Training Eating Accountability (TEA) Thread- Wk of January 22

plutosmyfav

<font color=deeppink>Has high hopes, high apple pi
OK, This is an experiment.

The Training Eating Accountability (TEA) will be a place for anyone who wants to post something they'd like to hold themselves accountable for regarding eating for optimal weight and fitness levels. It will be a weekly thread if there is interest.

Make sure your goal is obtainable, don't set yourself up for failure!

My Accountability for this week will be: No more than 10 points past 7PM. I know that may sound crazy, I shouldn't be eating 10 points after 7PM! But since I have been eating 20-30 points after 7PM every night this will be a huge commitment! I hope to stay within my target points each day, but I'll start with curbing the night-time eating.

Sunny

I LOVE this idea!!! If I write it down in public I HAVE to stick to it - right?!?!

My goal is no junk food. Keep to my rice cakes and veggies. I have been chomping on LIGHT chips - they aren't light if you the whole bag!!

Cool---I'll start with baby steps. Still working on a good calorie count that will still allow me to lose weight--but not starve...started in the 1200s--maybe try the 1400s and then using zig zagging to modulate the different days (weekly total the same). Anywho. Until I figure that out...

My goal is Protein > 25% and Fat content < 25% per each day. So far so good for the last week and a half.

OK, I'm game. My step is really baby...no laughing...*only* two diet cokes a day...the rest water. Believe it or not, that's going to be tough for me. d. coke runs through my veins! :rolleyes1 The eating will have to come later.

Sara

This will be great! I am going back OP tomorrow. Full on training/eating healthy. Time to get my butt in gear. Only 15 weeks till the Minnie! I plan on being much lighter & faster by then.

So my goal is to just stay OP within my points range & drink water. If I can just do that I'll be much smaller by May.

Great idea Sunny. :wave:

Sign me up!

The Gremlin challenge...no eating after 8pm.
The Potty all the Time challenge...more water, less diet Pepsi (max of 3 cans daily).
The Laura Branigan challenge...more self-control, less binging.

Gonna have to start tomorrow. I'm blaming football for today's lack of self-control! You have to eat lots of junk food while watching football, right? :teeth:

Great start everyone!

Sara-- Baby steps are the best kind. Giant steps lead to giant falls!

Mel-- We'll forgive you for football!

Well its 8PM. I can only have 10 more points today :p (speaking of feeling silly for baby steps!!!!!)

Sunny

Thanks so much for starting this thread!! I sooooo need some accountability here!

Since I am doing WW, I want to do the most simple thing that I should be doing-- I just want to stay on my points!!! Beginning tomorrow (since I already messed up today!) I will eat only my alotted points + activity points (I really don't think I can function all day without activity points on running days!!)

Thank you for doing this thread!!!

I know what I need to do - I lost 132 pounds on WW, but gained a good bit back over the last few months due to some health issues, excuses, etc. I don't know that I'm ready to journal everything, yet, so I will be doing core this week, but adding whole wheat bread to the list (I just don't get enough carbs for the exercise). I also need to go back to water - I got addicted to diet cherry/vanilla Dr. P, and now they are killing me with diet cherry/vanilla coke!!! :drinking1 So the plan is - core + allowance points and minimum 64 oz of water - and for every coke, I have to drink the same amount in water. (12 oz. of coke = 12 more oz. of water)

Ummm... do we get a day off for Super Bowl Sunday??? :rolleyes1

:teeth: Thanks again!

--Lynnda

I need this sooo much, thanks for starting it!

I too, seem to do really well until 4 or later, sooo I am going to make my goal no more than 12 points after 4pm.

Christy

Okay--I like this idea, too! Thanks for setting it up, Sunny! I'm just not sure what my goals should be right now, but I have been trying to follow the USDA food pyramid a little better (with the new recommendations). So, I think my goals will be to get my 2.5 servings of veggies each day and to drink 64 - 85 oz of water each day. I brought a bottled water to work today to help me--I've already had 16 oz. today!

So, how will this work? There will be a weekly thread, and we just post as we wish? Do we keep changing our goals as we wish? I'm looking forward to this accountability!

Thanks for starting this thread, Sunny!!

My goals for the week: Don't use more than 3 of my flex points each day (I've come to the conclusion that if I use all of my flex points for the week then I don't lose), drink the required amount of water each day.

I'm only 4.8 pounds from my WW goal. I'm determined to reach goal within the next couple of weeks. :cool1:

Monday.

Well I blew it last night :confused3 :furious: I don't know why. I think it was because the week had been a total bust and it was the last day of that week for my WW schedule, so might as well blow it off... (that is the worst dieter's mentality). But today is a new day.

A trainer from my gym sent this out in email today. I thought it might be helfpul info:
Your metabolic rate works a lot like the engine of an automobile except that, unlike a car, your engine must work 24/7 to keep you alive. Some people have a Hemi® under the hood, while others are more like hybrids. Athletes have a keen interest in their metabolic rate or resting energy expenditure because it can help them determine their energy needs and help them lose, maintain or even gain weight.

The nutrition world is full of advice for how to increase your metabolic rate – they tell you to exercise, lift weights, eat hot peppers, drink tea and even develop a nervous twitch. However, new research shows that your body’s metabolism is largely determined by factors that you cannot change—like the size of your liver, spleen, heart, lungs and brain—and that the many suggested ways to increase metabolic rate have little, if any, effect.

Below are some key points about the metabolic rate concept and the truth behind what really increases or decreases it from a research presentation given at a body composition meeting held by the Sports, Cardiovascular and Wellness Nutritionists (SCAN) at the American Dietetic Association’s Annual Conference in St. Louis, MO, this past October.

What is your metabolic rate? Your metabolic rate is measured as either the basal metabolic rate (BMR) or resting metabolic rate (RMR). The BMR is usually measured in the morning after an overnight fast and lying down for 30 minutes whereas the RMR is often measured in the afternoon, several hours after eating. It generally provides a result that is 10-20% higher than the BMR. Both are values that describe how much energy your body needs to sustain itself.

The RMR, or BMR, represents about two-thirds of your total daily energy needs. Muscle movement (exercise, fidgeting, walking and daily activities) represents about 23 percent of the total energy expenditure in the average American, while the thermic effect of food (the energy used to turn food into usable energy and waste) represents another 10 percent. Only very active individuals can match or surpass their RMR with calories expended from their physical activities.

Do thinner people have higher metabolic rates? Nope. In fact, the opposite is true. One effective way to increase your metabolic rate is to actually gain weight. That’s because both fat and muscle require energy to sustain themselves. And, for every pound you gain, one-quarter of it is generally lean tissue.

The same thing applies for when you lose weight – for every pound lost, one-quarter of it is lean tissue. That’s why when you lose weight, for every pound lost, your body requires about 10 fewer calories. Lose 10 pounds and you now need to cut 100 calories from your diet (or burn an additional 100 calories through exercise) to maintain your weight. This is part of the reason why weight maintenance is so much more challenging than actually losing weight.

Doesn’t aerobic exercise or resistance training accelerate your metabolic rate? If this were true, fit individuals would have higher metabolic rates than an unfit person of the same size and sex. Research shows this isn’t the case. Even highly trained athletes often have RMR equal to their sedentary counterparts. While exercise is great for total energy expenditure, is good for your heart and cardiovascular system and has many other health benefits, increasing the metabolic rate is not one of the major benefits of exercise.

Does adding muscle mass increase your metabolic rate? Compared to fat tissue, muscle mass is more metabolically active. But in comparison to organs, your muscles are like a hybrid car while your organs are gas-guzzling V8s. Muscles burn about 13 calories per kilogram of bodyweight per day (kcal/kg/day), fat burns 4.5 kcal/kg/day, but organs burn 200 to 400 kcal/kg/day. In the end, your organs represent 60-70% of your metabolic rate and muscles represent 16-22%.

So the most muscle mass that you can realistically add in a year (4-5 pounds of muscle) would add just 28-50 kcals to your metabolic rate per day.

Should I have my metabolic rate measured? If you are trying to lose weight, it’s probably not a bad idea to get your metabolic rate measured. In fact, many health clubs now offer on-site testing. At the very least, it will probably tell you that your weight woes are not due to a low metabolism. You can also estimate your BMR fairly accurately using the formula below:

Estimating your Metabolic Rate
To estimate your metabolic rate, follow these steps:

1. Convert your height to meters and weight to kilograms

Height to meters = inches x .0254

Weight in kilograms = pounds/ 2.2

2. Estimate your Basal Metabolic Rate

Men: BMR = 294 - (3.8 x age) + (456.4 x height) + (10.12 x weight)

Women: BMR = 247 - (2.67 x age) + (401 x height) + (8.6 x weight)

For example, Matt (31) is a 6'2" triathlete who weighs 198 pounds.
Matt's height: 74 inches x .0254 = 1.88 meters
Matt's weight: 198 pounds/ 2.2 = 90 kilograms
Matt's estimated BMR = 294 - (3.8 x 31 years) + 456.6 x 1.88 meters) +
(10.12 x 90 kilograms) = 1,943 kcals/day

In fact, Matt had his BMR tested and it was measured at 2000 kcals/day, very close to his calculated BMR.

Estimating your Total Caloric Expenditure
To estimate total caloric expenditure, you need to factor in the energy expenditure of your daily activity and exercise.

BMR x 1.5 = Weight maintenance for people who do little exercise
BMR x 1.7 = Weight maintenance for moderately active people (up to
1 hour per day of activity)
BMR x 1.9-2.5 = Weight maintenance for athletes

Matt, the triathlete, is very active, exercising for over two hours most days so his estimated total daily caloric expenditure is estimated as follows.

Matt's Total Caloric Expenditure Estimation =
1943 kcals/day x 1.9-2.5 = 3692 to 4858 kcal/day

But Matt is also trying to lose weight. If Matt bases his caloric intake on an activity factor of 1.7 to 1.9:

1943 kcals/day x 1.7-1.9 = 3303 to 3692 kcal/day

Applying this, he should be able to lose about one pound per week. The effects of this caloric intake would need to be monitored and adjusted according to his rate of weight loss per week.

For people with lower levels of activity, adjusting daily caloric intake below the estimated daily caloric expenditure should bring about weight loss. For example, for people who do little exercise:

BMR x 1.0 = Weight Loss of about 1 pound per week
BMR x 1.3 = Weight loss of about 1/2 pound per week

Again, the effects of this caloric intake should be monitored and adjusted according to the rate of weight loss per week. See this month's Ask the Nutritionist to help determine if or when you should seek individualized professional nutritional guidance.​

Keep aiming at your targets! I like that concept because it helps reduce the "all or nothing" mindset that I fell prey to last night. Hitting the yellow or blue circle is alot closer to a bull's eye than throwing your bow and arrow on the ground!

Sunny

Sunny-- thanks for sharing that info! It really makes a lot of sense-- I'm going to try and see how close I can get to my target, and see if it works!

Hi, everyone! Sunny -- Thank you for starting this thread.

Right now, all I can aim for is to stay within my WW points each week. I am doing this for the 100 day challenge that I started, but it is good to think of it as accountability for training purposes, too.

Hi guys! Wish me luck. I have an off-site meeting for work today. Lunch is going to be catered. It always scares me when I have no control over what I'm going to be served. I've committed to eating as healthy as possible. I stuck a 100 calorie pack in my purse as a way to get me through the afternoon if there are no good choices.

Good luck to everyone today!!

Bye! :wave2:

Chropistopy said:
Hi guys! Wish me luck. I have an off-site meeting for work today. Lunch is going to be catered. It always scares me when I have no control over what I'm going to be served. I've committed to eating as healthy as possible. I stuck a 100 calorie pack in my purse as a way to get me through the afternoon if there are no good choices.

Good luck to everyone today!!

Bye! :wave2:
Good luck Christy!! I always have a hard time with lunches catered at work (whether on or offsite!) They tend to be buffet-style, with one entree choice, which is generally something slathered in some kind of cream sauce, cheese, or both! So then I end up with the choice of eating and not being hungry, or starving all afternoon!

I didn't do so well yesterday- I did in the beginning of the day, and then my "I'm sick" excuse kicked in and I ate a bunch of sweets while watching TV at night. Now, I feel horrible today (I always feel awful the day after I go off my diet, yet I still do it!!!)

Christy-- I hate those work lunches, too. Good luck!

Disneygirl-- that was my excuse, all last week! Hope you're feeling better today.

Well I made it through last night OP. Just 10 points after 7PM and I managed to stay within my points range for the day :cool1: . If I can manage this all week then next week I'll drop it down to 8.

Keep up the good work everyone, remember, we're watching you :p

Sunny

Hi everyone,

I have done SBD in the past with good results but then by winter I normally gain it all back. I have never tried WW but it looks like it is more flexible than SBD and may work better with my lifestyle. I have really been gaining my weight back since my injury stopped my running.

I have no time to go to meetings and I am not a very large person so they really make me feel out of place. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find info on this without going to meetings? I found a point calculator for how many points I should have but where do you find one for how many points certain foods are worth?????

Thanks for any advise!

::MinnieMo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter