Trader Sam's with kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelezookie

Earning My Ears
Hi all! I've read a few older threads about Trader Sam's and I would really love to experience it. Our trip is in December and will be me, my husband and our 6 year old son. I'm well aware of the no kids after 8pm rule and 100% respect and agree with that, but was just curious about if we were to head over right around the time they open, would we get any side eye from the adults sans children? I know my son would love all of the crazy things that happen, but I've read several things where people say it's "not the place" for kids to be.

Quite simply, the age/time restriction that Disney has established should put an end to any side-eyed glances, and even if it doesn't, it should put an end to anyone caring about side-eyed glances. If Disney says that kids can be there at 7:45, then anyone who complains or rolls their eyes at seeing kids there at 7:45 is too ignorant to be bothered with. If people are bothered by the idea of you following the rules, that is their problem, not yours.

I think the time designation eliminates any issues.

We went twice during our last trip once at 9 and once around 4.

At night it was full (had to wait with a buzzer for 45min) and was definitely not an atmosphere for kids. Lots of young singles and "party" groups. Locals out getting drunk and celebrating birthdays.

The afternoon was nearly empty. A few families with kids. All other adults were major Disney fans who were there more to enjoy the theming. Mostly everyone ordering food and maybe a drink or two. I could not imagine anyone giving any nasty looks unless the kids were badly behaved. The vibe was definitely "family friendly"

...If people are bothered by the idea of you following the rules, that is their problem, not yours.

Meh. There are a lot of things that are perfectly legal, but are totally immoral, or at least bad decisions. There are lots of places to see lots of wonderous audioanimatronics in the parks; why do we especially wanna show junior the audioanimatronics who are exclusively making references to alcoholic beverages?

Edited to add: I've not been to this particular bar early in the evening, so I'm not making a recommendation as to the family-friendliness, mostly just arguing back "if it's inside the rules, do it!"

why do we especially wanna show junior the audioanimatronics who are exclusively making references to alcoholic beverages?

There are animatronics making references to alcohol?

Hmm.

And who cares, even if there were? Alcohol shouldn't be some big secret thing. That can start more issues than it stops.

OP, I was always too busy with my kid when he was little to notice or care about "side eye".

And I've been accused of making faces that I 100% am not making enough times to know that just because you see an expression on someone's face it doesn't mean it has anything in the universe to do with YOU. If you see an expression, make up a back story for what's going through their minds that has nothing to do with you or anything in their sight. It's just something in their mind.

We go pretty much every trip, with our now 8 yo DD. We have never gotten any side-eye. In fact DD usually strikes up conversation with other adults we end up sitting with, it's always been a lot of fun.

And who cares, even if there were? Alcohol shouldn't be some big secret thing. That can start more issues than it stops.

The show elements are exclusively triggered by the ordering of alcoholic beverages. This is going to make ordering alcohol seem like a fun activity in which junior is not allowed to fully participate. Suggesting that this kind of glorification of alcohol isn't a great influence on kids is a far cry from suggesting we keep alcohol a secret from kids. (Though I know my argument is somewhat non-unique in the US as american Beer commercials do a great job of teaching kids that alcohol is a sexy party time that they should be excited to join as soon as possible.)

That said, I'm really curious why someone would want to bring kids to a bar, mostly because I simply cannot think of an answer that is healthy or even not completely entitled and self-centered. For me, this hearkens back to the outrage when V+A implented their age restriction policy. Why does everything need to be for every person? If I make the choice to not bring slacks or a jacket with me on vacation, then I'm doing that with the knowledge that there are restaurants I won't be able to visit until the next vacation. If you make the choice to have a child, it seems that there are some activities you'll not be able to participate in for about 18 years' worth of vacations. If I roll my eyes and act annoyed with your parenting choices, it's because I'm pretty sure I put more thought into whether to bring a suit with me on my trip than you put into choosing whether or not to pop out a kid.

Edited to add: I've not been to this particular bar early in the evening, so I'm not making a recommendation as to the family-friendliness, mostly just arguing back "if it's inside the rules, do it!"
First of all, yeah, you actually are making a back-handed recommendation. What other purpose could a post have that mentions morality and bad decision making? A classic example of passive/aggressive posting. Mention alcohol and morality in one breath, and then disclaim that you are taking a position with the next breath.

Second, you leave out a very important point when it comes to "the rules"--and that is the fact that they are Disney's rules. Disney is the single most prolific purveyor of family entertainment on the planet. When Disney puts in a rule that families are welcome at a place until 8:00, it should be safely assumed that taking your family there before 8:00 runs no risk of violating morality norms or decision-making paradigms. If "The Palms" in Las Vegas had a venue that allowed minors until 8:00 and then became a no-holds-barred den of Sin City Fun thereafter, I would still argue that the family hours should pose no threat, but would understand if someone rolled their eyes at the notion. But when it is a Disney venue and not a Las Vegas venue, one should have a high degree of confidence that the venue will be family appropriate whilst families are invited.

And as for not wanting to show junior animatronics that refer to alcohol as well as glorifying it, well, all I can say to that is...

pirates_02.jpg

pirates-1.jpg

djfybwxrlkacb3hgaxgb.jpg

Last edited:
This is going to make ordering alcohol seem like a fun activity in which junior is not allowed to fully participate.

That's exactly what it is. My kids see me drink sometimes, they also get information on why it isn't ok for them to drink and how to do it responsibly when they are mature enough to do so.

We've taken our 9 year old to Trader Sams right after it opened and had no problems at all with it except that he's a picky critter on whom the entire experience was basically wasted.

Disney...runs no risk of violating morality norms or decision-making paradigms.

And then a bunch of pictures of an attraction that is currently being changed because it contains elements which are now deemed socially unacceptable due to our society's changing morality norms and decision-making paradigms. Also, Jack's cup is very obviously empty. :P

Yes, Disney deems it is ok for kids to hang out in bars. Yes, Trader Sam's is a bar. I would not have taken my kids there when they were young as they would have been bored and it would have been a waste of money. I will not go now because as an adult on an adult only trip I don't want to hang out with children at a bar even if they are behaving.

We went to Trader Sam's at Disney World once around 5:30 one day. About half of the seats were taken up by kids horsing around and the only open table was next to a baby screaming in a high chair. If I am paying those prices for a drink I don't want it to come with that kind of atmosphere. We looked around and walked back out without spending a dime.

We went to Trader Sam's at DL previously and it was all adults. Much more pleasant experience and we spent quite a bit of money.

I think it would be great if Disney had a few adult only places, but as they own the place they can do what they want.

Last edited:
That said, I'm really curious why someone would want to bring kids to a bar, mostly because I simply cannot think of an answer that is healthy or even not completely entitled and self-centered...

If you make the choice to have a child, it seems that there are some activities you'll not be able to participate in for about 18 years' worth of vacations. If I roll my eyes and act annoyed with your parenting choices, it's because I'm pretty sure I put more thought into whether to bring a suit with me on my trip than you put into choosing whether or not to pop out a kid.

Trader Sams is a themed lounge with with a visually engaging atmosphere and entertaining "Jungle Cruise"-type CMs where you can order food and non-alcoholic drinks served in plastic souvenir cups. I really don't think it falls into the same category as taking kids to an adults-only "bar" or out "clubbing"

As for the rest of your post... seriously?! Because a parent chooses to bring their child to an explicitly child-friendly location at Disney, they care less about them than you do your wardrobe... That has to be the most ridiculous thing I have read on the Disboards ever.

It's an overpriced, overhyped bar. Take your kids. They can watch you waste money. (Can you tell I was not impressed. I did frat bars in college. Old adults acting like kids didn't do much for me)

The real issue with Trader Sam's, IMO, is how tiny the main room is. I have no idea how big the patio area is as we didn't go there. We went in right at 4pm and got seated. My bedroom is larger than the entirety of the bar/lounge. There are servers constantly walking around with drinks and whatnot, doing the shtick that goes along with certain orders. Be aware if you go, whether you bring kids or its just adults, plan to be seated and remain seated. There is no room for kids or adults to be up and running around or even wandering to look at stuff...at least not inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter