Trip Report! ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Part 9 - IMAGE INTENSIVE!

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
Last Sea Day & Disembarkation Day in Barcelona

So this was the last day of the cruise! Hard to believe it was almost over!

This Sea Day started out in a very fun way, with Table 32's character breakfast! For those who don't know, on the longer Disney cruises, everyone gets assigned, by their dining rotation, to a specific morning's character breakfast. So we sat at Table 32 in Parrot Cay, and ordered fun stuff for breakfast. (Among other things, I ordered the Mickey waffles, just to give them a try, but they were really only "OK". I'd heard they're not as good as the ones at the Magic Kingdom. Guess I'll have to give those a try some time.)

04120-2.jpg

Then, as we ate, several characters went from table to table so that we could get our pictures taken with them. So much fun! We had our normal servers with us, also, and they made fun headdresses for us out of our napkins and various tableware. It was quite a bit of silly fun! Here are several pics from breakfast:

Brian & Minnie & Jill.

04082-1.jpg

Dale & Me.

04089-1.jpg

Blake & Dale.

04090-1.jpg

Me & the Mouse.

04092-1.jpg

Brian appears to have not learned about not playing with his food. :-D

04095-1.jpg

Goofy!

04098-1.jpg

04099-1.jpg

04101-1.jpg

04103-1.jpg

Jill, Chip & Sarah. (Yes, I had to look it up. I *always* forget. Chip's nose is the color of a chocolate chip, and Dale has the red nose...)

04117-1.jpg

Table 32, ready to party! (As if that's anything new! ;-D ).

04121-1.jpg

It was really a pretty kick-back, uneventful day. I did some reading, both on my balcony & out on deck, but it was a little chilly for me out in the wind.

The only plans I had for the rest of the day were the Adventures by Disney Farewell reception they were holding later in the afternoon.

Robin & Tina showed us a wonderful slideshow of some of the best shots they'd taken, and one of the couples from the group presented them with a couple of journals that they had organized to get signed by all of us on the trip. Both Robin & Tina seemed very touched by it! :-)

04123-1-1.jpg

04122-1.jpg

Next we went to one of the most elaborate of the shows we saw, called "Disney Dreams". It was a very cute show about a young girl who dreams her way through several Disney stories.

04126-1.jpg

04153-1.jpg

After the show, we went back to our rooms to get ready for our last dinner.

I took this picture of a picture on the way back to my room.

04155-1.jpg

Taken from my verandah.

04162-1.jpg

My last towel animal...

04159-1.jpg

While we were there, some of the Table 32 folks hauled out some of the booze they'd acquired during the trip, and we had a little party out at "Tina's bar". Um, as you can see, Tina's bar was our stateroom attendant, Tina's, cleaning cart. It had some clean glasses that were pressed into service for a farewell toast or two!

04161-1.jpg

I think it was this night, but we had a few tears from the youngest of our Adventurers, who realized she would not be able to hang out with Robyn any more. I don't know how I've managed to not mention it, but Sydney became *extremely* attached to Robyn, and stuck by her during much of the tours. It was really pretty cute, and pretty sad when the separation became inevitable...

That night, as we finished up dinner, the "climax" of the night was the parade of baked Alaskas.

04170-1.jpg

And that was when it happened... I was trying to get a shot of the parade as it went by (which included our servers carrying flags from their home countries).

04176-1.jpg

Suddenly, my camera started flaking out. It froze up, it wouldn't take any pictures, it told me to turn itself off and back on, and then told me there were no pictures to show!!!! :scared1:

04175-1.jpg

I started quietly freaking out. I didn't want to spoil the party, but this had never happened to me before. I kept trying turning it off, turning it on, ejecting the memory card & reinserting it, etc, etc, but NOTHING helped. I finally broke down & told my tablemates. Somebody suggested I go to Shutters, and see if they could do anything with their computer system they use to download folks' pictures to CD. I went there, but it was no use. Their system didn't even recognize the memory card.

While I was there, starting to dispair, a pair of fellow DISers (I apologize if I get this wrong, but I *believe* it was moneyhappy and her hubby) heard what was going on, & said they'd had the same problem, and had downloaded some software that had recovered their pictures. So the hubby came with me to my cabin & tried to recover the pictures using his laptop. Unfortunately, despite his spending an *inordinate* amount of time VERY sweetly trying to help me, nothing was recovered. Now, by then I'd remembered that I'd been downloading my pictures to my iPad almost every day, and was able to verify that it was better than I thought, and that the only days that weren't backed up were the previous day (Monte Carlo & Eze) and this last Sea Day. So while it was sad (I thought I'd gotten some really cool shots in Eze, especially) it was not as tragic as if ALL my pictures were gone. And I held out a small bit of hope that maybe the Geek Squad, or someone else back home might be able to help me. I missed the Farewell show in the lobby, but was glad that I'd been helped so nicely by a fellow DISer. At that point, I just finished the last-minute packing, and went to bed.

[And just to break the suspense, I'll answer the obvious (since I *have* posted pictures from those two days) that when I got back home (and got over the stomach virus from hell) I went to Best Buy to see if the Geek Squad could help me. They couldn't read the memory card any better than I could (I'd tried on my PC at home, also). So they gave me 2 options. I could pay a large fee (no way to predict how much until after it was done) to have them send the card out & have it disassembled in a controlled environment, at which point they pretty much guarantee they can retrieve the photos. Or, I could go to SanDisk's website, and purchase a software utility they sold there to try & retrieve pictures from their memory cards. I figured I'd try SanDisk's software first. And it worked! In fact, it retrieved every single picture I'd taken on the trip, including the multitude of bad shots I'd deleted over the course of the cruise! The only downside was that it retrieved the videos as a series of still shots rather than as a video, so I had THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of pictures to retrieve & sort through. But it was all worth it, because I got those 2 days of pictures back! Happy Ending!!!!]

Continued below

The next morning was disembarkation back in Barcelona. My flight out was not until 6pm in the evening (I was flying to Israel to visit family -- figured I might as well, as long as I had traveled this far...). I had made arrangements to take Disney transport to Christy & Tom's post-stay hotel, where I would leave all my luggage, and go exploring Barcelona with the two of them until it was time for me to leave for the airport (I figured around 3pm). Since I was going to Israel, I decided to carry my own luggage off the ship . I did not really want to have to explain to El Al's security that my suitcases had been out of my control for several hours after they were packed. So I just stocked up on some breakfast-type stuff in my room that I ate that morning, and left at the time arranged by Christy & Tom to catch the bus. It worked out pretty well, as I was still a bit zonked from the emotional, late evening the night before, and I knew I'd be up REALLY late that night (I wasn't scheduled to arrive in Israel until the wee hours of the next morning). So this way, I was able to sleep in a bit, and take my time getting ready & leaving in the morning (sorry, Tina!!!)

At the hotel (the AC diplomatic), we left our luggage with the bell staff, and bought discounted tickets to two of the "Hop On, Hop Off" bus routes.

P1030926-1.jpg

We didn't do any hopping on or off, but just used them as tour buses to see parts of the town we hadn't gotten to before the cruise. It was a really gorgeous day, and I loved the tour. I wish we'd had even more time, so we could have gotten off at, say, Parc Guell or Montjuic, but I was grateful to be able to see what we did. Barcelona is a very pretty place, really interesting, with an amazing mix of architecture. I imagine I will have to go back there some day. We shall see!

(Hey, Christy, I was just thinking! I never found out. Did you ever find your hat? I sure hope so!)

Here are some of the shots taken from the "HOHO" bus:

Antoni Gaudi's Casa Mila.

P1030870-1.jpg

Antoni Gaudi is a "local boy made good" who designed many buildings around Barcelona in the late 1800's, in the "Modernismo" style. Very fanciful. Very ornate, fluid lines. His buildings were pretty easy to spot.

P1030785-1.jpg

A small guard house.

P1030829-1.jpg

Casa Batllo

P1030865-1.jpg

P1030866-1.jpg

And then there is Gaudi's never ending construction: La Sagrada Familia (The Church of the Sacred Family). It's been under construction since 1882.

Some of it is amazingly detailed. Some of it just looks like a melting mess to me. I wish we'd had more time to really look at it, but I'm glad we at least got to see it a bit...

P1030796-1.jpg

P1030799-1.jpg

P1030802-1.jpg

P1030804-1.jpg

P1030808-1.jpg

I'm thinking it's one of those places, like the Winchester Mystery House, that will never be "finished".

Misc. buildings & views around Barcelona:

P1030788-1.jpg

P1030789-1.jpg

P1030810-1.jpg

The Olympic Stadium

P1030839-1.jpg

P1030844-1.jpg

P1030848-1.jpg

P1030857-1.jpg

I loved this. All that was left of this building was the front facade, and they were building a whole new building behind it.

P1030876-1.jpg

I believe these interesting structures were outside the train station.

P1030879-1.jpg

Here we were, back in a familiar part of Barcelona, off Las Ramblas and the Columbus Monument.

P1030897-1.jpg

P1030901-1.jpg

This is a cool program, called Bicing, in Barcelona (there are similar systems in various places in Europe). You pay an annual membership fee, get a swipe card, and then can rent one of these bicycles whenever you need it. You swipe the card, take a bike, and return it to another station when you're done. First 1/2 hour is free; it's .30 euros for every 1/2 hour after that, up to 2 hours. What a fabulous idea!

P1030906-1.jpg

I just don't know *WHAT* to say about this building...

P1030908-1.jpg

Some interesting art downtown.

P1030910-1.jpg

So, at just about 3pm, we made it back to the AC Diplomatic, and the front desk got a car service to take me to the airport for a very reasonable flat fee (He was just waiting around in front of the hotel, so I imagine he was glad to get some business). I made it to the airport with plenty of time to spare, and endured another smashed commuter flight to Madrid.

Back in the horrendous Madrid airport, I had some "fun", in that apparently my boarding passes had all been randomly marked for extra-special searching by security. I was flying El Al from Madrid to Tel Aviv, and their security is pretty tight to begin with. And, besides looking thoroughly through my carryons, they made me go downstairs, identify my checked bag, and verify that there was nothing in it that I hadn't packed in there myself (which, considering ALL THE STUFF that I'd crammed in there, was not the easiest of jobs!) But I guess I felt more secure knowing they were doing this to a bunch of folks on the plane... In this case, the more security the better. Eventually, I got on the plane, and headed off to Israel.

Coming up soon will be the Final Installment (OMG!) - a few shots of Israel, and some more of the professional Shutters photos. And my parting, overall impressions...

Sayhello

Continued in Part 10.

Last edited:
Once again an outstanding trip report and your pictures are excellent.One of these days we would like to do an ABD in Europe.I know Isreal must have been very beautiful and it's always good to see family.

Once again an outstanding trip report and your pictures are excellent.One of these days we would like to do an ABD in Europe.I know Isreal must have been very beautiful and it's always good to see family.
Thanks, Icemann! :) This was my first European ABD. It was a really good experience. Except for the flights there & back, I'd do another one any time! :goodvibes

Israel *was* beautiful. And I enjoyed the family!

Sayhello

Great report, I am really enjoying both your writing and pictures. Looking forward to hearing about Israel. Karyn

Great report, I am really enjoying both your writing and pictures. Looking forward to hearing about Israel. Karyn
Thanks, Karyn! I'm glad you're enjoying it! I hope to have the final installment up soon!

Sayhello

No it cant end!!! I miss it too much. Tina's bar was the best let me tell you. We had so many good times on that trip and I will remember Table 32 always.

You've done a great job on your trip report and I'm so glad that you didn't lose you pictures.

No it cant end!!! I miss it too much. Tina's bar was the best let me tell you. We had so many good times on that trip and I will remember Table 32 always.
I know. :sad1: Report over means trip is really over! Table 32 was THE BEST!

You've done a great job on your trip report and I'm so glad that you didn't lose you pictures.
Thanks, Sarah! I'm glad I didn't lose them, too! :woohoo:

Sayhello

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful trip report
and all the great photos :thumbsup2

Great report. We just booked an ABD addon for the Alaska cruise and waiting until my youngest is old enough to make the 14 hour flight to the Mediterranean. I heard a rumor that photos from DCL and ABD are included with the addon. Was this true with your cruise?

Great report. We just booked an ABD addon for the Alaska cruise and waiting until my youngest is old enough to make the 14 hour flight to the Mediterranean. I heard a rumor that photos from DCL and ABD are included with the addon. Was this true with your cruise?
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the Report. It was a fantabulous trip!

And yes, it's not a rumor. The DCL and ABD photos *are* included in the add-on. I was really happy that they did that. Almost all of the character interaction photos I posted (except for the character breakfast) came from the DCL photo CD. And I actually used one of the Shutters portraits as a head shot for an audition I had! I've replied to your post on the "ABD/DCL Rumors" thread with a bit more of the details.

The Alaska add-on looks just wonderful; some really fabulous excursions, and the ABD Guides just really know how to treat you right! I think you're going to really enjoy it. It will make a fabulous trip even more fabulous!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Sayhello

I love all the pics of Barcelona. I'd like to do a trip to Spain someday (in fact if ABD hadn't eliminated their Spain trip I'd probably have been there already). And I'm so glad your pictures were recoverable.

Are you going to post about your Israel trip too?

I love all the pics of Barcelona. I'd like to do a trip to Spain someday (in fact if ABD hadn't eliminated their Spain trip I'd probably have been there already). And I'm so glad your pictures were recoverable.
Thanks! Barcelona was beautiful. I wish I'd allowed more days there. I will definitely need to go back some day. Just stay away from Madrid airport! YUCK!

Are you going to post about your Israel trip too?
Yes! I totally meant to have posted that ages ago! Thanks for the push, I'll try & get that up soon!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter