Trip Report! ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Part 7 - IMAGE INTENSIVE!

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
Day 9 -- Corsica

This morning we docked in Ajaccio, Corsica. Corsica is an island that is considered a region of France. It's also the birthplace of Napoleon. And they are very aware and very proud of that fact. There are several statues of Napoleon around the town. Our first stop was at a lovely plaza overlooking the Sea, with a large statue of -- yes, Napoleon!

P1030131.jpg

As we all started taking pics, guess who came walking across the plaza? Yep! Napoleon! Yes, we all had our pictures taken with Napoleon. He looked pretty good, but the illusion was somewhat spoiled when he answered his cell phone... Ah, well! (I have to admit -- while I love any sort of group photo-op like this, and the weather was GORGEOUS, this particular activity was a little lame. Maybe kids like this sort of thing better? Or maybe the cell phone thing did it for me? Just not the best "special touch" I've seen. But again, seeing how much we all loved any photo-op, we all enjoyed ourselves anyways!)

Photo0804.jpg

Tina & Robyn pose ala Napoleon!

P1030139.jpg

We then got back in our motorcoach, and headed up into the hills above Ajaccio.

We'd been warned that the roads would be twisty & turny. And oh, my gosh, they were! Those of us with motion sickness issues sat near the front of the bus. (There was a lot of jockeying for the front of the bus!) Oi! The bus driver had to do some seriously scary maneuvers with that huge motorcoach on some narrow roads. It took him 5 or 6 passes at least to make this turn...

P1030150.jpg

We made a stop part-way up the hill, as one of the older kids felt seriously car sick. We all piled out of the bus and walked around for a while in the beautifully fresh air.

We got back on the bus, and continued up to the small hill town of Bastelica. Our first stop was in a cute little restaurant in a beautiful setting, where we had some antipasto (and wine for the adults) and Corsican biscuits. I liked the biscuits. They were closer to savory than sweet.

P1030166.jpg

P1030154.jpg

Once we were done there, we boarded a cute little train that took us into town.

P1030169.jpg

We all thought the plaque and name on the train was really cute.

P1030171.jpg

Our first stop in town was the town church. It was a pretty little church, with a lot of very nice stained glass windows.

P1030175.jpg

P1030193.jpg

As we were wandering around the church, taking pictures, looking at the decorations, it seemed that they were piping in some lovely a cappella singing.

(Click! It's a video!)

Suddenly, though, it became obvious that it was *live* music! 3 young Corsican men (OK, 3 young, CUTE Corsican men!) came out from behind the altar. They had been back there, singing. The acoustics in that church were amazing. They came up front; we all sat in the pews, and had a fabulous a cappella concert of beautiful Corsican music, while our local guide translated for us. That was quite a lovely treat! (I had just been capturing the church in that video. Didn't know I was also capturing our entertainment!)

Photo0886.jpg

After the concert, we all trooped back outside and onto the train.

P1030203.jpg

The little train took us up, higher up the hill, and eventually to the Chez Paul, our restaurant for lunch. It was, yet again, a spectacularly gorgeous day. Blue skies, puffy white clouds. When we got out back, we found we were dining on a patio overlooking a beautiful, pastoral landscape. Wonderful!

P1030234.jpg

Lunch was meat in a tomato sauce. Everyone said it was quite tasty; I had to have the sauce-less version. It was also good.

It was wonderful just sitting out on this patio, taking in the views, chatting, etc. This was a really laid-back day, and very refreshing and fun.

P1030249.jpg

P1030235.jpg

P1030229.jpg

P1030248.jpg

My artsy photo...

P1030242.jpg

After lunch, we got back on the motorcoach and headed back down the hill. We passed an area where there were all these burial crypts, both in graveyards and some just by the side of the road. They are apparently pretty common.

P1030258.jpg

We returned to the port with quite some extra time until all aboard. I wandered some of the shops near the port, bought a magnet & some postcards.

For some reason, this Corsican version of Fast Food seemed kind of funny to me!

P1030315.jpg

I continued walking around the port area of Ajaccio, taking in the sights and checking out some shops as I walked.

P1030305.jpg

Heheheh: Statue of guess who?

P1030307.jpg

P1030310.jpg

Continued below:

A courtyard in Ajaccio.

P1030312.jpg

As I wandered, I ended up looking through some shops along this walkway, in what ended up being an alleyway.

P1030311.jpg

The further I walked, the less "populated" it got. For the first time, I actually felt uncomfortable. I don't know if there was really any danger or threat there, but the crowds were suddenly gone, and I was walking in a rather un-populated area. I got out of there pretty quickly, and headed back over to the port, where there was a fair of some sort going on. There were booths with animals, and, inside, a food & wine festival, with free samples, and foodstuffs for sale. That was fun. (Although I found out the hard way that some of the cheeses were nastily strong!)

P1030321.jpg

The Magic in Corsica

P1030290.jpg

P1030299-1.jpg

That night, I had a reservation for Palo, and Jill joined me for dinner. (It turns out pretty much all of table 32 had Palo reservations for that night. It was a good choice, since Corsica seemed less intense for most folks.) We had another very pleasant meal, and, I must admit, I had another chocolate soufflé. :-)

1634925.jpg

When the server found out that the next day was my Birthday, he brought out this lovely treat for me! But somehow, incredibly, I had managed to not bring my camera with me to dinner! So they allowed me to take the plate back to my room with me so I could get a photo. I actually kept it there until the end of the cruise...

q03260.jpg

After dinner, I met up with Sarah, and as we were hanging out, watching some of the photographers, I looked out the window and noticed a most spectacular sunset! I ran out and got some photos of the gorgeous sight. (I'd made sure to grab my camera when I took the plate back to my room!)

q03263.jpg

One of the Shutters photographers was out there taking photos, also. Guess we both knew a great shot when we saw it!

1636099.jpg

The show that night, I believe, was "Walt Disney: The Dream Goes On". It's a newer show, not really a set-intensive show, but nice songs & singers.

q03267.jpg

Today's towel animal.

q03268.jpg

After the show, a few of us went to catch the "Who Wants to be a Mousketeer" game show. (It's amazing how much more I felt like doing stuff after dinner when it didn't end at 10pm!!) Sarah said she had always wanted to be chosen to play. And she was! She did very well, and actually won!

q03272.jpg

After that, it was off to bed.

Tomorrow: Villefranche, Monaco & Monte Carlo!

Continued in Part 8.

Last edited:
Hooray for part 7!! This looks like a lovely day. We're very much looking forward to these "sight-seeing" kinds of days since when we cruise we tend to go for the high activity-level excursions (like swimming with dolphins or jungle treks or kayaking and snorkeling adventures, etc.)----we rarely book the excursions that are just opportunities to "take it in" wherever we are...so this will be a nice change for us!

(Also...I shoudl say that we got our Adventures by Disney booklet for our trip in the mail yesterday. It was a bit underwhelming since it was so small...but at least it was something to make the trip seem more real and so close!! The DVC vacation countdown widget on my laptop screen says I have only 18 days and 5 hours until the day we leave for Orlando for a few days before heading over to Barcelona!!)

This trip looked amazing and a great TR as always.A belated HAPPY BRITHDAY.Can't wait for part 8

Hooray for part 7!! This looks like a lovely day. We're very much looking forward to these "sight-seeing" kinds of days since when we cruise we tend to go for the high activity-level excursions (like swimming with dolphins or jungle treks or kayaking and snorkeling adventures, etc.)----we rarely book the excursions that are just opportunities to "take it in" wherever we are...so this will be a nice change for us!

(Also...I shoudl say that we got our Adventures by Disney booklet for our trip in the mail yesterday. It was a bit underwhelming since it was so small...but at least it was something to make the trip seem more real and so close!! The DVC vacation countdown widget on my laptop screen says I have only 18 days and 5 hours until the day we leave for Orlando for a few days before heading over to Barcelona!!)
Both kinds of activities have their merit. I tend to do some of both if I'm choosing myself. I think you guys will really enjoy the ABD!

I agree, the ABD booklet for the ABD/DCL Med cruise is totally underwhelming (I think I posted that exact same thing when I got mine!) Normal ABD's get a much more detailed booklet. I think they were still working the kinks out of the itinerary when they printed them. Or maybe DCL didn't want us to know too much! :confused3 But yes, it does say "my trip is coming up soon! It's really going to happen!" :yay:

Sayhello

Hooray for part 7 indeed! The singing in that church was incredible!! Your sunset pic also has me lost for words! I have never seen the sun that color!

So glad for the next installment! I mean now that your a big time moderator I am sure its hard squeezing trip reports in your schedule:rotfl::rotfl:

Seriously though thank you its awesome!

I love your posts! Thank you for sharing them. I just forwarded a link to your post about your day in Florence to a friend who is going to be there (just for a day) at the end of the month. She's accompanying her husband on a business trip to Rome (lucky duck) and will take the train to Florence for the day. If you have any additional thoughts/suggestions about such a trip, please let me know and I'll pass them on.

:goodvibes

YEAH!!! You just made our day!!! :yay: What a great report!

We felt the same way about the ABD booklet that we also received this week...

What a better way to spend a birthday but on a cruise vacation!

Thanks for all the work with the report! We really enjoy reading them!!

Hooray for part 7 indeed! The singing in that church was incredible!! Your sunset pic also has me lost for words! I have never seen the sun that color!
Thanks, HG! :woohoo: That sunset was just spectacular! I do so love sunsets!

I was so impressed with the singing at the church. It was totally unexpected, and just a joy!

So glad for the next installment! I mean now that your a big time moderator I am sure its hard squeezing trip reports in your schedule:rotfl::rotfl:
:lmao:

Seriously though thank you its awesome!
Thanks! :love:

Sayhello

I love your posts! Thank you for sharing them. I just forwarded a link to your post about your day in Florence to a friend who is going to be there (just for a day) at the end of the month. She's accompanying her husband on a business trip to Rome (lucky duck) and will take the train to Florence for the day. If you have any additional thoughts/suggestions about such a trip, please let me know and I'll pass them on.

:goodvibes
Thanks, glassslipper! It just blows my mind sometimes how much people seem to enjoy my Reports. It makes it so, so very much worth doing them!

My biggest suggestion, given my experience in Florence, is to get a map ahead of time & mark out exactly where she wants to go. I (obviously) did *not* find it a "wanderable" city. People really love Florence, so there must be some really great areas of it, but I really didn't get to much of them. Although we did seem to cut through some decent shopping areas just outside the Piazza where the Duomo is (the area where the Disney Store is). But, again, I'd suggest doing a lot of research beforehand. Some cities, you can just show up with a vague idea of what you want to see, but Florence does not seem to be one of them.

And she MUST see the David! I can't imagine anyone going to Florence and not doing that.

Sayhello

YEAH!!! You just made our day!!! :yay: What a great report!

We felt the same way about the ABD booklet that we also received this week...

What a better way to spend a birthday but on a cruise vacation!

Thanks for all the work with the report! We really enjoy reading them!!
Thanks, EyeDisneyCruise! Glad to have made your day! :goodvibes Reading comments like yours & the others here really makes it worth the work!

This is the second cruise I've been on for my birthday (Alaska with Princess was the first). I find being on vacation anywhere on my Birthday is a pretty good deal, and I will deliberately try & schedule them so I'm on vacation on the day!

Sayhello

Let me tell you, seeing that picture brought back so many good memories. I had to show my parents, thanks for taking it. Your trip report is so wonderful and even though I saw many of your pictures every night at dinner, I still love your narration of your trip. I don't want the trip report to end.

Table 32 forever!

Let me tell you, seeing that picture brought back so many good memories. I had to show my parents, thanks for taking it. Your trip report is so wonderful and even though I saw many of your pictures every night at dinner, I still love your narration of your trip. I don't want the trip report to end.

Table 32 forever!
Sarah! So glad you liked the pic! I have a couple more, do you want them? :) I do love re-living the memories while writing these Reports. And then, later, I can re-read them, and relive it again!

At this rate, I never may finish it!!! :eek:

Sayhello

This was such a great report!!! You're so awesome for doing that. It looks so amazing and tiring at the same time....makes me think my 5 year old may be wiped out!! Much to consider. Thanks again :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter