Tours for Adults

PlutoFan76

Rebecca
For those of you who have gone on the tours, which did you like the best? What are the pros and cons of each? Are there any more geared towards adults than kids and families?

Wild Africa Trek is definitely more for adults than children. I don't know if there's an age limit but there were none on our tour.

#1 Wild Africa Trek is my favorite. There was a young girl on my tour, who really enjoyed it. I believe there is some sort of size requirment as you have to be able to navigate the rope bridge. When we were eating lunch at the Boma, a giraffe was right there snacking.
#2 Keys to the Kingdom is my second favorite. The tour guide was wonderful. And Haunted Mansion broke down while we were on it: we got to sit at the ballroom scene for a while and really study, then they had to turn up the lights and walk us out. Also really liked getting down underneath MK, as I had heard so much about it.
#3 Then Undiscovered Future World, as third favorite. It seemed like we spent quite a bit of time looking at things that were closed/no longer in use, which was sadly nostalgic. But there were also parts I really enjoyed like going in to the VIP Lounge in The Seas and being able to peek into the room where the Princesess were putting on their makeup (we were instructed not to stare).
#4 Magic to Marceline is fourth, mostly due to the narrative of the tour guide, who made it sound like Walt had Disney World in mind as an end goal the entire time, instead of following the true arch of his life path.

My first-ever WDW tour was Backstage Magic. That was back in 1997. It was a splurge, but well worth the money and the investment of time for a full-day tour. Pretty-much any tour that goes into backstage areas has a minimum age requirement of 16 years or older. Wilderness Backtrail Adventure at Ft. Wilderness is a lot of fun. It's a Segway tour. There used to be a Segway tour at Epcot, but unfortunately it is no more. Keys To The Kingdom is pretty good. Marceline to MK is so-so. I had high expectations for Undiscovered Future World, but a mediocre tour guide who made it seem too long. Backstage Safari at DAK is also gone, but was a really fun tour. I hope they bring it back. Another really fun (and short) tour is the jet ski tour on Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. The guide takes you to some interesting sites, and shares a little back story. Then you get some "free time" to play on the jet skis in a large, open area on Bay Lake.

I always say-"If it's in a park you really enjoy, you'll love the tour." I've done several in 3 of the parks (if there are any in DHS, I haven't done them). Not surprisingly, since AK is my favorite park, I've loved the tours there best. I'd love to do the Backstage one now that it's slightly different.

#1 Wild Africa Trek is my favorite. There was a young girl on my tour, who really enjoyed it. I believe there is some sort of size requirment as you have to be able to navigate the rope bridge. When we were eating lunch at the Boma, a giraffe was right there snacking.
#2 Keys to the Kingdom is my second favorite. The tour guide was wonderful. And Haunted Mansion broke down while we were on it: we got to sit at the ballroom scene for a while and really study, then they had to turn up the lights and walk us out. Also really liked getting down underneath MK, as I had heard so much about it.
#3 Then Undiscovered Future World, as third favorite. It seemed like we spent quite a bit of time looking at things that were closed/no longer in use, which was sadly nostalgic. But there were also parts I really enjoyed like going in to the VIP Lounge in The Seas and being able to peek into the room where the Princesess were putting on their makeup (we were instructed not to stare).
#4 Magic to Marceline is fourth, mostly due to the narrative of the tour guide, who made it sound like Walt had Disney World in mind as an end goal the entire time, instead of following the true arch of his life path.

100% Agree! I'm totally excited for the DestiNations Discovered Tour of the World Showcase at EPCOT! Hopefully headed down to do that one soon!

We really liked the Steam Train tour out of Magic Kingdom. It was almost a 3 hour tour for $60/pp., Pretty good deal. And we loved the tour!

As a solo traveler I have done a few tours at WDW. The first is the Segway Tour at Epcot but I don't think they offer that tour any longer. The other was the Epcot Dive Quest which of course you have to be a certified scuba diver but my all-time favorite tour. I can't wait to do it again.

We liked the backstage tour a lot but there was a lot of on and off the bus to go somewhere else. overall really interesting. We only took this tour because we have never been able to get into keys to the kingdom (which we're doing next trip).

We love the Ultimate VIP Thrills tour and when budget allows, we will go on it every trip. Adult only (16+), we've never seen more than 7 people total in a group. Lunch is at a higher end sit down place (usually brown derby). It's one of the few VIP tour guide run tours. It's all the rides you want to do plus a few more that disney calls "a thrill" (you skip epcot but there a vip version of this for food festival + the rides there) and unlimited fast pass so barely no wait to get on anything. Any ride with multiple tracks you can ride both tracks with no wait. Some of the even more popular rides you can do a few times in a row. Transporation between parks is a private van and you use the cast entrances so you get on the van next to the last ride and go into the next part directly next to the first ride there. Really great info about some lesser known backstage areas you pass through (much better info that the backstage tour) but it's not a backstage tour. It lasts about 7 hours, plenty of good spots to take a break and probably the calmest you'll walk around disney since it's the vip group and you go from a to b in a very comfortable direct path. They drop you back off at any park or the transportation depot if you want to get to a car you parked there when it's done, again using a direct cm entrance.

Wow, that Ultimate VIP Thrills tour looks like all my must do rides in one day. I wouldn't pay that money for a large group but for a solo trip it seems pretty reasonable. It could be tons of fun to do that then go to Epcot for a birthday dinner. I could hit all 4 parks on my birthday and most of my must do rides. Sounds like a winner. Now I just have to hope they don't change the days of the week for the tour.

We liked the backstage tour a lot but there was a lot of on and off the bus to go somewhere else. overall really interesting. We only took this tour because we have never been able to get into keys to the kingdom (which we're doing next trip).

We love the Ultimate VIP Thrills tour and when budget allows, we will go on it every trip. Adult only (16+), we've never seen more than 7 people total in a group. Lunch is at a higher end sit down place (usually brown derby). It's one of the few VIP tour guide run tours. It's all the rides you want to do plus a few more that disney calls "a thrill" (you skip epcot but there a vip version of this for food festival + the rides there) and unlimited fast pass so barely no wait to get on anything. Any ride with multiple tracks you can ride both tracks with no wait. Some of the even more popular rides you can do a few times in a row. Transporation between parks is a private van and you use the cast entrances so you get on the van next to the last ride and go into the next part directly next to the first ride there. Really great info about some lesser known backstage areas you pass through (much better info that the backstage tour) but it's not a backstage tour. It lasts about 7 hours, plenty of good spots to take a break and probably the calmest you'll walk around disney since it's the vip group and you go from a to b in a very comfortable direct path. They drop you back off at any park or the transportation depot if you want to get to a car you parked there when it's done, again using a direct cm entrance.

Wow this one sounds fantastic!! I'm doing the Wild Africa Trek this trip, but I'm definitely adding this to my future bucket list

Wow, that Ultimate VIP Thrills tour looks like all my must do rides in one day. I wouldn't pay that money for a large group but for a solo trip it seems pretty reasonable. It could be tons of fun to do that then go to Epcot for a birthday dinner. I could hit all 4 parks on my birthday and most of my must do rides. Sounds like a winner. Now I just have to hope they don't change the days of the week for the tour.

Easy to pull that one off, you'll be done by 2 or 3pm and in AK near dinosaur. A lot of epcot will be walk on by the time you get there. Near the end of the tour they will start to ask where everyone needs to get too and what options there are. You might be tempted to walk out of AK and head to the bus to epcot but the van is so quick (and parked under dinosaur), getting dropped off elsewhere near a bus will probably be faster if there isn't more in AK you want to do before you leave there.

I wouldn't do a large group unless everyone paid for themselves, but for our father/daughter days in WDW, it's a great day!

Last edited:

Is key very hard to get
Say a month in advance

Wild Africa is my favorite. I did a solo trip with the focus of tours and character meals. The Future World and the Undiscovered Destinations were consecutive days. Destinations picks up where Future left off. The Backstage Magic Tour is fun if you want to be in the parks but not have to buy a day ticket. Marceline Tour highlight is going under the Haunted Mansion while the ride is working. Behind the Seeds tour is interesting but it did have kids, kind of hit or miss. I have been trying for 2 years to do Steam Trains but it is always not offered when I go. I am looking forward to the Tea Tour at Epcot this year.

I would love to see some new tours. I think behind the scenes of River of Light, Fantasmic, Lion King and Nemo Shows would be interesting, Beauty and Beast Show, and Dream Suite would be my choices.

Thanks for the info! We (adults only) are looking to do another tour. Was really considering the Backstage Magic Tour but its still around $200/per person right?

There is a tour at AKL which used to be just for guests but I think they have opened it up to everyone now. The Wayanama(sp?) safari. It starts with appetizers at AKL then the group get a personal safari around the resorts savannahs then back to Jiko for a group meal. The meal (when we went) was served family style with pre-dinner cocktail and wine with each course, all very good food. We got a little gift bag at the end with a pin (which we gave to a couple of our table mates because they had kids and didn't get enough to share) and some chocolates. It think it started around 4:30 or so and lasted 2 hours or so https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/animal-kingdom-lodge/wanyama-resort-safari-and-dinner/. We have also done the diving in the Living Seas a couple of time, if you aren't a certified diver I think they offer a snorkling type thing. We've done the Keys to the Kingdom, at the time we did it we walked around the park, road a few rides, did the underground and had lunch. I'm not sure if it's the same now as then. We also have done the backstage magic but I think they have changed it since we did it. It included 3 parks, MK, Epcot and HS (I don't think AK was open at the time). HS was a working studio then so you spent a lot of time backstage there, you rode a ride or two at each park and had lunch. It took all day. We've thought about the Ultimate Day of Thrills, I've read lately you don't get lunch at HBD but at a QS somewhere now and a lot of people were upset about that (maybe sunshine seasons?). What stops us there is my son can't do Star Tours (PTSD small enclosed spaces) nor RnRC (permanent nerve damage in spinal cord) so we would have to sit out those. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/ultimate-day-of-thrills-vip-tour/

Does this tour require a park ticket? When looking at the description through Disney, I do not see it mentioned.
Yes you need a separate admission ticket to Epcot. So you’d have the park ticket and the tour price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter