Trip for Nov. under $2000?

miche61

<font color=purple>lovely lunch lady<br><font colo
I'm trying to figure out if it is doable.

Details:

Me, DD11, DD8, DS8
$730 Fly out of MSP to MCO
$250 Stay 4 nights (nov. 5-9) All Stars, or Pop
Rent car/ or limo, etc
I have 1 AP for me.
Need 3 HPs for kiddos.

When we went in Jan. with DH, we spent only $50/day on food. We're very good at splitting meals. I have $1200 saved, could probably find the extra $800 by Nov.

Help! My AP is burning a big hole in my pocket!!!!

Do you want more info?
Michelle

You could get your airfare down to $688 or less if you're flexible with your flying times. Hotwire has it right now for $172 per person (that includes taxes and fees). You could go to priceline and bid for lower than that and I bet you'd get it. That would save you a little on that. Are you sure you can get those hotels at that rate in Nov?

The hotel prices I checked on Disney.com for those. I am thinking about looking at Dec. 3-7 instead.

The airfare I found for 178 on travelocity.

Any helps is appreciated.

If you have an AP, the AP room rates are less than the general public discount rate. If you can get them, Value Resort rooms are going for $49/night ($220.50 or less for 4 nights with tax, depending on which Value you choose).

Use an Entertainment book coupon and Mousesaver.com codes to get a good deal on a 5-day rental car. I was able to find an intermediate size car from National for $118+ for your dates just by plugging the Priceless Vacation code in along with the Entertainment $20 off coupon code.

I'm not sure what kinds of PHs you're looking for (3-day PHs with DQ?, 4-day PHs?, 4-day PHPS?). The best deal would be dependent on what you want to buy. 3-day PH w/DQ or 4-day PH can be had for the best prices at DiscountOrlandoVacation.com . The best price for 4-day PHPs would be from HotwireSavingsClub.com . Cost of 1-adult and 2 child 4-day PHPs at Hotwire would be $544.46.

If you've fed a family of 5 on $50/day during your last trip, then you should be giving me hints on how to stretch that food budget. We (a family of 4) just can't seem to do it for less than $100!

To me, it looks like you could do it for under $2000 as long as you can keep the food budget around $300 for the trip. Good luck.

Okay, I am into this big time:

Here's what I have figured out.

707 Airfare, Airtran
250 All Star Music (checked on web site for availability)
425 passes (one day adding on two extra at gates per
mousesavers- I already have my AP)
120 National Car (code from mousesavers, entertainment)
400 food for four of us (small eaters, good at sharing)
--------
1902!!!!

DH thought it was an okay plan, the kids are in on it. They would even give up the state fair to go! Should I or shouldn't I? I know I could use the money elsewhere, but the kids are getting older, and I'm afraid the magic will be gone by the time we had our next trip planned in 2007.

I know I could probably save little more $ with my AP, I just haven't called yet.

Michelle

I say go-- if it's not going to create a financial hardship for you-- then do it. I think for the short trip you are going-- looks like $2000.00 should do it. I don't spend much more than that for our family of 3 to go for 7 days.

I am in the "Go Go Go" Club lol, if you can do it without creating financial hardship or strain then GO! Have a great time and create great memories ::yes:: ! I also reside in the live for today club (although I am striving to also work towards a better tomorrow lol :teeth: ) Enjoy, and please give us your tips on feeding your family of 5 on $50/day I am impressed!

Kelly

tweetylori- the Sun Country fare I found for that price is for one day only, depart and return same day.

I think we probably actually spent around 65-75/ day on food. We had some pop tarts, muffins, fruit from the store in our room. Then when we ate at the parks, we shared 2-3 meals, our pop, and ordered a cup of ice water. We brought our own water bottles, and had some small snacks in fanny packs- fruit chewies, crackers, etc. We aren't really big eaters on vacation. If we eat late enough lunch, we aren't very hungry at night. We also ordered off the kids' menu for DD11 and I to share. The kids loved the fixin' bar too.

I called today and got an AP rate of 220 something for All Star Music. I'm just going to re-check airfare.

I told the kids that Christmas gifts would only be from Santa this year if we went. They were okay with that. I also said I'd have to work a little extra and they were also okay with that.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!! I'm just trying to believe that I'm actually doing this, DH is out of town, so I can't bounce ideas off him, so you guys are helping a lot!
Michelle

Doesn't it start to snow in Minnesota in November??? I say go and have a warm memory for the rest of the season :sunny: :teeth:

Originally posted by miche61
Okay, I am into this big time:

Here's what I have figured out.

707 Airfare, Airtran
250 All Star Music (checked on web site for availability)
425 passes (one day adding on two extra at gates per
mousesavers- I already have my AP)

120 National Car (code from mousesavers, entertainment)
400 food for four of us (small eaters, good at sharing)
--------
1902!!!!

Just a thought here, and I'm not sure that I'm entirely correct: But can you use a pass with one day left to get a "3-day PH"?

I was under the impression that you could purchase whatever ticket media is available at the gate and apply the value of the remaining days to that purchase. But the type of pass that you want to purchase must be what's offered at the gate (ie 4-day PH, 5-day PHP, etc.).

Let's say that the pass that you currently hold is a 4-day PH purchased from Disney. There's one day left on it. You could only "upgrade" that pass to a 6-day PHP (giving you 3 days and a plus) if you had done it within 7 days of the first use. Since that window of opportunity has come and gone, your only option would be to apply the "value" of that remaining day to the cost of a new pass. The passes that are available for purchase at the gate would be at least 4-day PHs.

This really is a question for Golden Oldie! I hope she's out there reading!

madforthemouse- I'm not too sure how that would work out.

But, I am shaking as I type this. I have made our plane ressies!! I can't believe I'm actually doing this. All of our trips before have been planned at LEAST a year in advance! This is only 68 days in advance!!!

Wish me luck! I have to save, save and save!

I'm going to go through the house and look for garage sale items.

Thanks for the support everyone!
MIchelle

If it was me I would forego the car rental and just get a towncar. Should come in a little cheaper and would be less hassle.

tmli- I just booked my rental car. I got a mid-size for $98. I know I'll have to pay for gas, but I think that's a good deal.

I still can't believe we're going!

I only have to save money for food!!!

Good for you, Miche61! The trips "on the fly" have been the best ones! I planned one in five weeks in 2003 with the Fairytale Package and we had a wonderful time! Like you, I kept saying I couldn't believe I did that.

We also usually keep our food budget very low by eating at counter service and doing all the things you mentioned. If you're going to AK, be sure to check out the meal deal if you're not already aware of it. That saved us a lot of money!

And for those of you who have never lived in Minnesota, sometimes it starts to snow here in mid-September.:eek:

I can't believe I'm actually doing this. All of our trips before have been planned at LEAST a year in advance! This is only 68 days in advance!!!

Last minute trips are some of the best. This thought is coming from someone who has no patience to wait a year for a trip. I just booked my trip tonight (about an hr ago)-- it's exactly 1 month from today. Guess I gotta try and score some PS's in the a.m. :D .

My kids are so excited! This is the first time in years that they have known when the trip was coming! We have surprised them the last three times we've gone.

DH will not be coming with us this time though, that's the only not so exciting part of the trip. We'll miss him.

Now I'm at a loss for what to do about planning. I did all my planning with in one hour, usually I take a year. I've got the air, the hotel, the car, and I know what we're doing for passes. We're not doing any PSs. I think we're just laying low saving for the food portion of our trip.

Yes, Minnesota does get cold and snowy by Nov. Makes us appreciate Florida a lot more.

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone!!! We're counting the days!

Michelle
Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

Our first Family vacation to Walt Disney World in November 2004
also!
We decided to drive 21 hours) because the cost of a flight down was between $800-1000 2 adults 2 children ( I checked alot of sites too)

We are saving that ,as well as the cost of a car rental.....

So if you can manage to drive...that may save...$$$$$

Hope that helps......

Sounds like you're doing really well...good luck finding stuff for a garage sale! That could be a great way to earn a few extra $$ for a special meal, at least! Don't forget some of the other great money saving tips from this board, like having quick breakfasts in the room (you'll be able to make a grocery stop if you rent a car), and carrying your own water to the parks if you don't like the water there. We are trying the Brita bottles on our next trip, which could be as soon as...

NEXT WEEK! :hyper: :bounce: :hyper: :bounce:

We'll know by today if DH's HR dept approves this quick vacation...we had some friends give us a free resort week in Orlando they can't use, if we could use it! I can't bear to see it go to waste...;) . Fortunately, DH has been doing major OT lately and we can manage this unexpected tight budget trip.

Anyway, I share your excitement! Have fun!! :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter