Transferring points in with different use year?

amystevekai&bump

DIS Veteran
Hi can anyone explain transferring of points to me please?

I’m hoping to find an owner who can transfer in some points to me to make an 11 month reservation, as I don’t have enough of my own to do what I’d like to do.

I own at BLT with a Dec UY, Do I need to find someone with the same use year as me? If not, how do I make reservations using points for the same resort but using different use years?

Sorry I get myself so confused with it all!

The transfer can be from a different use year starting month. You just need the transferred points to be from a starting month that precedes the time you are going, e.g., you have a Dec use year and assume that you may want to take a trip in Nov 2020; you can have someone transfer Dec 2019 points, Feb 2020 points, or any applicable 2020 use year month through Oct (there is no Nov use year).The transferred points retain their own use year beginning month. You then make a reservation by calling MS and doing it with both your points and the transferred points. Once transferred, points cannot be borrowed into a prior use year but can be banked into the next use year (using the transferor's beginning month)

There is one advantage to getting transferred points in your own use year month for the same resort you own. If they are the same use year and same resort, they will show up in your online account and you can make the reservation online at 8 a.m. eastern 11 months out rather than waiting until 9 to call MS. Any other transferred points (different use year month or different resort) will not show up in your online account so you can use them for a reservation only by calling MS.

The transfer can be from a different use year starting month. You just need the transferred points to be from a starting month that precedes the time you are going, e.g., you have a Dec use year and assume that you may want to take a trip in Nov 2020; you can have someone transfer Dec 2019 points, Feb 2020 points, or any applicable 2020 use year month through Oct (there is no Nov use year).The transferred points retain their own use year beginning month. You then make a reservation by calling MS and doing it with both your points and the transferred points. Once transferred, points cannot be borrowed into a prior use year but can be banked into the next use year (using the transferor's beginning month)

There is one advantage to getting transferred points in your own use year month for the same resort you own. If they are the same use year and same resort, they will show up in your online account and you can make the reservation online at 8 a.m. eastern 11 months out rather than waiting until 9 to call MS. Any other transferred points (different use year month or different resort) will not show up in your online account so you can use them for a reservation only by calling MS.
Thank you so much for such a clear reply - I’m going to save this for the next time I get confused by it all!

Thank you I’m really grateful 👍

One more question if I may? Would I be able to use my points to book say the first night or so online at 8am just to secure the 11 month date and then ring member services at 9am to add the extra nights using the transferred in points?

I have not seen that mentioned before but that should work. Moreover, you should be able to book at 8 a.m. all the nights you can with your own points and then have MS add nights with the transferred points after 9 a.m. (subject, of course, to the total 7-night limit if you are 11 months from your date of arrival).

It appears they have changed the policy and people are reporting that even same resort and UY points that are transferred in are no longer showing up and to use any transferred points is requiring a call.

Does anyone know of an App or chart on the OPs question of transferee and receiver use year. Would be nice for “me” us dummies to be able to say I’m Aug use year, can receive MMM YYYY etc. cuz it is confusing

It appears they have changed the policy and people are reporting that even same resort and UY points that are transferred in are no longer showing up and to use any transferred points is requiring a call.
That’s terrific! Thank you so much you’ve been a real help 👍

I have not seen that mentioned before but that should work. Moreover, you should be able to book at 8 a.m. all the nights you can with your own points and then have MS add nights with the transferred points after 9 a.m. (subject, of course, to the total 7-night limit if you are 11 months from your date of arrival).
That’s amazing help - thank you so much 👍

Unfortunate to see that has changed. So instead of improving the reservation website to allow all transferred points to show up for online reserving, DVC, the members' supposed fiduciary, has decided to make it worse rather than better. Why am I not surprised?

Unfortunate to see that has changed. So instead of improving the website to allow all transferred points to show up for online reserving, DVC, the members' supposed fiduciary, has decided to make it worse rather than better. Why am I not surprised?

I just wonder if the reason is that it got confusing? Once in the contract, I wonder if there was no way to prevent those points from being borrowed as once there, how would the site distinguish.

It is disappointing but I am guessing there was a technical reason why it was changed,

The things to remember about transfers.
You cannot borrow transferred points.
You can bank transferred points.
You cannot transfer banked or borrowed points.

You are limited to one transfer in or out per UY per membership. Many people have said they were allowed more than one transfer in or out within their own contracts, but every time I have transferred from one to the other, I was told that used my one transfer in and one transfer out for that year. I've done it several times.

You are limited to one transfer in or out per UY per membership. Many people have said they were allowed more than one transfer in or out within their own contracts, but every time I have transferred from one to the other, I was told that used my one transfer in and one transfer out for that year. I've done it several times.

I'm pretty sure you can bank transferred points. Just can't borrow them.

If you made a reservation with your points online at 8 am..could you call at 9 am and have MS switch the reservation over to use transferred points?

If you made a reservation with your points online at 8 am..could you call at 9 am and have MS switch the reservation over to use transferred points?

This is a best guess. I think yes as long as it was the 7 month window or you used the 11 month window and it was the same home resort between your points and the transfer points.

Yes, they can reallocate the points for you, as long as they meet the requirements to be eligible for the reservation. Just remember, once transferred points are used, you have to also call if you ever want to modify that reservation using those points.

Yes, they can reallocate the points for you, as long as they meet the requirements to be eligible for the reservation. Just remember, once transferred points are used, you have to also call if you ever want to modify that reservation using those points.
thanks! i did not know that

Does this mean that I could transfer 2019 UY and 2020 UY points into my account during the same calendar year? And that if I'm within the booking window, I could bank those 2019 UY points for use in 2020?

Does this mean that I could transfer 2019 UY and 2020 UY points into my account during the same calendar year? And that if I'm within the booking window, I could bank those 2019 UY points for use in 2020?
You could transfer 2019 points into your 2019 UY (but it has to be active) and you could transfer in 2020 points into your 2020 UY. You could bank the 2019 points into the 2020 UY. They all maintain their UY and resort. You would use up your once a year transfer for 2019 and 2020 UYs.

You could transfer 2019 points into your 2019 UY (but it has to be active) and you could transfer in 2020 points into your 2020 UY. You could bank the 2019 points into the 2020 UY. They all maintain their UY and resort. You would use up your once a year transfer for 2019 and 2020 UYs.
Thanks! This was able to work for me (purchased transferred points for 2020 and 2019 UY; banked the 2019 UY points to use in 2020).

About maintaining their resort... if I transfer in points from a different resort than mine, do I get 11 month home resort advantage with them?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!