Transatlantic solo

If you would sail another line, you can get single supplement rates of less than 100%. Right now, for example, Celebrity is having a 60% off second guest sale.

For me, I wanted the Disney cruise experience. I don't want the generic cruise experience, where the only difference between the ships is the price.

I am doing an Norgweain Fjords cruise and I know I could have the same ports with a different line for a far cheaper price. But for me thats not the point. I want the Disney theming, I want the Disney entertainment, I want the Disney merchandise, I want the Disney rotational dining experience.

I did the VGT or TVG or whatever it is where you don't get to pick your own cabin (i did oceanview) and it worked out fine and saved me enough to spend a few days in London. I just checked on Google flights and there are some really cheap flights from JFK to Heathrow. TAP (the Portuguese airline) has a 1 stop in Sept for $285. Delta has a non-stop for $431. $75 more for a checked bag and to choose your own seat. And yeah, there's just something about the Disney ships . . . even not doing anything "Disney" the ships are really pretty and the cabins are great and cozy.

For me, I wanted the Disney cruise experience. I don't want the generic cruise experience, where the only difference between the ships is the price.

I am doing an Norgweain Fjords cruise and I know I could have the same ports with a different line for a far cheaper price. But for me thats not the point. I want the Disney theming, I want the Disney entertainment, I want the Disney merchandise, I want the Disney rotational dining experience.
We'll have to disagree that any line other than Disney is generic. Celebrity (and that's my example due to recent experience, but the same applies to other lines) has three different classes of ship sailing now, and they are significantly different from each other.

Thanks everyone for all the thoughts, and I also really appreciate the negatives about travelling solo on a (long) cruise. As the Fairy Godmother in Rodger and Hammerstein's Cinderella says: Don't want for everything to be perfect.
There is no time like the present. #yolo.

After the holiday weekend I'll put in my request for time off.
Fingers crossed it gets approved as I discovered 2 colleagues also want time off for short trips in this week.

If you would sail another line, you can get single supplement rates of less than 100%. Right now, for example, Celebrity is having a 60% off second guest sale.
There's a good site I follow to find solo rate deals. I'm not sure if it's ok to post here - I transfer bookings to Dreams after I find a deal, Tracey is awesome.

Other cruise lines are not all the same. A smaller ship like Celebrity Millennium (my fave) is nothing at all like the RCCL gigantic ships like Wonder of the Seas. Millie holds 2100, and Wonder is almost 7000 person capacity.

You couldn't pay me to sail on a megaship, but my brother loves them. I also really don't enjoy DCL either. Luckily there's lots of variety in ships.

To the original question, I have a TA booked next year and I'm excited! I'm going on Celebrity's newest ship - Beyond - which has solo veranda rooms. I love the quiet time with cruising, but I have also found that it's not hard to find someone to chat with if I want to. After this, I want to do a transpacific - Millie has been going to Japan in the fall and I hope that I get to do that one day.

It took a bit longer to get my vacation approved. But today, I have booked my transatlantic solo cruise! :D
Did it over the phone with CM Taylor, a bit quiet, but very polite and friendly. I had another cruise planned, which she had to cancel. It would be so much easier if I could cancel a cruise online, but it is what it is!

I'm booked OGT, my previous cruise on the Magic was also a guaranteed ocean view on deck two. Last time I got my room 55 days before departure. Let's see what happens now.

I'm off to book a train to London, accommodation in Dover and a flight back to Amsterdam!

(and now to worry the next 90 days about not getting Covid :P )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter