Travel Insurance-Medical, Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption

Lorna7

Earning My Ears
Hi Fellow Canadians,

I hope I've posted this in the right place??
I am hoping/planning on going back to Walt Disney World - hopefully early 2023, and I'm wondering what insurances out there will now cover Canadians for C-19 or heaven forbid another pandemic occurs? ):
I know 2023 is down the road a ways, but I'm a pre-planner and researcher. :-)
I see all kinds of insurances but I can't seem to find one that covers for C-19, etc. Actually I found one that will cover for Medical but they don't do Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption. (Not sure if I'm allowed to say the name - this board posting is fairly new to me). - And I would definitely want Medical, Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption coverage to be on the safe side.
Thanks in advance for your help!

I usually use Blue Cross. And I just received a letter from them advertising they now cover Covid if you’re fully vaccinated.
MediPac also covers Covid

I usually use Blue Cross. And I just received a letter from them advertising they now cover Covid if you’re fully vaccinated.
Thank you. Medipac was the one I knew about, but they do not cover Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption. Does Blue Cross cover for Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption?

Thanks again!

Thank you. Medipac was the one I knew about, but they do not cover Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption. Does Blue Cross cover for Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption?

Thanks again!
Yes they do, but think you have to get that right after you book flights. or they don’t sell it to you. It’s a bit weird. So I end up buying a separate Trip Interruption policy from CAA.

Another worth mention is Tour + Med they had good coverage and good price. Not sure about trip cancellation.

On the Blue Cross website it says they don't cover for Covid for Trip Cancellation/Interruption. Maybe they just haven't updated their website?? When did they send you the letter? Thanks again!

On the Blue Cross website it says they don't cover for Covid for Trip Cancellation/Interruption. Maybe they just haven't updated their website?? When did they send you the letter? Thanks again!
I got letter last week, it was for Travel Medical.

I used to work in the travel insurance industry. When looking for insurance, please make certain you read any pre-existing condition clauses as well as how much you are actually covered for. Many airlines here were giving $200,000 coverage with a booking but that isn’t much if you were hospitalized out of country for any length of time.

Hi again,
I have another question. . . .
If someone is on their Walt Disney World holiday, and heaven forbid they have to cut short/interrupt their holiday and go home early due to an emergency, what does Disney do?
For example, if a person's holiday is 7 days long and they have to leave after 3 days, what happens to the remaining 4 days? Does Disney give a refund, or are those remaining days kept for a future holiday? - Meaning, if the future holiday is 7 days in length, would you only have to pay for 3 days as the 4 are carried over from the previous trip?
I hope I didn't make this too confusing, I know what I'm thinking and trying to say, I just hope it came out clearly.
Thanks again, everyone!

Hi again,
I have another question. . . .
If someone is on their Walt Disney World holiday, and heaven forbid they have to cut short/interrupt their holiday and go home early due to an emergency, what does Disney do?
For example, if a person's holiday is 7 days long and they have to leave after 3 days, what happens to the remaining 4 days? Does Disney give a refund, or are those remaining days kept for a future holiday? - Meaning, if the future holiday is 7 days in length, would you only have to pay for 3 days as the 4 are carried over from the previous trip?
I hope I didn't make this too confusing, I know what I'm thinking and trying to say, I just hope it came out clearly.
Thanks again, everyone!

You have to look at whatever the policies are for changes to your reservation. Usually there will be a fee or penalty. Travel interruption insurance is used for this reason. You still need to make sure you are covered properly - if you have pre existing conditions that caused you to have to leave you wouldn’t be covered unless you fit all of the pre existing clause terms.

As well, make sure you check if your policy requires there be no government travel advisories in effect. If there is, you may not be covered at all.

You have to look at whatever the policies are for changes to your reservation. Usually there will be a fee or penalty. Travel interruption insurance is used for this reason. You still need to make sure you are covered properly - if you have pre existing conditions that caused you to have to leave you wouldn’t be covered unless you fit all of the pre existing clause terms.

As well, make sure you check if your policy requires there be no government travel advisories in effect. If there is, you may not be covered at all.
I have no medical issues or health problems, thank goodness.
Sorry, but I'm not wondering about personal insurance that I would get, I was wondering about Disney's policy.
I know Disney has a good cancellation policy if someone had to cancel their trip beforehand, but I was wondering what Disney does if someone had to leave their holiday early due to an unexpected emergency? What happens to the unused days - 1. Are they refunded, 2. Kept and tacked onto a future holiday, or 3. Are they lost?
Thanks again!

I have no medical issues or health problems, thank goodness.
Sorry, but I'm not wondering about personal insurance that I would get, I was wondering about Disney's policy.
I know Disney has a good cancellation policy if someone had to cancel their trip beforehand, but I was wondering what Disney does if someone had to leave their holiday early due to an unexpected emergency? What happens to the unused days - 1. Are they refunded, 2. Kept and tacked onto a future holiday, or 3. Are they lost?
Thanks again!
best to go in eyes wide open and expect the same treatment from anywhere else - leave early and you get nothing back, in fact some hotel bookings elsewhere state that if you change the length of stay you might be charged more! Non-expiring tickets went the way of the dodo bird years ago meaning once you use the first day you have a specified number of days to use all that you bought (not a simple set term anymore, dependant on the type of ticket)

now being Disney you might run into the right cast member in a good mood who will sprinkle some pixie dust depending on the circumstances but don't count on it. The reports from people who were there when the entire resort was closed varies widely from remaining days left in their accounts, refunded completely or no compensation at all. Most but not all reported getting the hard ticketed after hours events refunded and everyone was supposed to not get charged for missed dining reservations but some people had to fight for this.

me? I wouldn't expect anything from Disney proper, that's what trip interruption insurance is for and we always buy that.

I wouldn't expect anything from Disney proper, that's what trip interruption insurance is for and we always buy that.

I was wondering about that. Let's say I buy Xmas DAH/party tickets and we can't travel and Disney won't refund me. Can I put a claim through insurance for the cost of the tickets?

I was wondering about that. Let's say I buy Xmas DAH/party tickets and we can't travel and Disney won't refund me. Can I put a claim through insurance for the cost of the tickets?
This *might* qualify for some Pixie Dust if you get the right cast member - clearly you can't attend the party if we're still not supposed to travel internationally (NO we're not taking this tread off topic but it would hold more weight if there's still a travel advisory on the Canadian website like there is now -- even though it will soon be *possible* to travel stateside with fewer restrictions it still says don't)

I'd think once the advisory is gone you will be stuck with a loss on those tickets. My thoughts on any insurance is that if you book something while we are still under an advisory against travelling you won't be covered? I'm not even claiming to have any documented proof of this but just my opinion. If we are able to travel and something that's included in your policy makes it impossible to make your trip then perhaps it would cover the tickets since they are sold as non-refundable.

I can't see anything Christmas-related being announced until July and sold until August, so hopefully there will be more phases introduced by then by the Govt. But I might just have to take a chance and buy them anyways at that point. At least the money isn't from our actual family budget, but "free" from points/miles.
But....I like pixie dust :)

Hi Fellow Canadians,

I hope I've posted this in the right place??
I am hoping/planning on going back to Walt Disney World - hopefully early 2023, and I'm wondering what insurances out there will now cover Canadians for C-19 or heaven forbid another pandemic occurs? ):
I know 2023 is down the road a ways, but I'm a pre-planner and researcher. :-)
I see all kinds of insurances but I can't seem to find one that covers for C-19, etc. Actually I found one that will cover for Medical but they don't do Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption. (Not sure if I'm allowed to say the name - this board posting is fairly new to me). - And I would definitely want Medical, Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption coverage to be on the safe side.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi,

I would suggest speaking with a Travel Agent for verified current information on coverage. The other plans mentioned are good also, but you have to really look at what is paid/covered. With regards to non-medical coverage, look for plans that pay you actual cash and not just a future travel credit.

Hope this helps!

I just received this from my work insurance (Blue Cross):

The Government of Canada is warning to avoid all non-essential travel outside Canada remains in place and we continue to view this as the essential point of reference with respect to travel safety.

Any plan members with travel coverage should carefully consider the following:

1. All standard Medavie Blue Cross travel plans will now cover eligible emergency hospital and medical expenses related to COVID-19, subject to existing maximums and all other terms, conditions and limitations of your policy.
To qualify for coverage, before departure you must:
  • Be symptom free
  • Have not tested positive (or be awaiting a test result), and
  • Have not been in contact with anyone who tested positive in the last 14 days.
Please note: due to the impact of COVID-19 on health and travel resources in foreign countries, although we will endeavor to provide access to health resources in case of an emergency, we may be limited in the support that can be accessed.
2. Medavie Blue Cross travel insurance does not cover:
  • Any COVID-19 testing, including those required by governments to re-enter the country
  • Any costs related to delays caused by testing requirements
  • Any costs related to quarantines, including those mandated by governments.
If you do opt to travel internationally during this period, we recommend you carefully review the guidance available at travel.gc.ca around international travel and requirements around returning to Canada, and to regularly check the site for any new or updated information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter