Travel insurance question--happy with the Disney insurance?

GeneMachine

Mouseketeer
Anyone purchased travel insurance through Disney? Are there better policies out there? I read through the Disney one and it seems serviceable; my only concern is that dh might have a change in his work schedule requiring a cancellation and Disney does not cover that.

Does anyone have any recommendations for travel insurance? Has the Disney one been sufficient for those who have needed it, or are there more comprehensive policies that are competitive?

Thanks!

The advantage to DCL insurance is that it essentially becomes "cancel for any reason" coverage because if the Access America insurance rejects your claim, DCL will apply your cost toward another cruise. The disadvantages are no pre-existing condition coverage, generally more costly, etc.

Go to insuremytrip.com. We like Worldwide Trip Protector and Travel Guard Protect Assist--both have been recommended by TAs. We had a small claim on Worldwide--very easy to deal with them.

Anyone purchased travel insurance through Disney? Are there better policies out there? I read through the Disney one and it seems serviceable; my only concern is that dh might have a change in his work schedule requiring a cancellation and Disney does not cover that.

Does anyone have any recommendations for travel insurance? Has the Disney one been sufficient for those who have needed it, or are there more comprehensive policies that are competitive?

Thanks!

I don't recommend Disney insurance. If you get it, you need to make sure that you, your famly, all of your traveling companions, parents, and relatives are totally healthy, because if any of them get sick, and has a pre-existing condtion that doesn't work with the lookback period, you are out the cost of your cruise. It's a bad bet, in my book. Some think that the fact that, with DCL insurance, denied claims will still allow you to put the value of your lost cruise towards a different cruise offsets this fact; I don't. One serious on-ship emergency that results in a port evacuation would dwarf the cost of a cruise.

If you, or one of your traveling companions, is a veteran or an active or reserve serviceperson, I would recommend purchase Travel Insured's Worldwide Trip Protector (not Lite--again, no pre-existing coverage is a deal breaker, as far as I'm concerned). or the Worldwide Gold, if you're more than 21 days out, so you get pre-existing conditions protection and protection from deployments for active and reserve servicepeople. You want to get this through http://www.usaa.com --they give you a discount.

If this is not the case with you, I would recommend either http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/ , http://www.insuremytrip.com , or http://www.squaremouth.com . They all have good policies--FWIW, on another board, another poster mentioned that he or she had a good experience with Travel Insured's Worldwide Trip Protector paying out on a claim--I've bought the policy, but thankfully, I've never needed to collect on it--but we came scary close on our last cruise. In general, all of these providers offer better coverage for less money than Disney.

If you're worried about having to reschedule, you might want to find a policy that offers Cancel for Work Reasons or Cancel for Any Reason--they are considerably more expensive, but might work better for you.

If you have kids, you might want to use Travel Insured or Access America because they will insure your kids for free--but be careful to insure the adults for the adult price, and don't just divide the trip price by the number of people.

Still, whichever insurance you choose, I hope you have a great trip and never have cause to use it :goodvibes

Worldwide Trip Protector also offers one free child policy with each adult policy purchased.

I had a small medical claim on this policy--very good, quick service. Granted, it was for a single medical center visit; about the same cost as the insurance policy...but they were very easy to deal with.

I'm going to purchase through insuremytrip.com. I'm looking at a policy through travelex. It has a comprehensive list of cancellation reasons that are covered including a change in work schedule. Plus it has the shortest pre existing condition period at 60 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter