Tour group to take us to Normandy cemeteries from London?

Discussion in 'UK Trip Planning Forum' started by bobbiwoz, May 28, 2018.

1. bobbiwoz

bobbiwoz I'm happy to dance with you!

We are on next year’s DCL Transatlantic from Dover, and we really want to see the Normandy cemeteries. Is there a tour company that does these?

Is it better to fly into Paris and go from these?

Thank you for any information.

Bobbi

2. sam_rogers

sam_rogers painting with all the colours of the wind

depending on how long you've got for a tour there are definitely companies that do organised tours. https://www.leger.co.uk/battlefields/tours/d-day-landings-normandy this is just an example of one but I'm sure there will be plenty more with a google search. I did a week long ww1 battlefield tour of the Somme, Ypres, passchendaele among other places when I was at school and it's well worth doing!

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. bobbiwoz

Thank you!

sam_rogers likes this.
  5. chocolateMinnie

chocolateMinnie DIS Veteran

I know if you look on the cwgc site they have links if you want to visit a specific cemetery to visit a family member rather than a generic tour.
    Good Luck and would love to hear how you get on.

6. chocolateMinnie

chocolateMinnie DIS Veteran

Also if you have time in the UK can I suggest you try and get to the American War Cemetery and memorial in Madingley just outside Cambridge.
    Beautiful cemetery and chapel plus a commemorative wall for the US army fallen serving in the U.K. or USAF or navy.
    The wall commemorates Joe Kennedy Jr and Glenn Miller amongst others.

7. bobbiwoz

We are not looking for a particular name. My dad was in Europe. Actually he lived with a family in Wales for some of the time. We kept in touch with the family for years and years. The daughter came to America and worked as a nurse for a year, and visited us in NJ. This was in the 1950’s. At some point our letters were returned.

Thank you.

chocolateMinnie likes this.
  8. saintrob

saintrob DIS Veteran

I'm a History teacher and have taken several trips to the Normandy battlefields and graveyards. If you want any tips/advice, then give me a shout. We've always booked a guide to go with us as they have so much knowledge of the area. It's an amazing place to visit - we've always done the key places, Arromanches, American war cemetery, Bayeux cemetery, D Day beaches, Pegasus bridge.

Lucys dad and bobbiwoz like this.
  9. bobbiwoz

Still looking for a tour. We are ready to book air. Any more specific suggestions regarding tour groups?

10. star72232

star72232 Mouseketeer

My DS and I will be going to Europe next year and we are looking into tours of Normandy. I found these, which seem to be pretty good.

https://www.normandy-sightseeing-tours.com/d-day-tours/full-day.html

We are planning the half day Juno Beach tour (my DS will be 12 and even though he's very interested in WWII history, I think a half day is enough for him). We are doing the Juno one because we are Canadian. If you are planning a full day, or would like to do 2 days of tours, I imagine staying in Caen would be better, but we will be doing it as a day trip from Paris.

11. bobbiwoz

Thank you...we know we have to get to London at least the day before our cruise, but we may try to visit Paris as well.