• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tower of Terror Standby Rider Switch Strategy

mmackeymouse

DIS Veteran
We are planning an upcoming Studios day, and I am trying to wrap my brain around how everything can and will work. I need other people with sharper minds to help me talk it out. There will be 4 adults and 2 little ones. We'll refer to the members as A1, A2, A3, A4 and L1, L2. I know, brilliant right? :teeth:

So, if A1 walks up to the standby entrance with L1 and A2, and A3, A2 and A3 would be given a FP Rider switch, correct? Could A2 then walk up to standby with L2 and A1 and A4 and A1/A4 would get get a Rider switch FP. Then A1, A2 get in the standby line with the littles (maybe), while A3 and A4 do RnR/Lightning McQueen with the Littles. Then, A3 and A4 could do ToT while A1 and A2 wait outside with this kids. Uggggh. I'm having a hard time once I get to this point.

If I am thinking correctly, A1 and A2 would still have a Rider Switch FP, so they could then go on once A3 and A4 are done.

Please help me sort all this out. I was pretty good at math, but this is like quantum physics by comparison, at least in my mind.

I think you made that really confusing and I don't think it will work that way. Up to 3 people can be given the rider swap at a time. Since you have 4 adults, I'd suggest taking the entire party up at the same time. A1&A2 will wait standby and you ask for rider swap for A3&A4. Since 3 can receive the pass, you could also get it added to either A1 OR A2 as well, which would give them a second ride. Then A1&A2 ride standby while A3&A4 wait with L1&L2 outside the ride. Then, A3&A4, along with A1 or A2 (whichever had the rider swap added), can ride in the FP line while the remaining adult waits with L1&L2. Everybody would ride once while EITHER A1 or A2 could have a second ride.

The other thing I want to mention is you don't state the height of L1 or L2. Are they tall enough to ride? Your post is confusing, because you mention L1&L2 maybe getting in the line for TOT and RnR. If the little ones are tall enough and want to ride TOT, then there's no need for a rider swap. Just get in the line together. If they are not tall enough for either of the rides, they will not be permitted in the line and you would be given rider swap. If they are tall enough but don't wish to ride, then the rider swap pass will most likely not be given. You can still do rider swap with a tall enough child who doesn't wish to ride, but they typically have the entire party wait in line together and then you perform a swap at boarding.

You will not be able to use A1 to get rider swaps for A2&A3, then immediately use A2 to get rider swaps for A1&A4 before A1 actually gets into the standby line to ride, nor will you be able to get the rider swap pass added to everyone then just skip having anyone ride standby so you can all go in the FP line. After the rider swaps are added, those who told the CM they will ride standby in order to get the rider swap for the others will immediately go into the standby line.

Oh trust me, I know it's confusing. Haha. I almost have to sit down and draw a diagram to try to understand. In my mind, 3 can receive the pass, but that would be PER child, right? So to all go up at once seems to be leaving rides on the table, if that makes sense. Theoretically, A1 with child would get 3 passes, and A2 with different child would get 3 passes. I just don't really know how to make it work. Not trying to skip the standby line (I wish!) or anything. Just trying to maximize the rides available to us. Does this make sense at all?

The kiddos are both not tall enough for either. In my mind, I was seeing the grandparents taking the kids through the ToT standby line and one riding after another while waiting with the kids (I don't know why I was thinking this) so that we could go ride RnR. Like I said, my brain was getting fuzzy trying to figure it all out.

Kids cant enter the line if they are not tall enough to ride, so you cant do that last part.

Oh trust me, I know it's confusing. Haha. I almost have to sit down and draw a diagram to try to understand. In my mind, 3 can receive the pass, but that would be PER child, right? So to all go up at once seems to be leaving rides on the table, if that makes sense. Theoretically, A1 with child would get 3 passes, and A2 with different child would get 3 passes. I just don't really know how to make it work. Not trying to skip the standby line (I wish!) or anything. Just trying to maximize the rides available to us. Does this make sense at all?

The kiddos are both not tall enough for either. In my mind, I was seeing the grandparents taking the kids through the ToT standby line and one riding after another while waiting with the kids (I don't know why I was thinking this) so that we could go ride RnR. Like I said, my brain was getting fuzzy trying to figure it all out.

Yeah, the grandparents definitely could not take the kids into the standby line for TOT if they are too short to ride. I see what you're trying to do with maximizing rides, but with your party makeup, it won't really work to your benefit. You could hypothetically have A1 use L1 to get rider swaps for A2, A3, and A4, but then there wouldn't be an extra adult to use L2 to get rider swaps. Since A1 will be entering the standby line in order for the other adults to get the rider swap, then A1 cannot be used in a second group to have the rider swap added to their band until they are done riding. Likewise, with A2, A3, and A4 getting rider swaps added to their band, they cannot be used at the same time to take L2 up to get rider swaps for everyone else.

Maybe this will make more sense. All of the people going up for one rider swap are broken into Group 1 and Group 2. Group 1 are those who will be riding first (in your case, standby). Group 2 consists of everyone who will be riding second using rider swap and whatever too short kid(s) that will be shown to get the rider swap. No one that is in Group 1 or Group 2 can be used in another rider swap scenario at the same time. Once both groups have done their respective rides, then you can start a new rider swap cycle if you choose.

You could use A1 riding standby to get a rider swap for A2 who is waiting with L1 and at the same time use A3 riding standby to get a rider swap for A4 who is waiting with L2, but its kind of pointless as you'd still have 2 people riding standby and 2 people waiting with the kids. Far simpler to just have A1 ride standby and get the rider swap for the other 3 or have A1 and A2 ride standby so A1 doesn't have to ride alone, and then A3, A4, and EITHER A1 or A2 could also get the rider swap. The last option is to have A1, A2, and A3 ride standby, leaving A4 with both kids. A4 would get rider swap along with 2 people out of A1, A2, and A3.

If you had more adults, then you could use both kids to maximize rider swap rides, but with 4 adults, you simply don't have enough adults to use both kids to get 3 rider swaps each at the same time. You need at least 1 adult riding first in Group 1 to get the rider swap for the others. If you want to get all 3 rider swaps. then that takes up all 3 other adults. There's no one left to be part of a new rider swap set with L2. Before rider swap went digital, you could have maximized rider swap better using 2 kids, as 1 adult could have gotten a paper pass for 3 others using 1 child, then another adult could have gone up using the second child and doing the same thing. Now with the rider swaps being attached to magic bands and only being able to have one rider swap at a time on each magic band, there is no way to really maximize the 3 swaps per child with 2 kids and only 4 adults.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter