Trip Report - Canadave & family to WDW- An overview of our trip to WDW, 2004 edition

Canadave

DIS Veteran
The CAST: DD1 (Brittany, 15 yrs. old), DD2 (Emily, 11 yrs. old), DW (Marylynn, let's just say early 40's) and myself (Dave,same)

I was trying to figure out how to do a synopsis of our trip reports, so I thought I would include the good, the bad, (no ugly), and a mini ratings review of our dining experiences...since the dining is one of my favourite parts of WDW, I'll start with them...so here goes:

Boma: Price 4 stars; Atmosphere 4 stars; Food 4 1/2 stars; Service 4 stars; Overall (value) 4 1/2 stars.
Enjoyed the experience immensely...will go back.

Mitsukoshi Teppanyaki: Price 3 stars; Atmosphere 4 stars; Food 4 1/2 stars; Service 3 stars; Overall 4 stars.
Was a lot of fun, but could have been more fun with a different chef. DD2 LOVED this place...would go again.

50's Prime Time Cafe: Price 4 stars; Atmosphere 5 stars; Food 4 stars; Service 3 1/2 stars; Overall 4 stars.
Fun place, but server makes all the difference in how much fun.

Sci-Fi Diner: Price 3 1/2 stars; Atmosphere 5 stars; Food 4 stars; Service 3 1/2 stars; Overall 4 stars.
Experience this as an attraction as well as a place to eat.

Bongo's Cuban Cafe: Price 4 1/2 stars; Atmosphere 4 stars; Food 5 stars; Service 3 1/2 stars; Overall 5 stars.
Loved the Cuban food.

Ohana's (breakfast): Price (we had free breakfast coupon); Atmosphere 4 stars; Food 3 1/2 stars; Service 4 stars; Overall 4 stars.
Great interaction with the characters.

Liberty Tree Tavern: Price 4 1/2 stars; Atmosphere 4 1/2 stars; Food 5 stars; Service 5 stars; Overall 5 stars.
Was a delight to eat here...tasty food with good character interaction.

Chefs De France: Price 1 1/2 stars; Atmosphere 5 stars; Food 1 star; Service 4 1/2 stars; Value 3 stars.
Maybe we just hit a bad night...I was very disappointed with my meal...might try it again because the atmosphere and service were wonderful. Price rating is reflected in the quality of the food on this night.

Olivia's: Price 4 1/2 stars; Atmosphere 5 stars; Food 5 stars; Service 4 stars; Overall 5 stars.
Was a perfect place for lunch. Loved the relaxing atmosphere.

Planet Hollywood: Price 3 1/2 stars; Atmosphere 3 stars; Food 4 stars; Service 3 stars; Overall 3 1/2 stars.
Too noisy when busy...but food was good.

We also did a lot of non-table dining and was not disappointed at any one...I thought the pricing was very reasonable considering we are dining at WDW and most were fast. A quick rating for each (based mainly on the quality of the food):
Cantina San Angel: 4 stars
Lotus Blossom Cafe: 4 stars
Tusker House: 4 stars
Cosmic Rays: 4 1/2 stars
Chakranadis: 5 stars
Pop Century Food Court: 4 stars
Peco's Bills: 5 stars
Columbia Harbour House: 4 1/2 stars

DISAPPOINTMENTS

Snow storm and ice rain on trip down; no captain's chairs for kids in rental van; Casements at Ormond Beach in Daytona; Rain; Cancelled parades because of rain; Ride breakdowns - Primeval Whirl, Space Mountain, Tomorrowland Indy Speedway, and Rock n' Roller Coaster (twice!!); Mission Space (may be better next trip); Haunted Mansion Movie set; No doves at Beauty & the Beast or at Cinderella's Surprise Celebration; The emptiness of the Disney Animation attraction; DD2's sore feet; The mother and daughter (physically) fighting at Blizzard Beach; DD2's first time on Splash Mountain; Figment's Journey In to Your Imagination; The "attraction" in the AFI building at MGM; Pop Century bus service (at least on the night we used it); My 'timing' screwup at MK on our last day/missing the first 5 minutes of Wishes; and having to leave WDW

But thankfully the joys far exceed the disappointments...

HAPPINESS IS...

Staying one step ahead of the ‘storm of the winter’ when driving to WDW; a DVD player in the van; the Atlanta HOV lanes (driving 80 mph...er, with the flow of traffic...during rush hour); the Guesthouse Inn in Valdosta, Georgia - pleasant surroundings with good service; driving on the beach and sticking your feet into the Atlantic Ocean; cruising down a Florida highway with everyone singing to the Shrek soundtrack; entering the 'gates' at WDW; seeing Pop Century for the first time; giant Disney (and other) icons; looking at the faces of all the children at WDW; flavoured coffee creamers; strolling around Animal Kingdom Lodge; 'Early Entry' (or extra magic hour...or whatever they call it now); meeting DeVine for the first time; watching the active gorillas on the Pangani Trails at Animal Kingdom; meeting Lilo and Stitch; watching your child play the 'tag game' at Innovations in Epcot; Epcot passports; 80* and sunny; meeting The Queen from Snow White; the family raft ride at Blizzard Beach; seeing the Carousel of Progress again (reminds me of Walt); Mickey's Philharmagic; Wishes; treats from World Showcase countries; buying souvenirs representing the WS countries; watching the candy artist at the Japan Pavilion; seeing DW's face when the bridge "collapses" on the Kilimanjaro Safari in AK; Tower of Terror!!!; the Adventurer's Club at Pleasure Island; Mickey's 75th anniversary statues; and of course...the restaurants!!!

MAGICAL MOMENTS...extra special times during this trip

Visiting the original Kentucky Fried Chicken; sunrise on the Atlantic Ocean...awesome; watching the National Dance Team Championships at MGM...especially for DD2; our mini DIS meet with Ziggie and her husband (Linda and John); the surrey bike ride around Boardwalk; watching the Super Bowl outside at the poolside bar at PC with my new American friends; DD2 conquering both Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain (3 times!); buying the poster of our first family trip down Splash Mtn.; DD1 carrying DD2 on her back (DD2 had sore feet); the living statue in Italy grabbing DD2's pigtail...and not letting go!; DD1 and her Italian 'boyfriend' at the masquerade in the Italy Pavilion; DD2's face painting at AK; chasing Merlin to get his autograph after the Sword and the Stone ceremony; and finally meeting Jafar!

So overall, our trip to WDW this year was a resounding success. We really enjoyed our time at Pop Century. The resort was very neat/cool/groovy/keen. I think that if we were to have to pick our favourite value resort, All Star Movies would be number 1, but PC would be a close second. We have some great memories...and lots of photos and video and souvenirs!

I hope everyone enjoyed my reports...it was fun sharing them with you all and reliving our trip. I apologize for taking so long to finish them, but it's surprising how long it takes to write one of these. The great thing about these reports, at least for me, is that it forced me to do it sooner. On my past trips to WDW, I have written about the events in my journal...but it took me almost 2 years to finish...even though I made some brief notes during the trip, I didn't get around to journalizing until just before my next trip:rolleyes:

I'm working on posting some photographs of our trip...and with Dan Murphy's help, it should be sooner than later.

Although after every trip, we say "next holiday, let's try somewhere different"...well, stay tuned for my next WDW report :hyper:...after all, my name is Canadave, and I'm a Disneyholic

Thanks for all the reports, It really helps to pass the time when you are waiting for your own trip. I can't wait to see pictures! Maybe I will do something similar on the CDN boards when we get back.

Thanks for all of your reports! I loved reading them. And for the rest of us disneyholics, it is important to continue to live vicariously through others' experiences until we can return to the magic. I still laugh every time I think of your sunrise on the beach, and your DD1 told you to "tape it ... I'll watch it later". My kids aren't yet teenagers but I know these days are forthcoming.

You did a great job on your reports ::yes::

Mary Liz

Dave,

I loved your reports also. We often talk about a trip somewhere else, for about 10 seconds. That's why we bought a piece of home. I'm was glad to read your restaurant reviews because there are some that we actually haven't been too.

Besides, there is something new everytime we go and I've never been bored. I could stay there a year and never see everything.

Until our next trips we'll meet here on the Canadian boards for Disneyholic meetings. :earsgirl: :crazy: :earsboy:

Great trip reports - and the summary was excellent!!

Don't you just love those HOV lanes. Living in Toronto and commuting along the QEW for all those years, I just couldn't comprehend how you can drive 80mph during rush hour! Didn't you just want to shout out, "see ya later, suckers!" :p
If only they could do that on the 401!

Also agree a worthwhile stop was the KFC museum in Corbin Kentucky. We did the stop on the way up to Canada at Easter. Worth a lunch stop for sure!

Thanks for sharing

:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter