• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Traveling with infant twins -- questions!

overboard

Earning My Ears
We will be embarking on our 3rd Disney Cruise Nov. of '06. At that time, our as yet unborn twins will be 6 months old. Crazy, I know -- but this is an every-other year trip with my husband's family and of course, we wouldn't miss it for the world!!
I'm looking for any suggestions on strollers (are they rentals on-board or "borrow" with a deposit?), other amenities DCL may offer parents of infants, and any general travel experiences with infants.
As this is a recurring trip and I know we'll be back, I'm not planning to do much more than just enjoy being with family. Thus, I'm planning with survival in mind. Our first was a Land & Sea with a fussy 1 1/2 year old; surely this has got to be easier!
I know there's an old thread somewhere on traveling with infants but I thought I'd start anew with my own topic.
TIA!

there are strollers on board you can borrow..they charge 100.00 to your room account but refund it once you return the stroller.

As a mother of twins (I have survived to see DSs to age 12, so I didn't do DCL when they were infants), I think the OP needs more advice than one post! First, does anyone know if the strollers you can get onboard are double? Would it be easier to bring a double umbrella stroller - great for tigher spaces

Remember you can request a diaper geni for your room.

If you aren't nursing, bring plenty of formula since what is onboard may not be the preferred kind and is very expensive, same with diapers - you may want to consider shipping a box of diapers to the port ahead of time

Other suggestions - come on, MOTs, where are our tips???

Barb

PS Honestly, I think you are one amazing mom to consider a cruise - at six months I was just about forming coherent sentences again - twice the work on half the sleep!

I haven't seen anyone post about being able to get a double stroller from the ship. They have upgraded them recently & the deposit has increased. Hope that you have a great time!

I didn't see any double strollers when they opened the door to bring mine out but either way just remember the elevators are SMALL...WAY SMALL...one double stroller would take up 90 percent of it!

I would recommend a double stroller that isn't side by side. A double or 2 singles don't really make a difference space wise and at 6 months old you will need them for the kiddos. :) A double makes sure that you get on the same elevator. ;) Avoid the mid ship elevators. The others don't seem to be as busy so you wont have to wait as long to get on.

Our twins were 3 when we cruised we brought our own double stroller (side by side) and it stored in the closet of our cabin just fine. We did DW for the first time with them when they were 7 1/2 months. We went with family and it was fine. The hardest part for me was I pumped instead of nursing (it was faster there was always someone to had a baby and bottle to) I just didn't lug it around the parks. So I felt like I needed to get back to the room. The twins were fine. My advice is to make sure you have 2 baby bjorns or something similar. At home we rarely used them but on our trip to DW they were great. Even my nephews 8 and 9 could carry them for a few minutes. It's a better age then 1 1/2. We also went to DW at 20 months (and 2 years and 3 years). 20 months was the worst times 2. At 6 months they should be napping and sleeping through the night. We finally felt human again. It was our honeymoon period. And they are old enough to put sunsreen on and go in the ear of the Mickey pool. Our DS & DD loved the Beach Club pool at 7 1/2 months. If your DH family will help work out some time for yourself Before you go ask them to commit to a day and time they will watch the kids. Good luck. You can do more than survive you can have fun.

overboard said:
We will be embarking on our 3rd Disney Cruise Nov. of '06. At that time, our as yet unborn twins will be 6 months old. Crazy, I know -- but this is an every-other year trip with my husband's family and of course, we wouldn't miss it for the world!!
I'm looking for any suggestions on strollers (are they rentals on-board or "borrow" with a deposit?), other amenities DCL may offer parents of infants, and any general travel experiences with infants.
As this is a recurring trip and I know we'll be back, I'm not planning to do much more than just enjoy being with family. Thus, I'm planning with survival in mind. Our first was a Land & Sea with a fussy 1 1/2 year old; surely this has got to be easier!
I know there's an old thread somewhere on traveling with infants but I thought I'd start anew with my own topic.
TIA!

Please join all of us parents of multiples on the "Traveling with Multiples Thread", you get alot of experienced advice there!!!! :banana:

We traveled on the magic when our twins were six months and we did fine with a side by side double.

It is our Peg Perego Aria Twin. Very light weight and very narrow. It gets through a standard doorway and doesnt take up much room (I think it weighs 12 pounds). Reclines nicely and was very easy to take in the restaurants for dinner, etc. Navigated in the halls and elevators VERY easily. Folds pretty flat and carries with one hand.

Not big and bulky like typical side by sides and not heavy like front to backs.

The disney stroller are singles and dealing with two of them all week would have been a hassle. I also dont recommend umbrella strollers unless they have a little recline because your babies will probably nap some and that will be a pain in the umbrella strollers.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

I am not lucky enough to have twins, but we previously cruised with a 15 month old and will cruise with a 13 month old in December. We had no problems with the single stroller we rented from DCL, but I know that the double strollers we've owned (we've owned over 4 different brands over the years) would not have fit. I agree that a double umbrella isn't a good idea for that age because they'll want to sleep. Could you just rent two singles? That way you could sometimes put them in separate strollers, sometimes put both in one (sometimes they fit), and sometimes use a baby bjorn for one and stroller for the other, and other times use two baby bjorns or a double baby carrier.

It's nice to cruise with family. We will again travel with my parents and sister and add my sister and her family to our group in December. Since you will have family there, try to get someone to watch the kids so you and DH can spend some alone time for Palo, fitness/spa time, etc. We didn't put our youngest in Flounder's reef; grandma or auntie were both willing to watch the baby for a bit. Our family lives 600 miles away from us (military family), so they use cruise time as time to spend with all of us and enjoy the time with the grandkids. One of the best pictures I have is Dad's photo of our then-youngest and his encounter with Mickey on Deck 9. I didn't think they'd do much with him, but they stood in line with him to see Mickey, took him to the pool, etc.

They'll probably be just old enough to eat cereal and possibly veggies and fruits, so bring enough food for them, unless Disney offers baby food. No idea on that, as my youngest ate regular food. I'm not sure about this youngest now, as he'll only be 13 months old, but I'm sure Disney can accomodate some things.

You've got the right attitude; have fun, slow family time. If you plan any excursions, don't plan any that will be too strenuous. Remember sunscreen for babies and baby hats and cover up stuff (I just bought a cute set for DS at Target).

I don't have twins, but I went on a 4 day with my girls and they are 13 months apart. My younger DD was 11 months (not walking or crawling) and my older had just turned 2 the week before. We brought our front/back Graco double stroller even though lots of people here advised against it. I didn't have one single problem with the stroller and it did fit in the very crowded elevators and in the dining room at our table. Sometimes we did have to wait for an elevator that had room, but most times people were gracious enough to make room. At six months old, I would recommend whichever stroller you can put your infant carriers in so if they are sleeping you can still walk around and do things on the ship. And when you aren't using your stroller, the tub makes a great out of the way storage location!

The travelling with twins thread sounds like great advice. But now that you've brought up the subject, I just need to throw in MY experience :rolleyes1 :rolleyes:

We rented a beach house with family/friends for a week when our twins were 3 months old (and older brother was 4 1/2). Hey, I'm usually up for anything, but I must admit, it was no vacation for me (even though DH was truly 110% co-parent!). The weather was terrible all week, forcing us to stay mainly indoors. I was nursing and just plain exhausted. (btw, twins don't always sleep on the same schedule! :crazy: ] Our co-vacationers were busy trying to enjoy their vacation with their own kids.

LOL - 9 years later and I'm still venting about that vacation! Let me try to be more constructive, less complaining: Be prepared to be exhausted; twins (plus an older sibling!) are so much fun, but that first, sleepless full year is just a fog. The good news is that you have already sailed with DCL, so you know all they have to offer and can plan ahead what will work for your family. If you are expecting DH's family to pitch in with baby care, you should have a friendly dialogue with them about this soon. You stated you just want to enjoy being with family, but the twins may not be as mobile as you think and you may find your are left on your own a little more than anticipated (For instance, you inlaws may choose the quieter adult pool, while you are splashing in the Mickey pool).

I know this all sounds negative - sorry! I don't mean it to! I really loved that crazy first year. I used to hate when strangers would stop me and say "oh I have twins, don't worry, it gets better"! I resented that, thinking it was all going just fine (and it was!). But yes, it was AFTER the year went by that I felt "Whoa! what just happened?!" I had been too exhausted to realize how exhausted I was! (and yes, it did get "better") :love:

Good Luck and enjoy this special time! :love:

Thanks so much for all of your input -- positive and brutally honest alike! I'm hearing quite a bit about strollers, diapers, feeding, etc. and I so appreciate everyone's sharing. I do, however, think that just knowing others have done this makes a big difference. We were booked on a June '06 cruise but our family would not hear of leaving us behind while they went cruising soooooo, I feel that since they rescheduled (all 24 of them!!!!!) for our family, we need to go and make the best of what others would consider an insane attempt at a vacation. Fortunately I am a planner at heart and any amount of pre-planning and/or thinking (I'm not sure how much of that will happen after June!) will certainly help my psyche.
And, as I think about how much work that 10 day trip will be, I remind myself, again and again, we'll be back!!!

congrats on your upcoming birth, What a blessing. I do not have twins but I have gone to DW with my oldest who at the time was 10 months old.

My advice is too just enjoy it because it goes so fast.

By the way when is your cruise. We are going in Nov also.

I also want to give thanks for the multiples thread. I will be taking my twins on the DCL when they are about 2 years old so this is really helpful. Unfortunately, we won't be going for another year and a half...not counting though!!!

Cindalu --
We'll be on the Magic over Thanksgiving. We've always done Christmas cruises in the past so this will feel a bit strange to board without the decorations ready and waiting for us! I know most will go up while we're onboard. What are your cruise dates?

Overboard,
It sounds like you are on the cruise before us. We leave Nov. 25. Save a seat for me on the ship okay.

Have a great day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter