Transportation inside DW

pennysputnam

Earning My Ears
I understand there are various forms of transportation to maneuver between resorts and parks. I am staying at POR and would like to have a tentative list of transportation choices. Some days I am going straight to a park other days we will have breakfast at a different resort before going to a park. Is there a comprehensive list for all transportation in DW? Thanks in advance, it is our very first trip and these boards have cured my need to plan and prepare. Glad to know and be able to prove to my hubby I am not the only crazy planner out there.

I would suggest posting your question on the transportation board as well, make sure you list exactly where you will be going for the best options. For instance: POR to Poly for 7:30am breakfast then to DHS.

POR has bus transportation to each park and DTD. There is also a boat to DTD. There is no direct transportation from resort to resort

or you can hire a cab but you will have to pay for that. on-site WDW transportation such as the buses and the boats are free to guests. Also there is the monorail from EPCOT to the TTC where you can transfer to the MK Monorail which will take you to MK and the MK resorts. ( Grand Floridian, Polynesian and the Contemporary.) There are not any forms of transportation from resort to resort ( unless you hire a cab or are going to and from the 3 MK resorts mentioned above).

Resort to parks: (easy) Take the bus

Resort to Downtown Disney: (easy) Take the boat OR the bus (boat is faster)

Resort to resort: (difficult) No direct transportation offered by Disney. You will have to take the bus to a park or Downtown Disney and transfer to that resort's bus. This can be QUITE time consuming and can easily eat up a couple of hours. If you can afford it a cab will be much faster - 10-15 minutes to pretty much any resort.

I would advise either limiting your meals at other resorts (unless they are easily accessible like the monorail resorts or the Boardwalk area resorts) or planning them for times when you will be leaving a park anyway. Of course, you'd then need transportation from that resort back to POR, but you could always bus to DD and then boat back to POR.

OR - You can rent a car and have complete control over your transportation needs!

Give me a list of your days and where you are eating and I can give you some ideas. Maybe you can replan your days depending on the transportation. Getting around is definitely something to plan.

Enjoy your trip.

From POR you'll use the bus to the parks and DTD with a boat option to DTD.To go to another resort from POR the best way is to figure out what park has easy transportation to that resort,for example you have the Grand Floridian,the Poly,Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge easily accessible from the MK,all except the Wilderness Lodge by monorail,for WL you can take a boat or bus from MK,so for all these hotels go to the MK from POR.Then you have the resorts located between Epcot's International Gateway and DHS(The Boardwalk,Y&B Club and Swan and Dolphin.These hotels are acessed from DHS by boat or by walking,they can also be acessed from Epcot's International Gateway entrance by boat or walking.If you're going to one of these resorts in the morning from POR go to DHS,not Epcot because you have to enter Epcot and walk entirely through it to get to the International Gateway exit to get to the resorts,from DHS the walkway or boat will be at the front of the park.If you're inside Epcot and plan to eat at one of these resorts then the IG entrance will work for you.If going between two resorts that are not near any parks then just transfer buses at DTD or a park.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Day 1- I will take boat from POR to TRex in DTD for dinner. I saw that TRex is in marketplace area. Does anyone know if there are separate stops in DTD or is it just the one stop?

Day2- I will take the bus from POR to MK then river taxi to Grand Floridian for 10:15 breakfast at 1900 park fair.

The remainder of the days I will take bus to which ever park I wish to attend, then bus to which ever resort I have dinner reservations. Then to get back to my resort I will have to bus back to either the nearest park or DTD. Am I on the right track?

My only other question is how will I get from park to park? I know the monorail goes from MK to Epcot. Will there be buses that go from MK to HS or AK?

Again, I really appreciate all the help ! What would I do without all the experience and wisdom of fellow DISer's!!

Thanks for all your help guys!

My only other question is how will I get from park to park? I know the monorail goes from MK to Epcot. Will there be buses that go from MK to HS or AK?

Again, I really appreciate all the help ! What would I do without all the experience and wisdom of fellow DISer's!!

There's transportation between all the parks.

MK to Epcot: monorail or ferry to TTC(Transportation and Ticket center) then monorail to Epcot
MK to DHS: monorail or ferry to TTC and bus to DHS,you could also walk to the Contemporary and bus to DHS from there or monorail to Contemporary,Poly or GF and bus to DHS from there
MK to AK: monorail or ferry to TTC and bus to AK,you could also walk to the Contemporary and bus to AK from there or monorail to Contemporary,Poly or GF and bus to AK from there

Epcot to MK:monorail to TTC and monorail or ferry to MK or exit at the IG exit and take a bus from Boardwalk or Y&B Club to MK
Epcot to DHS: bus from the front of Epcot or walk or take a boat from Epcot's back entrance called the International Gateway
Epcot to AK:bus from park to park or walk out to the resorts by the International gateway exit and bus to AK from there

DHS to MK:Bus to TTC and boat or Ferry to MK or bus to Contemporary and walk from there,other option is bus to GF,Poly or Contemporary and monorail from there
DHS to Epcot:bus to Epcot's front gate or walk or take a boat to Epcot's International gateway entrance
DHS to AK: bus

AK to MK: Bus to TTC and boat or Ferry to MK or bus to Contemporary and walk from there,other option is bus to GF,Poly or Contemporary and monorail from there
AK to Epcot:Bus to front of Epcot or bus to Boardwalk or Y&B club and walk to Epcot's IG entrance
AK to DHS:bus

The boat from POR to Downtown Disney stops at POFQ and then makes only one stop at DD. You'll look for a yellow flag when returning to POR. It comes in near the Rain Forest Cafe and you'll have to walk over to T-Rex. (There is another boat you could take but it's simpler and quicker to just walk).

As others have said, there is direct transportation park-to-park and resort-park (and back again). The only difficult thing is resort-to-resort and if I were you I'd try to minimize resort hopping, unless you rent a car. Seriously it can take you 90 minutes or more each way. Of course, it CAN be much quicker but you can't count on buses showing up right when you need them. The monorail resorts are easy access as well as the Boardwalk area resorts. AKL can be a real time-sucker and I really can't think of any other resort I'd waste time visiting other than those.

most resorts have more than 1 bus stop, so you need to know which bus stop to get off at. Ask the driver when you get on and he/she will be happy to help. DH and I made that mistake our first time dining at a resort. Not being a Disneyphile at the time, I did not realize just how large some of the resorts are. We soon realized we had no idea where we were and got back on the bus and asked for help. The restaurants at the resorts generally are wonderful and not nearly as crowded. Our only bad experience was with the hostess at Shutters - she was extremely rude, not just to us, but to other guests as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter