Torn over going to the park while in Japan

Sea-Donkey

DIS Veteran
I'm in Japan, about 30 miles Southwest of Tokyo, on business. Been here for 10 days with another week and this weekend to go. Trying to decide whether to go or not. I want to see the park to compare to WDW, but I already miss my kids and will feel guilty about going without them. Another guy, who's family is also Disney fanatics, is up for going...going with a guy to ride Dumbo sounds strange. Took the family twice in 2010 and going again Feb. 2012, so I shouldn't feel too bad, right?

YOu should not feel bad... I mean how often does a person get to go to Japan? If your conscious does get the best of you just bring each a couple souvenirs, when I was little that always made me feel better when my grandparents went somewhere. Hell I was happy with all the little shampoos they brought back from the hotels :rotfl:

I was there last Friday for the first time and while TDL was kind of neat to go to, it's still not as good as DL and the MK. The souvenirs were very lacking, the food was disgusting, and the rides were pretty much the same as the US just in Japanese. Poohs Hunny Hut was amazing to see though! If it's not too out of the way it's worth a days visit. My DH and arrived at 8 and finished the entire park by noon. The Easter parade was worth seeing as well as the Easter decor. Now Tokyo Disney Sea, which was not opened and what I really wanted to see, I am sure that is well worth a trip out there. That parks looks amazing from what I could see!

Did the park today and glad I did. The announcer saying "Happy Eas-STAAA" during the parade every couple of sentences was hilarious.
The food at Blue Bayou was good and the admosphere with the Pirates of Caribbean ride loading and backdrop was cool. Very similar to Mexico at Epcot. Had a Casey's Corner, or whatever they call it, hot dog for lunch. It was OK but wasn't quite American.
Souvenirs were cheap compared to the US parks, I thought the selection was good. The miniature character figures were top notch...picked up a Goofy for my collection.
Space Mountain seats being side by side were unique as was the railroad going around Rivers of America instead of the whole park.
The ride narrations in Japanese while some animatronic characters were speaking English was interesting.

I can post pictures later if anyone is interested.

I'd love to see your pictures. Glad you could go. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit there in December...even with all the crowds. I especially enjoyed the park with the Christmas decorations and with some of the rides incorporating the Christmas theme. I did enjoy TDS more only because it was something new. However, I had a great time at TDL. I wish I could have spent more time there.

Had a Casey's Corner, or whatever they call it, hot dog for lunch. It was OK but wasn't quite American.

Hot dogs in Japan are different -- nasty, if you ask me. It's almost impossible to find a good American dog there. Ironically, Casey's WAS one of the few places that had "real" American dogs, but they stopped a few years ago when Japan cut off U.S. beef imports over mad cow... and while you can now get U.S. beef again in Japan, Casey's is still serving J-dogs.

How's that for minutia?

I'm glad you went :) and this is what I have to say about seeing pictures... I think it says it all
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: :banana:

Hot dogs in Japan are different -- nasty, if you ask me. It's almost impossible to find a good American dog there. Ironically, Casey's WAS one of the few places that had "real" American dogs, but they stopped a few years ago when Japan cut off U.S. beef imports over mad cow... and while you can now get U.S. beef again in Japan, Casey's is still serving J-dogs.

How's that for minutia?

J-dogs! HAHA I love it!

I'm glad you went :) and this is what I have to say about seeing pictures... I think it says it all
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: :banana:

Pictures are on another thread, but looks like you found them.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2708500

I'm going to Japan again in 3 weeks on business (also again). Disney Sea was closed last time, so I may check it out if I can find someone else that wants to go. We're planning to see Hiroshima and possibly Hakone this time. Last time I just saw Mt. Fuji and Yokohoma and surrounding areas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter