Toy Story - what age?

connorlevismom

DIS Veteran
Is Toy Story appropriate for a 3 year old? I am pretty picky with what he watches but he is in awe of Buzz and I was hoping this movie would keep him occupied on the plane. Is it age appropriate? Just for reference, I have a hard time letting him watch sponge bob and those kinds of cartoons.

Kristine

My 2 year old loves that movie! She wants to watch it all the time. Try letting him watch it at home once and see how he does. Good luck and have a great trip!!!

Yes, by the time my DS was 3 he could tell you most scenes word for word. His room after the baby stuff was Toy Story so he was probably 2 and knew everything Toy Story.

Why wouldn't it be appropriate?

We also don't allow our DS to watch SpongeBob or most of the other cartoons on TV, but he is free to watch any Disney/Pixar animated movie he wants to as they are quite appropriate, IMO. My 20mo DS loves Nemo and Cars especially.

Yes, by the time my DS was 3 he could tell you most scenes word for word. His room after the baby stuff was Toy Story so he was probably 2 and knew everything Toy Story.

Why wouldn't it be appropriate?[/QUOTE]

I don't know, I have never seen it.:lmao: It is just that there are some Disney movies and I don't feel are OK for a 3 year old to watch. JMO. Since I have never seen TS, I have no idea what it is about.;)

Kristine

My 7 and 5 year olds are not allowed to watch Sponge Bob, Rugrats and the like. They have watched both Toy Story movies (and most other Disney movies). It should be fine, but you may want to watch it with your child, just in case. We've had a number of great discussions about what we've seen in the movies, particularly the movies that depict other cultures (or a little more violence than I am comfy with!).

Enjoy your trip!
--H

I don't know, I have never seen it.:lmao: It is just that there are some Disney movies and I don't feel are OK for a 3 year old to watch. JMO. Since I have never seen TS, I have no idea what it is about.;)

Kristine

I think that it would be fine. My DD has been a TS fan since 18months or so. Granted, I have let her watch most other Disney movies, but do not turn on SpongeBob, etc. Maybe you could post (or PM) a Disney movie or two you don't feel comfortable with him watching for comparison? Then I could probably give you a better answer.

Bascially though, there is no real magic or witchcraft with the scary witch in TS. The neighbor kid isn't very nice, but the toys teach him to respect things. In TS2, Al kidnaps Woody and Zurg appears a time or two, but nothing really scary.

Both my 4 yr old son and 2yr old daughter love the Toy Story movies. Laila wants to be Woody for Halloween ( and no not Jessie- she only wants to be Woody the CowBOY!!!)

I think that it would be fine. My DD has been a TS fan since 18months or so. Granted, I have let her watch most other Disney movies, but do not turn on SpongeBob, etc. Maybe you could post (or PM) a Disney movie or two you don't feel comfortable with him watching for comparison? Then I could probably give you a better answer.

Bascially though, there is no real magic or witchcraft with the scary witch in TS. The neighbor kid isn't very nice, but the toys teach him to respect things. In TS2, Al kidnaps Woody and Zurg appears a time or two, but nothing really scary.

There's a Witch in Toy Story? All of the bazillion times I've seen it with all 3 of my kids, I don't recall a Witch.

My DS2 is not interested in TV and he absolutely loves Toy Story. It and Cars are the only movies he will watch. You also might check out Toy Story2, I think it is even better than the first.

There's a Witch in Toy Story? All of the bazillion times I've seen it with all 3 of my kids, I don't recall a Witch.

I'm trying to figure this one out, too. I've see both the Toy Story movies so many times that I can quote them, but I don't recall anything with a witch. :confused:

I must be a bad mom..my kids catch an occasional spongebob episode.:confused3

I don't think Spongebob is bad, but he really gets on my nerves! LOL

Toy Story is very clean in my opinion. We try to be careful with what our kids watch, but honestly I let them watch the majority of Disney movies.

Sorry, I was trying to say that there is NO witch in TS as there is in some other Disney movies.

I don't think Spongebob is bad, but he really gets on my nerves! LOL

Toy Story is very clean in my opinion. We try to be careful with what our kids watch, but honestly I let them watch the majority of Disney movies.

My problem exactly!

Toy story was my DS first experence with disney movies. he was about three when it came out and we ended up buying a Woody doll before the movie came out. it was his favorite toy for YEARS. I found the movie fine for him and we were VERY selective at that age. I just have such fond memories of the movie. I am sure that like 12 years later I can still quote a LOT of the lines!! We still have that Woody packed carefuly away.

I'd go with Toy Story 2. Toy Story has that neighbor kid taking apart toys and putting different parts together and blowing up toys - it is kind of creepy. Toy Story 2 doesn't have anything too dark - just the race against time to save some of them. Plus, Toy Story 2 has Jessie the cowgirl and Bullseye the horse!

Thanks so much for all your input! I am off to order both Toy Stories and Cars for the upcoming trip!

Kristine

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter