Transportation

OnePrincessMom

Mouseketeer
Will be participating in first Run Disney event. It looks like races start/end at Epcot. If we stay at boardwalk area will Epcot be open to walk through that early? If staying on skyline route will that be running early? Can Uber get through or are roads closed except for busses? I guess my question is whether bus is the only option? Thanks!!

bumbershoot

DIS Veteran
You cannot walk to the start. You can only walk back through Epcot at the finish IF it’s open when you finish and IF you have a ticket (and if you were planning on a different park that day the ticket needs to be a hopper).

I don’t think the skyliner goes to the front of Epcot, so I doubt you can take that.

Even the monorail is only open in the morning for Half distances for those staying at monorail resorts...

Yes you can drive&park, take a taxi or rideshare.

Novatrix

Dreamfinder-in-Training
I don't know why the buses get such a bad rap. :confused3

I've used them to get to the start of 9 races, the monorail I've used once. The buses I got to sit, the monorail was standing room only (before a marathon.) The rundisney buses get their own lanes, so they don't get snarled in traffic like other options do. I did have a bus driver get lost once, but it only took us an extra 8 minutes to get to the start.

And you can either zone out or talk with other excited runners!

• rteetz

Rumors and News Moderator
    I don't know why the buses get such a bad rap. :confused3

I've used them to get to the start of 9 races, the monorail I've used once. The buses I got to sit, the monorail was standing room only (before a marathon.) The rundisney buses get their own lanes, so they don't get snarled in traffic like other options do. I did have a bus driver get lost once, but it only took us an extra 8 minutes to get to the start.

And you can either zone out or talk with other excited runners!
    I think the frequency of buses getting lost or going wrong ways is what scares people.

Novatrix

Dreamfinder-in-Training
    I think the frequency of buses getting lost or going wrong ways is what scares people.
    My experience was that we got back on course pretty quickly when it happened, though. Personally, I'd be more worried about the Skyliner breaking down....

rteetz

Rumors and News Moderator
    My experience was that we got back on course pretty quickly when it happened, though. Personally, I'd be more worried about the Skyliner breaking down....
    Anyform of transportation has issues. Nothing is perfect. I still take the buses but they have their issues too. That’s why people worry about it.

sky13

DIS Veteran
    Just did the Wine and Dine races at the start of this month, staying at Pop. Admittedly the Skyliner was running with reduced hours, but there were signs around saying that the Skyliner would not be available for the races.

I found the buses from Pop very good for all 3 races (5k/10k/half) both going to and from the races - minimal wait and many buses. They were dire for going to the Expo though!

• Novatrix

Dreamfinder-in-Training
    I found the buses from Pop very good for all 3 races (5k/10k/half) both going to and from the races - minimal wait and many buses. They were dire for going to the Expo though!
    And that's saying something since POP is right across the street from the ESPN center. Getting to the expo, if you have a limited amount of time or don't want to waste it waiting around for a bus, is when I reccomend taking an uber.

sky13

DIS Veteran
    And that's saying something since POP is right across the street from the ESPN center. Getting to the expo, if you have a limited amount of time or don't want to waste it waiting around for a bus, is when I reccomend taking an uber.
    Yeah the buses were just absolutely dire for the Expo! If I don't remember my times wrongly, at W&D I got to the Pop bus stop for ESPN around 9.30am on first day of Expo (Expo opening at 10am), and it was stretching all the way back out of the queue and into the road. People around me were speculating that they might maybe get on the 3rd bus. After about 5 minutes I gave up and got an Uber to ESPN. As I left the queue a bus pulled up, but apparently there were already people on board (think it might have shared with AoA), so I think I might have been in for a pretty long wait if I had stayed in the bus queue.

camaker

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
    Yeah the buses were just absolutely dire for the Expo! If I don't remember my times wrongly, at W&D I got to the Pop bus stop for ESPN around 9.30am on first day of Expo (Expo opening at 10am), and it was stretching all the way back out of the queue and into the road. People around me were speculating that they might maybe get on the 3rd bus. After about 5 minutes I gave up and got an Uber to ESPN. As I left the queue a bus pulled up, but apparently there were already people on board (think it might have shared with AoA), so I think I might have been in for a pretty long wait if I had stayed in the bus queue.
    I don't think your experience there was typical for the majority of the Expo busing. The first buses on the first day of the Expos are far and away the worst, as people try to rush to be first in line to get merchandise. Outside of that initial rush, it's been rare to see more than a few people standing and waiting for the next Expo bus to come by. After a couple of experiences, I've made it a point to hit the Expo later in the afternoon of the opening day or even on subsequent days, if I'm not running all the races and crowding/waiting hasn't been an issue. I'd agree, if someone is absolutely set on getting to an Expo opening early, Uber is probably a better bet. Otherwise, the buses are fine.

Allison

DIS Veteran
    I don't think your experience there was typical for the majority of the Expo busing. The first buses on the first day of the Expos are far and away the worst, as people try to rush to be first in line to get merchandise. Outside of that initial rush, it's been rare to see more than a few people standing and waiting for the next Expo bus to come by. After a couple of experiences, I've made it a point to hit the Expo later in the afternoon of the opening day or even on subsequent days, if I'm not running all the races and crowding/waiting hasn't been an issue. I'd agree, if someone is absolutely set on getting to an Expo opening early, Uber is probably a better bet. Otherwise, the buses are fine.
    Yes, I have learned that getting to the Expo is one thing you shouldn't rope drop.

• sky13

DIS Veteran
    Unfortunately for me, the only advice I ever saw from stalking forums/FB groups was to get to the Expo for opening before all the merch is gone, and never saw any advice about how dire the bus transport is when trying to do this! If I had known that they were typically dire at that time I would have gone for other transport options instead of relying on runDisney transport.

Thankfully transport for the rest of the run weekend was pretty good, but I must admit after that Expo experience I did worry for a while about getting to/from the race venues using runDisney transportation...

(For reference - my previous sole runDisney experience was at DLP, where the (very small) Expo is within walking distance of the parks, the Marne La Vallee train station, and my off-site hotel, so I've never had to deal with runDisney bus transportation before!)

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates