Trip Report - Canadave & family to WDW- Day 14 & 15 - It’s time to go home

Canadave

DIS Veteran
The CAST: DD1 (Brittany, 15 yrs. old), DD2 (Emily, 11 yrs. old), DW (Marylynn, let's just say early 40's) and myself (Dave,same)

Sunday and Monday, February 8 & 9/04

We're up bright and early, hoping to be on the road for 8. While the family is finishing up the packing, I head over to the Main Hall and grab a coffee and a luggage carrier...no sign of Tyler...maybe we'll see him next trip...I'm glad I have my jeans on cause it's 39* out :eek: (turns out today's high was 58*...good timing for us)...I was hoping our 'quick check-out' bill would be dropped off as we had requested one...alas, there must have been an error, because the next door had theirs...so I went to the front desk and they apologized and I was quickly on my way.

Finally get the van loaded and are off and running by 8:20...not bad...it's sad leaving...giving everything that last look as you pass them...but everyone is feeling good as it was a great holiday and we had spent some quality time together...now it's just the long drive home.

We pass the hydro pole that's shaped like a hidden Mickey...that is soooo neat...but as usual, we didn't have the camera ready, so a picture will have to wait until next trip....we miss our first exit and end up driving an extra 20 minutes...no problem...an extra 20 minutes in Florida :teeth: ...it is so neat seeing all these orange groves in Florida, especially for a Canadian, especially in February, so we stop at a road side stand and buy some fresh oranges for the trip home.

It was a pretty uneventful trip home...on the first day we stopped in Macon & Ringgold, Georgia; Knoxville and Walton, Kentucky (went into the same Pilot gas station that we were in on the way down...this is the one we had asked for directions during the real foggy night...same people were there and had remembered us...we all had a good laugh, although I'm not sure if they were laughing with us or.....) : and finally we stopped in Middletown, Ohio at the Super 8 around 11:30...it had been a long drive, but we wanted to get as far as we could and make day 2 a shorter drive...had an interesting talk with the hotel clerk about the storm that we JUST missed on the way down...we were pretty lucky.

Up the next morning and on the road just after 8...one stop for gas in Bowling Green, Ohio before getting to the border at around noon...went through border check in no time at all...even though we forgot that we still had a couple of oranges :o ...stopped in Tilbury for some KFC (need those KFC hot chicken wings...can't get them in the States) and Tim Horton's.

Home sweet home at 5:10...as great of a trip as it was, it is always nice to be home...24 hours of drive time!...that's 3 hours less than last trip.:D

...my last report will be a short synopsis of the trip...hopefully to be posted very soon

Thanks for the report, Dave! I love driving through those orange groves too. Do you also drive out 192 to Hwy 27 and up to the Florida Turnpike?

I find that feeling of "glad to be home" only lasts until the tiredness of the drive wears off! ;)

Looking forward to reading your synopsis of your trip, next!

Mmmmm ... fresh Florida oranges :) I miss that. When my Mom used to winter in Florida, it was a favourite park of our 2 weeks every Feb. Glad your drive home was uneventful.

Mary Liz

TimNDansMom..."Do you also drive out 192 to Hwy 27 and up to the Florida Turnpike?"

Yes, that's the route we take...don't know what happened at the first...missed an exit...made it back though on track with just a little time lost, so everything was fine

Dave, a few years ago, we were driving back from a day on the Gulf coast, along I-4 and instead of turning north onto Hwy 27, we turned south. It was dark but after a while, we realized something wasn't right from the signs we were passing and when I consulted the map, found that we were on our way to Miami!! Luckily, we had only driven about 15 minutes out of our way. :rolleyes:

Another great report Dave....thanks. I didn't know about the hidden Mickey hydro pole...where is it?

DisneyLisa...sorry I missed your posting...you'll see the hydro pole about 5 minutes from the WDW gate...I'm pretty sure it's the I92 there, doh:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter