Topamax is making me stupid (UPDATE pg 7)

disneymama73

<font color=magenta>Why is it called MENstruation?
Since I started taking Topamax about 2 months ago, I have become stupid. People will ask me questions I know the answer to, and I look at them blankly like I have no idea what they are talking about. I can't find the word I am looking for. For example, I will tell someone about a doctor we've gone to for years and then not be able to remember his name.

However, I haven't had a migraine in two months. And I've lost 25 lbs. Go me. :woohoo:

So, if you have migraines, you can stay away from Topamax and be in severe pain or you can take it, be pain-free and dumb as a box of rocks.

Thank goodness I'm blonde. At least I can blame it on something.

Excuse me while I'm....
myspaceicons114.gif

So the Topamax has caused the 25 lb. weight loss? Because I've got a migraine right now & I'm willing to risk my mind for a 25 lb. weight loss. :rotfl:

But seriously, I looked up Topamax in my drug guide (I'm a nurse) & the most common side effects are: dizziness, drowsiness, fatigue, impaired concentration/memory, nervousness, psychomoter slowing, speech problems. abnormal vision, nausea, and weight loss. It sounds like you're having a lot of side effects. Have you tried any other meds? I would talk to my doctor if I were you.

I have tried loads of meds. So far this is the only one that has worked. I used to have 4-5 a week. I haven't even had one single migraine since starting Topamax.

I'll take the weight loss, and if I can't come up with a word now and then, I'll take that, too. :rotfl: My neurologist told me about the possible weight loss. But I will most definitely let him know about the forgetfulness, especially if it gets worse.

I have trigeninal neuralgia and a lot of the same meds are used to treat TN and migraines.
I used Topamax for a while--I stopped because it didn't help the pain.It did cause me to have a lot of "blonde moments" though.
Maybe I should have stuck with it for the weight loss. :lmao:

I've also used Neurontin, Gabitril and Tegretol. Same thing. I can't remember anything (even forgot my house number one day and we had lived here for 11 yrs at that point!)on those drugs.

Do you find that your sentences suddenly sound like "Uh...I went to .....ummm..."? :rotfl:

Good luck with the Topamax---hope it continues to help your headaches.

As a side note--a few of the nurses I work with were prescribed Topamax for weight loss. Worked for them! But that metallic taste it leaves....YUCK.

Poohlovr said:
Do you find that your sentences suddenly sound like "Uh...I went to .....ummm..."? :rotfl:

YES! That is exactly what my sentences are sounding like! My life has become one blonde moment after another.... :lmao:

I took Neurontin for quite some time, and it did nothing for me.

Poohlovr said:
As a side note--a few of the nurses I work with were prescribed Topamax for weight loss. Worked for them! But that metallic taste it leaves....YUCK.

Forgot to comment on the metallic taste. Holy cow, no more Coke for me! Right after I started the Topamax, I went through the McD's drive-up and ordered a large Coke. I took one sip and I swear to you, it tasted just like the Beverly at Epcot! So I drive back around, tell them something is wrong with my drink, they give me a new one, and it tastes exactly the same. :rolleyes: Then I read about the change in taste with carbonated beverages. Hey, maybe that's why I lost 25 lbs. :rotfl2:

Totally agree on the neurontin---didn't help my pain at all. I had a neurologist at that time who insisted "It has to work". Well, guess what??? It doesn't! I should add that my next neuro appt was with a different doc. :rolleyes:

When I was on Topamax, I drank strictly water. Everything else was awful.

Poohlovr said:
Totally agree on the neurontin---didn't help my pain at all. I had a neurologist at that time who insisted "It has to work". Well, guess what??? It doesn't! I should add that my next neuro appt was with a different doc. :rolleyes:

When I was on Topamax, I drank strictly water. Everything else was awful.

Oh that stinks. I can drink anything non-carbonated. But I have mostly been drinking water.

How long were you on it? Was your appetite decreased? Did the bad taste go away?

I had to re-read the thread title. I thought it said TAMPAX is making me stupid. And then I said to myself, "Why would she think that a tampon is making her stupid?" :confused3 :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl:

TOV

TheOtherVillainess said:
I had to re-read the thread title. I thought it said TAMPAX is making me stupid. And then I said to myself, "Why would she think that a tampon is making her stupid?" :confused3 :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl:

TOV

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Btw, TOV, where ya been? I haven't seen ya in awhile! :wave2:

I started my Topamax on Wednesday. They are gradually building me up to the 100mg dose. Withing a day of taking it I noticed my pop tasting bad! I thought it was me, but then I read the side effect sheet and put 2 and 2 together. I have not had a migraine since I started taking it. They gave me Relpax to take at the onset of one if I did get one. The weight loss would be an added bonus!

hemispheredancer said:
I started my Topamax on Wednesday. They are gradually building me up to the 100mg dose. Withing a day of taking it I noticed my pop tasting bad! I thought it was me, but then I read the side effect sheet and put 2 and 2 together. I have not had a migraine since I started taking it. They gave me Relpax to take at the onset of one if I did get one. The weight loss would be an added bonus!

Good luck! I hope you have the success with your migraines that I have had. It was hard to give up pop, but when it tastes like that, who wants to drink it anyway? :lmao:

Ahh...I don't know, disneymama, I am thinking if you are having a better quality of life w/o those damn headaches or I should say MIGRAINES..then so be it and if you forget :confused: your kids names, I am sure they will remind you... :lmao:

And not to mention the weight loss...now I know you did not take it with the idea of losing weight but hey if that came with it call that the "bonus round"!!!

I have had some minor foot surgery (last week) and the pain has been HORRIBLE. I attempted one day with out taking the meds they gave me and what a MESS I was :crazy: . DH was like...will you just take the meds and I am back on them...hey they make he dipsey and dopey BUT at least I am PAIN FREE!!!

Good Luck, Disneymama!!! :sunny:

disneymama73 said:
I have tried loads of meds. So far this is the only one that has worked. I used to have 4-5 a week. I haven't even had one single migraine since starting Topamax.

I'll take the weight loss, and if I can't come up with a word now and then, I'll take that, too. :rotfl: My neurologist told me about the possible weight loss. But I will most definitely let him know about the forgetfulness, especially if it gets worse.
This is so interesting. I've tried tons of meds for my migraines too. I have Maxalt I can take for really bad ones and I also occasionally take Fioricet. I'd love to take a med that would just eliminate them all together! I may call my doctor tomorrow and see if he'll prescribe this for me.

About the weight loss, do you actually have a decreased appetite?

momrek06 said:
Ahh...I don't know, disneymama, I am thinking if you are having a better quality of life w/o those damn headaches or I should say MIGRAINES..then so be it and if you forget :confused: your kids names, I am sure they will remind you... :lmao:

And not to mention the weight loss...now I know you did not take it with the idea of losing weight but hey if that came with it call that the "bonus round"!!!

I have had some minor foot surgery (last week) and the pain has been HORRIBLE. I attempted one day with out taking the meds they gave me and what a MESS I was :crazy: . DH was like...will you just take the meds and I am back on them...hey they make he dipsey and dopey BUT at least I am PAIN FREE!!!

Good Luck, Disneymama!!! :sunny:

I guess I'll choose thin, stupid and not in pain. :lmao: Just call me Dopey! :crazy:

I hope your foot is feeling better soon! Keep taking your meds! :hug:

allie&mattsmom said:
This is so interesting. I've tried tons of meds for my migraines too. I have Maxalt I can take for really bad ones and I also occasionally take Fioricet. I'd love to take a med that would just eliminate them all together! I may call my doctor tomorrow and see if he'll prescribe this for me.

About the weight loss, do you actually have a decreased appetite?

I have always taken meds to stop the pain, but I've never found something to prevent them. This is like a miracle to me. Def. talk to you doctor. :goodvibes:

Yes, I do have a decreased appetite. My carb and chocolate cravings are GONE. And I get full much quicker. I love food and have always been a big eater. Sometimes I actually have to force myself to eat something. If you are already very thin, that could be a problem.

disneymama73 said:
I guess I'll choose thin, stupid and not in pain. :lmao: Just call me Dopey! :crazy:

I hope your foot is feeling better soon! Keep taking your meds! :hug:

Ahhh...thanks so much Disneymama: And you will be Dopey :crazy: and they can just call me Dipsey :crazy: !!! :lmao:

:wave:

disneymama73 said:
Yes, I do have a decreased appetite. My carb and chocolate cravings are GONE. And I get full much quicker. I love food and have always been a big eater. Sometimes I actually have to force myself to eat something. If you are already very thin, that could be a problem.

I take Lithium for bipolar disorder and it did the same thing to my appetite. It destroyed it. I lost ten pounds since January. Ten pounds that I didnt need to lose. I fear that I will continue to lose weight and actually have to make an extra effort to eat. The lithium also makes me extremely thirsty and I easily down glasses of water at a time. Some nights I wake up every two hours to go to the bathroom because I have had so much to drink during the day. I feel like a pregnant woman. (and I miss my sleep).

It also fogs my brain to an extent which I blame on my blonde hair as well :thumbsup2 .

Just like many of you, I would rather feel good and just deal with the side effects.

Forevryoung said:
I take Lithium for bipolar disorder and it did the same thing to my appetite. It destroyed it. I lost ten pounds since January. Ten pounds that I didnt need to lose. I fear that I will continue to lose weight and actually have to make an extra effort to eat. The lithium also makes me extremely thirsty and I easily down glasses of water at a time. Some nights I wake up every two hours to go to the bathroom because I have had so much to drink during the day. I feel like a pregnant woman. (and I miss my sleep).

It also fogs my brain to an extent which I blame on my blonde hair as well :thumbsup2 .

Just like many of you, I would rather feel good and just deal with the side effects.

What does your dr. say about the weight loss? Maybe you could drink something like Ensure? I hope it works out for you because I know how much better I feel on the Topamax, and I do NOT want to go off of it.

:grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter