Tower of Terror for 3 - almost 4 year old??

We just got back from Disney and my dd3 who will turn 4 in Jan was 41 inches, so we took her on BTMRR and splash and knew she would love it, since she was a big barnstormer fan last year. She really wanted to ride TOT, she remembered me and my DH riding it last year with my older son. The first day at MGM we told her no ( I was not a big fan of the ride and my DH doesn't like it at all). My 2nd ds6 really wanted to ride, I think to show up my older ds9 who didn't want to do it again this year. My dd was so persistent. We brought her over to watch it drop, and listen to the people scream, and she just seemed more excited than ever to go (she is such a thrill junkie, even at home). I asked her if she was sure she wanted to go on, I said "are you sure you want to do it, its really, really scary?"
She asked me "Is it going to hurt a lot?" :confused3 So I said "no, it doesn''t hurt you...." and then she said "So what is there to be afraid of?":rotfl:
So, I took her on with my ds6 and sat between them. My hands were so sweaty and my ds6's hands were too, we were both a nervous wreck. :scared1:
Not dd, though, she was squealing with delight! I've never seen anything like her before! Now, granted she didn't get freaked out by the preshow, because most of that went over her head. She ran off to tell my DH that "her hiney kept going up and down in her seat!":lmao: She really wanted to go again, but no one else wanted to take her. Maybe she'll always be like that, maybe as she gets older, she will become more fearful, who knows.. But like everyone else has said, it depends on the child, and you know your child best. As far as safety, she was one inch over the minimum and I feel like physically it wasn't an issue at all. HTH!

In January we took our DS when he was 3 (he turned 4 in June) and he was ok on the ride, but says he won't ride it again until he is 'braver'. I usually err on the side of protection, as he had corrective heart surgery when he was 2 days old, but I never gave thought to this being a problem with his heart (and neither did his cardiologist). We bought the picture of him riding it- he looks so small and so serious. I love it.

I won't, however, let him ride Mission Space ever, because of the impact on a small body. Perhaps I am being over protective, but I imagine that ride puts far more stress on your body than ToT. I know I have had a headache after riding it both times I tried it. So I don't ride that one anymore either.

My DD will also be turning 4 in Nov (not sure yet how tall she is) and we're doing in Oct. Even if she's tall enough, we will not let her on Dino or ToT until she's a bit bigger and her body is stronger. She's been on roller coasters, but, like a PP said, it's not the same movements as ToT (Dino would just scare her and it is jerkier than most roller coasters). The way DH & I figure, she has her entire life ahead of her to go on the bigger rides, we don't want to risk her hurting her neck or back. DH & I (remember, this is just our opinions) feel that just because a child is all enough doesn't mean their little bodies can handle all the jerking and stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter