Travel: Flying in Day of Sail

Jessika

'Nobody tells me. Nobody keeps me informed. I mak
I did SOME research before booking my cruise, but apparently not enough reading of these boards. When I booked, I booked my flight through Disney, which brings us in the same day as the cruise. Now, I'm reading that that's a bad idea?:eek:

I have lots of time to change it, as our cruise isn't until December, so what are your suggestions? I would prefer to stick with Disney so that I am guaranteed to get on board the ship. I will be travelling by myself with my sons who will be 8 & 9.

Is travelling the day of the cruise really as bad as everyone is making it sound? I don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

HELP! Suggestions??

The problem with flying in the day of the cruise is that major delays or cancelled flights will result in your missing the ship. Even if you book through Disney they won't hold the ship a long time, so with a major delay you are not guaranteed to board that day, but they will assist you in getting to the ship when it reaches port apparently. With a three night cruise that means you miss at least a third of it. And if you don't have passports, you aren't going to be able to fly to a foreign port to meet the ship.

The problem with flying in the day of the cruise is that major delays or cancelled flights will result in your missing the ship. Even if you book through Disney they won't hold the ship a long time, so with a major delay you are not guaranteed to board that day, but they will assist you in getting to the ship when it reaches port apparently. With a three night cruise that means you miss at least a third of it. And if you don't have passports, you aren't going to be able to fly to a foreign port to meet the ship.

Does anyone know if I can call DCL directly and change my flight to the day before and just add a hotel/resort stay (no park)??

I think the time of year also makes a difference. In the winter months, we always make sure that we fly in the day before because of weather delays (we are coming from the north).

For us, I am a stresser, so I don't want to start my vacation worrying about getting there in time, so it is worth spending the money on a hotel for the night before just so we start out vacation on a calm note. I start waiting for deals at an MCO area hotel and ususally get a rate for $89 or so a night.

Personally, I would not fly in the day of the cruise, especially in December. Since you haven't reached your paid in full date yet, you can cancel the Disney air and book your own. If you want to stick with the Disney air, they have a "deviation" policy that will allow you to request a flight the day before. There is an extra charge, but I'm not sure of the amount.

I would suggest giving them a call to find out the amount and then start doing some online shopping for flights to compare the total cost.

I don't think you can add a hotel stay as part of your cruise reservation. I believe you have to book the hotel stay separately and arrange through DCL for ground transfers from the hotel if you make that room reservation at a Disney resort. What many guests do is book a room near the airport, at a hotel that provides shuttle service, then take the shuttle back to the airport on cruise day and board the DCL bus at the airport.

I noticed you will be flying from Wisconsin, in December? I would try to change your flight. Coming from the north, in winter, near holiday season.....why take the risk? :confused3 Fly in the day before so that you and your children are rested and in good spirits before getting on the ship. :woohoo:You don't want to be travel weary at the beginning of your vacation...save that for the end! :rotfl2:
Hope this helps and have a great trip!:wizard:
Michelle

We decided to fly in the same day but we choose a flight that arrives at 9:30 in Florida giving us lots of time for delays....and we have travel insurance just incase.

Thank you everyone. I just want everything to be perfect. This is our first vacation and I want to do it right.

I know you can add a hotel the night before via DCL - friends of mine from Madison, WI have done this for thier next cruise - DCL added a night at the Hyatt at MCO to thier cruise reservation.

Of course adding air and hotel via DCL is more costly than bookiing it yourself.

Yes, you can add a room through DCL, but you get no discounts for a room. Sometimes you can get a room cheaper if you book it yourself.

okay. I am thinking I have to call DCL today and see exactly what my options are. I understand adding a hotel through them may be more expensive (and I don't have money to waste) but since this is my first vacation, I don't want to risk ANYTHING going wrong. Planning my own travel might save me some money initially but I think it will add to the stress and could ultimately cost me more money.

It really is easy to book on your own and will be cheaper.

Fly into Orlando (MCO)

Book a hotel in the Hyatt inside of MCO

Book Disney Transfers to Ship round trip

When you land your hotel will be in the same building.

THe next morning you will get up and go downstairs to the Disney Desk and check in and hop on bus that will take you to port.

Way to risky flying in the same day in the winter.

I think the time of year also makes a difference. In the winter months, we always make sure that we fly in the day before because of weather delays (we are coming from the north).

For us, I am a stresser, so I don't want to start my vacation worrying about getting there in time, so it is worth spending the money on a hotel for the night before just so we start out vacation on a calm note. I start waiting for deals at an MCO area hotel and ususally get a rate for $89 or so a night.

Same here :thumbsup2:thumbsup2
Except we use some DVC points and stay at WDW.
It makes the boarding day more relaxed

Ummm....Wisconsin....December....there is this white stuff that can land on the ground and keep planes from flying.:rotfl:

OK, booking air thru DCL does NOT mean that you will make it to the ship. It means that they will monitor your flight and know where you are. Yes, we have seen them hold the ship for an hour or so while they rush someone up to the terminal and on board. But if you are sitting at a Chicago airport in ice, that ship is leaving without you no matter who booked your flight.

Morning of = get up well before dawn, get to the airport slightly frazzled already. If you are lucky, you have a non-stop flight (we're usually not that lucky). Arrive at MCO after you'd already like to be on the ship and hope your luggage made it. The only good thing is that with DCL transfers, they will grab your luggage for you as you rush to the Welcome Center and onto a bus....and arrive at the ship only to be told that they are out of the tickets that you wanted. The only good thing is that by the time you get there, your cabin is already open.

Flying in night before--leave mid-afternoon when I had a choice of 6 flights and was able (sometimes) to choose a non-stop. Get there, claim luggage--OK, a pain, but I know it is there in decent shape. Go to hotel (various locations from in the airport to MCO area to port area to WDW...my choice). Leisurely dinner and bed. Wake well rested and travel to the ship by whatever means I've chosen. Worst case, if my flight was cancelled, I've had many other options for later flights.

My logic is that if I'm in Orlando, then SOME WAY I'm going to be on that ship. I can't say that if I'm sitting at my home airport.

It really is easy to book on your own and will be cheaper.

Fly into Orlando (MCO)

Book a hotel in the Hyatt inside of MCO

Book Disney Transfers to Ship round trip

When you land your hotel will be in the same building.

THe next morning you will get up and go downstairs to the Disney Desk and check in and hop on bus that will take you to port.

Way to risky flying in the same day in the winter.

Also, if you make your own arrangements (and, to my mind, particularly if you are within 30 days of your initial deposit, you should do this anyway--you'll get pre-existing conditions coverage, which Disney will not cover), get your own insurance. Disney insurance won't cover the arrangements you make, and it is usually more expensive for poorer coverage. If you're within 30 days of your initial deposit, try http://www.tripinsurancestore.com and get the Travel Insured World Protector (if you're within 21 days of deposit), and the World Protector Gold (if you're within 30 days). If you do this, unlike Disney insurance, pre-existing conditions will be covered, and one of your children will be insured free. (Just make sure you insure yourself for the adult amount, and to insure your hotels, flights, excursions, etc, so you take care of the full amount. A good guess that runs to the high side is good enough, and if it goes over, call them within 14 days of the change, pay the difference between your old coverage and new coverage, and you should be fine.)

Even if Disney makes your other arrangements, I would strongly recommend cancelling their insurance and buying from http://www.tripinsurancestore.com, http://www.insuremytrip.com, or http://www.squaremouth.com/ --if money is tight, it's better to get more insurance for less money, especially if you're traveling with kids. Also, if you're leaving Wisconsin in the winter, I would make sure you have passports so you can fly to your next destination if you're snowed in,.

Whatever you do, I hope you have a wonderful trip and no cause to ever need the insurance :goodvibes

Okay.. I called DCL Reservations today. I requested the 'deviation' that a pp had mentioned. They are looking to modify my reservation to include Air Travel the day before, vice the day of. This will still include their ground transport. It's not automatic that it will get approved though. I have to check back in 3 days if they haven't called me.

I did clarify. This includes a ride from the airport to any WDW resort (or we can just stay at the Airport Hyatt), and they will also pick us up at the Hotel and get us to the port. SOLD!!! :banana: For a mere $50 fee.

I did do some shopping for other rates today before I called. Turns out I could save about $300 dollars (total) by cancelling the DCL flights and booking my own. I decided to stick with DCL. The airline prices are only going to go up. I don't have to pay what I owe DCL until October. I would have to buy the airfare NOW to get that price.

Thank you all for your advice. I am no longer worried about my travel. :worship:

Like others have commented when you fly out the day of the cruise you risk the possibility of a delayed flight for a number of reasons out of your control. Nevertheless I have flown out on three occasions on the day of my cruise without any problems but I'm an ultra light packer with only carry on luggage. I also make sure that I take the first flight out just in case my flight has problems I can still make the cruise in time. With all that said in your situation I would suggest that you fly out at least one day ahead of time. Have a wonderful cruise.

Just another story of caution. We were a party of 13 traveling to meet a Celebrity Cruise on Boxing Day a few years ago. Got to the airport, and we were checking in when we learned our connection was cancelled.
There was no "Here, we'll switch you to this flight" or "Maybe try this". Nothing. Just "Sorry.. your connection was cancelled.
So we got the honour of calling the company that transported us all to the airport to come back to Buffalo, driving to Toronto (almost 3 hours) and paying for same day flights on Air Canada. We couldn't all get on the same flight. We couldn't make it in time to our port. So we flew to San Juan which was the first stop on the cruise. We had to stay the night in San Juan and then meet the ship.
Two things that saved us. One -INSURANCE. This one connection being missed cost our group of 13 almost 15 thousand in additional travel costs. While it did need to be paid upfront, it was covered. Two.. a good travel agent who worked tirelessly to help us work it all out and communicated with the ship for us.

Sorry for the long story. Bottom line is I will never ever fly same day again and especially not during a holiday time!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter