through the dishwasher. We wipe down all the surfaces. We called maintenance for the drain in the tub which was draining slowly. We noticed this when Scott filled the tub with water and bleach, ran the jacuzzi, then went to drain it to do that a second time. They said they would be there soon and we didn’t have to wait for them if we were planning to go out.

Saturday 2/4/23 Continued
We headed out to dinner about 9. We didn’t have reservations for tonight since we didn’t know what time we would get here or how we would feel after the long drive.

We went to Saltgrass Steakhouse on Route 535. We’ve been here several times in the past and always enjoy it.

F3759B33-1A0F-4802-94FA-F58498567190.jpeg

We sat at the bar to eat. Scott had a Martini and I had a Tropical Sangria. This was a very good sangria.
62C24888-7046-44B4-A3A2-A38CE5052CDD.jpeg

We received bread and salad to start. Their bread and salad remind me of Outback Steakhouse; we like Outback too.
764F65E7-2782-46E5-A623-D10350A7FE3C.jpeg
203B7EEE-3A68-49AB-B02E-E7BB37A94DDE.jpeg

We shared an entree of Salmon Oscar with macaroni & cheese and french fries. We’ll share meals often otherwise it’s just too much food. Everything was very good. The salmon was better than we expected it to be.
DB9E147D-9D6D-4203-8BBF-B30E821AEA83.jpeg
DC13F153-21D3-43FF-B059-DE670BE323E1.jpeg

For dessert we were originally thinking of the Carrot Cake, but ended up getting the Pecan Pie Bread pudding special. It wasn’t on the menu, we saw someone getting it and asked what it was. That sounded good so we got it. It wasn’t that great. It was a bit on the dry side with burnt edges. We shouldn’t compare but the Tambu Lounge/O’Hana (at the Polynesian) bread pudding is our favorite, it’s the holy grail of bread pudding. This one did not come close.
ECAD8D31-62A0-4734-A6BF-302C7A53E8A6.jpeg

After dinner we drove back to the resort.

Maintenance had come and fixed the drain so we filled the tub with water/bleach, ran the jacuzzi, and drained it easily. After two cycles it’s ready.

This is always the best feeling for me…we’re here, checked in, unpacked, and have the whole trip ahead of us.

Following along . Always enjoy your reports and honest opinions. Looking forward to reading more .

The next car was a funky burnt orange BMW with over 50,000 miles on it and some dings and dents. I used this for a few weeks and was fine with it locally, but was worried about driving it to Florida with that many miles on it
What I would give to take a road trip in a car that has only 50,000 miles on it! That milestone is almost 100,000 miles in our (scratched up) rear view mirror!

Enjoying your trip report.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter