Trip Report 7/23-8/1/21 ---Trip of a lifetime with Poppa and Nana and Did We Really Book a Trip

fire616

Mouseketeer
Today travel day.

Dis boards.JPG

How did we get here: Two weeks ago DH and I were discussing if we should head to DL or WDW and then we decided to ask the kids if the "littles" could go with us. We have 5 grandchildren the "olders" are 20 and 17 and the "littles" are 9, 8, and 5. It took a couple of days for my DS to decide if his oldest girl could go. It was decided that the 9 and 8 year olds would go. The 5 year old does not like to stay overnight with others very well yet and wouldn't even stay with us during family reunion 2 weeks ago.

We had decided to not tell the grandkids that we were going to WDW until the day we travel. That was to hopefully not upset the 5 year old.

11 days ago, I started planning, I purchased airline tickets, reserved the hotel and purchased WDW tickets along with SeaWorld tickets. Lots of planning and decisions to be made.

We will be staying at Disney Coronado Springs Resort - this is our first time at CSR.

Yesterday, we asked them if they would like to join us at the beach for 10 days, this was so they wouldn't wonder about the suitcase being packed for them. The 5 year old heard them talking and was upset. We all talked to her about how she would want to go home and it is to far for us to take her home. Finally her dad told her that they were taking her overnight to Portland and to the Portland Zoo and she calmed down.

Was up at 4:00 am this morning to finish packing and getting the gk's special backpacks ready. We got Evie the 5 year old a backpack for her zoo trip and filled it with zoo animals, sunglasses, glow in the dark necklaces, water bottle, and more. We will give this to her later today when we pick up her sister.
Got Paislee and Elijahs backpacks ready to give to them at dinner with their special boarding passes for WDW. They will be getting items to use on the plane and in the parks.

Elijah has called Paislee this morning asking her if she is ready to go to the beach and has called me asking about items he can take to the beach. Elijah lives across the street, so I was summoned over there to approve the items in his suitcase. Told him the pillow couldn't go and the puppies that were trying to get in the suitcase couldn't go with us. He wants to take beach toys and I told him that we could buy new ones once we get to the beach.

Off to finish packing and then I need to take my car to the shop. Going to have it repaired while we are gone - someone hit it during my DD's yard sale last month and then left. Then to wait for DH to get off work so we can get Eli and drive to Portland to pick up Paislee before surprising them with the trip.

Next Up: Surprise we are going to WDW in a few hours!!!

How exciting! What great memories you'll be making. We'll be taking our grandsons who are the same age in November. Can't wait to hear all about it.

As we all know life happens and sometimes we are not able to update

We started our trip by picking DGS (who lives across the street from us). As we leave he tells everyone at their yard sale that he is leaving to go to the beach with us. We have a two hour drive and then we will pick up DGD as she has gone to P-town to go shopping with her parents.

We give our other DGD her gift bags of items for her trip to the zoo - remember she won’t stay the night at our house so we are not taking her this trip.

97ACD070-F4F9-4992-B928-D2F6CF67649D.jpeg

We are headed towards the airport and they have no clue and we have told them we are going to eat before heading to the airport.
After a few minutes of hearing them chatter and being excited about going to the beach DH says “we got this right”.

Next: We tell them where we are actually going!

Last edited:
We went to Red Robin for dinner and there is a 45 minute wait It’s okay since we have 5-6 hours before we need to head to the airport. The hostess was great and gave them their envelopes with the tickets I printed out for them.
Check out their reactions.

Next up:What does DH leave in the truck.

Last edited:

We parked the truck and rode the shuttle to the airport. Arrived at 8:50 with plenty of time before departure. We got through the first checkpoint and DH realizes he doesn’t have his phone and that he left in the truck. At first he says “oh I don’t need it“ and “I am like it is too hot out and your phone will get to hot, I also didn’t want his work calls going to my phone.(Yes I know we’re going on vacation but he always wants to know the numbers for sales.)

I tell him to go back and get it. He doesn’t think he will be able to get back in but TSA agent tells him that as long as he has his ticket that he can come back in.

52F19BCB-85BE-4305-B5C7-2FD23D51CA2B.jpeg

DH helps me get all of our stuff in the tubs and on the conveyor, takes my phone so he can call the shuttle, and heads back to the truck. Sure glad he likes to be at the airport early. The kids and I get through the rest of security, gather our stuff, head down to the gate, to find out our gate was changed.

Since I don’t have my phone I video chat with my daughter using my IPad. I have her call my phone and tell DH that our gate was changed. DH finds his phone and joins us at our gate at 9:20. What an interesting start to our trip.

Our flight is a red-eye from Oregon and the plan is to sleep on the plane. This is DGD first airplane ride since she was an infant and she is excited and nervous.

40FD3B1F-29ED-4110-8B83-49D2BC62D91E.jpeg

We didn’t have seats altogether for the first flight so DGD and I sat together and DGS and DH sat together. That was a good thing because towards the end of our over night flight DGD got leg cramps and I had to rub her legs.

1ED40267-E09A-4DDE-A1A1-80F95F1C362C.jpeg97F21449-0FF7-439A-88D8-8DE6371174B3.jpeg

For the second flight we all got to sit in the same row.

Next up: We arrive in Orlando

Last edited:
What awesome grandparents! You are going to make some amazing memories. Can’t wait to read the rest.

Our Flight left at 11:55 pm and we arrived in Orlando at 11:30 am. We have slept a little bit on the plane and are ready to get to Coronado Springs Resort.

CDB7BD1C-0C30-4FB5-BDE1-FEC4B71C1C19.jpeg
We get on Magic Express and off we go. The GKids took a little nap on the way to CSR.

A1317272-71C7-4976-A967-A10EE7E039D1.jpeg1D8F92B1-A6FD-4FB2-B2BF-509700FB57EE.jpeg
Our room was ready, so we picked up our grocery order and got a ride to our room.

609D0852-0C6E-439F-8F07-140FC5FA6E4D.jpeg
DH and the GKids went to find food while I unpacked. They brought chicken strips and waffle fries back which we all shared. After unpacking and freshening up we head out to share our love of Disney.

Up next: Magic Kingdom

Last edited:
Did I mention love of Disney?
We decided a week ago to go to Disneyland in February 2022. it Has been 7 years since we have been back so we are excited.
We will have 4 park days and will attend a Sweetheart’s Nite. We leave in 50 days.

That video is priceless! Our first grandchild is almost 9 months old. Cannot wait to take him in a few years!!

That video is priceless! Our first grandchild is almost 9 months old. Cannot wait to take him in a few years!!
it was awesome being able to share Disney with them. Our youngest GD who didn’t come with us thinks going to the beach means getting to go to Disney. That might be a little confusing when we take her camping at the beach this spring. We do plan to take her in a few years, once we know she will be comfortable being away from mom and dad.

Magic Kingdom

After unpacking and eating, we were ready to head to MK. We can see the bus stop from our room and it is only a 2 minute walk to get there.
First thing we did was get our picture taken

EE28F356-FAA5-4678-B223-3562F0B31B2C.jpeg
We walked over Adventureland and rode The Magic Carpets of Aladdin, standby was 20 minutes but the wait went fast. DH watched us ride and afterwards we enjoyed getting wet from the spinning statues near Jungle Cruise. Jungle Cruise posted standby was 60 minutes, we got on in 31 minutes. Next we went to PotC and stan said 40 but we were on in about 25 minutes. DGD wasn’t too sure of the drop but they both enjoyed the ride and are excited about riding rides.

Next got in the 75 minute standby line for Splash Mountain. The heat, humidity, and standing in line is beginning to affect us and we are starting to wilt. Only took 55 minutes and we are on the ride.

BB974F15-47CD-49CA-B3C0-B0F03408C0CA.jpeg

We are in the 2 middle rows.
One more ride for today before heading back to our resort.
last ride was BTMR. Only waited 20 minutes of a 30 minute standby. DH didn’t ride. DGS loved it. DGD was like uhhh not so sure.
i think we went back to the room where we got dinner from El Mercado del Coronado.
It’s been a long day but the DGkids want to go swimming and we figure that will help them go to sleep faster.

2A6A2BBE-0FEB-4D89-ABFB-FF1B67B6B5ED.jpeg
Struggling to get in the bed

3B4C1E91-56C8-49CE-BC57-1953A2ADA35C.jpeg

Out like a light

D222FC0F-1B6D-4470-A656-C39757764CFB.jpeg

was able to get under the sheets before falling asleep.
it was a great day and they are both excited about being here, looking forward to the rest of our trip

next: Epcot

Last edited:
EPCOT

Today is EPCOT day

We arrived at EPCOT at 10:10

225731696_4457320424280828_8724992528171309674_n.jpgabc.jpg

I made the shirts - they say Disney is better with Grandkids and Cousins

We headed over to Frozen first and walked through the line to get on. It only took about 10-15 minutes to get through the lines. Next we headed over to Mexico and rode Gran Fiesta Tour. There was no one in line, so they let us stay on and ride it a second time. The DGkids thought that was awesome.

I had orginally booked lunch at Coral Reef and then cancelled in. DH decided he wanted to eat there, so I got on the app and did the walk up reservations and got us a lunch reservation. We had some time before the reservation so we went and Rode Figment and let the DGkids wander around and play.

The DGkids had no idea where we were headed to for lunch, so they got another nice surprise.

DH had the adult Mahi-Mahi and I had the kids Mahi-Mahi
DGkids both had Salmon, Lunch was awesome and we all enjoyed watching all of the action in the tanks. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the different animals in the tank and answered all of Eli's questions. It was nice being able to sit and get out of the heat.

226836108_4457345897611614_1075731157824888475_n.jpg

We then walked over to Living with the Land, where DH took a nap on the ride.

225592640_4457346394278231_6035778555998786651_n.jpg

Onto Soarin' this is a ride I wasn't sure DGD would like but she liked it so much that she wanted to ride it again. The first ride was about a 15 minute wait, so DH sat and watched all of our bags and the DGkids and I rode it a second time. Second time wait time was about 15-20 minutes wait.
Next was Test Track where which we all enjoyed. The DGkids and I also rode Mission in Space - green side. DH gets motion sickness so he doesn't ride all the rides. It was nice having someone else to ride with.

We were at EPCOT for 9 hours and were ready to head back to the room and get some rest.
227232703_4457345827611621_6015719709629218498_n.jpg

DGS took a nap on the bus ride back to the resort.
Next: Animal Kingdom and some rain!!

Animal Kingdom Day

We got a later start then I was hoping for but that was okay. DGD wasn't quite awake when we left to board the bus but did perk up later in the day.
ak.jpg

We arrive just as the park was opening and walked over to Safari. It said it was a 20 minute wait, however it only took about 10 minutes and that was just walking through the que. After Safari we walked through the trail looking at the animals. The kids wanted to ride Safari again so went got back in line. It said standby was 45 minutes but actually 30 minutes. Next was the bird show.
ak3.jpg

We have a Landry's Card, so we walked up to Yak & Yeti and asked for a table. I was told that it would be a 20 minute wait so we were going to go see the gorillas when I got a text 5 minutes later saying our table was ready.

DHD didn't like her chicken fried rice so they brought her white rice. I don't remember what the rest of us ate. Must have been to hungry to take notes.

After lunch we went to the Lion King Show. We just got in and were on the top row, which worked out perfectly because the kids got to stand up to watch.

ak4.jpg

Next we went to Rafiki's Planet Watch where the kids explore the animals while we sat and rested. We explored the Tree of Life while waiting to get into It's Tough to Be a Bug. DH and I have done this show and didn't tell them what to expect, so it was great seeing it in their eyes.

Next was Kali River Rapids, where DH talked to all of the people around him while we waited in line. DGS has been so excited about riding Everest so I took him on that while DGD and DH sat and rested. He thought it was awesome and would have rode it again, if we would have had time. We headed over to Dinosaur and they both wanted to ride it a second time, however it was starting to get late and we wanted to go over to Navi' River.

When we got to Navi' River it stated it is a 55 minute wait. The line began outside of the que and when we were almost inside it began raining.

We were almost to the point where they let the DAS people into the line, when we were stopped. People who were getting off of the ride were not leaving the ride exit due to the rain, so they stopped letting people on the ride. It down poured for a hour. Once the rain started to let up people left the exit and we were able to finish the ride. As soon as we got off of Navi' we hurried over to FofP. We were able to get in line and this was our last ride of the day. DGS bought himself a Simba hat as we were leaving the park.

We were wet but had a great day!

Next up: SeaWorld - will it rain again? Will we ride any rides?

Attachments

• ak2.jpg
    ak2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 4

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter